• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

internet speed

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
My internet, (Verizon Fios), has been extremely slow for a while now. However, every time I run an internet speed test, the results are better than what I'm paying for, (25mbps). I just ran a test on Oogla twice:

Ping 14ms 22ms
D/L 30.14 30.15
U/L 26.84 26.13

I'm using a pc and chrome. I do have an add blocker, but was using it before the slowdown started. I have not intentionally made any changes to any settings. :confused:

Google can take anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds to load. Every other site is slow and photos no longer appear "instantly". I can watch them as they load. Sometimes pages seem to hang for 5 - 10 seconds and then load quickly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you rebooted the computer recently? Memory leaks etc can cause this to happen.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Start by disabling all add-ons and extensions, if it speeds up chrome then one of them is causing the problem. You will have to use trial and error turning them off one by one to find which one is the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's your DNS.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What is DNS?? I am having problems with Firefox "not responding" way too often.

DNS is the process by which your computer interprets a domain name into its Internet address. Your internet provider is likely doing this for you now and they don't always have the fastest servers for this purpose. If you find you are waiting for the browser to resolve the domain (which would be a delay after entering a new domain) this is likely the reason why.

Here's a decent overview of how to change DNS, which may improve performance. It may not. Do so at your own discretion, and be sure to keep info on how to change it back in case of issues with your computer (unlikely, but you never know...).

http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/

Sent from my iPad

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Problems like this can have a number of different causes, so there is no easy one-size-fits-all fix.

Addressing points from several of the above posts.

• Some service providers (Verizon? I don't know) have been found to play tricks when they detect you are going to a speed test site. They may be throttling your normal traffic, but allow the speed tests to be run unencumbered, giving you an artificially high number.

• Make sure any firewall program you have installed has been configured to give full access permissions to your browser. Sometimes updates to either the firewall or the browser may cause the current browser version not to be recognized as a program allowed to run freely. Sometimes you may need to delete the permissions for your browser from the firewall options (with your browser not running) and let these permissions be re-established the next time you try to browse.

• As mentioned, any installed browser extensions may be poorly written, or not updated to accommodate updates to the browser, and cause slowdowns or outright failures. Try uninstalling or deactivating them one at a time and see if you can find one that makes a difference.

• DNS = Dynamic Name System. It's what your system uses to convert an alphanumeric URL address to its corresponding IP number needed for the internet.

Here's how all this works, for ANY browser:
    1. You enter a URL you wish to go to,or click on a hyperlink (e.g. [noparse]www.tugbbs.com[/noparse]) .
    2. The internet can't directly use the alphanumeric domain name, so the browser sends a query to your operating system to look up the address for that domain name.
    3. Your operating system sends the request to the Dynamic Name System (DNS) server which your system is configured to use. Typically this is a DNS server at your internet provider, but it could be elsewhere.
    4. The DNS server looks up the domain name and returns the numeric IP address (e.g. [noparse]www.tugbbs.com[/noparse] = 69.16.236.4) to your operating system, which passes it on to your browser.
    5. Your browser THEN actually sends your request out to the given IP, again through your operating system.

It's sort of like when you want to send a postal letter to somebody - you can't just put their name on the envelope, you must look up their mailing address first. This all happens in the background and it's usually pretty quick so you're not even aware of it.

When the DNS fails to return the IP number before the browser times out and quits waiting for it, you receive a "We did not find results" message in MSIE, "Server not found" in Firefox, and I don't know what message Chrome returns . This either means the domain name you are requesting does not exist, or that the DNS lookup failed for one reason or another.

But if the DNS server is just slow, it may return the IP after a delay, which slows everything down. Some internet service providers' DNS servers are habitually overloaded and can be very slow or fail (i.e. timeout) at times of high use, but reasonably quick at others.

Note that the browser can only request that the DNS lookup take place, and then the process is handed off to your operating system and then to the DNS server for execution. So it is essential that the DNS process, which is not controlled by the browser, works quickly and efficiently in order for your browser to be able to access sites well.

You don't have to use the default DNS server from your internet provider. There are a number of free DNS servers out there you can use. Two of the most popular are supplied by Google (IPs 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

Here's a useful link listing quite a few free public DNS servers, and which contains a link for finding how to update the DNS setting for your particular system: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
fixed

Thanx all. I followed Ken's suggestion to change the DNS and it seems to be faster now. Time will tell ~ Ron ;)

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Also, by default Chrome leaves pieces of itself running, and I think sometimes it loses track of what they're doing.

Click the 3-bar icon at the upper right and click Settings, Show Advanced Settings, look under System and clear the check in "Continue running background ..."; then close this tab.

End Chrome. Start Task monitor with Ctrl-Shift-Esc. Click Processes tab and look for "chrome.exe"; they should all be ending (or ended already). If not, you can reboot, or click on the one with biggest memory use and then End Process (this'll be faster than rebooting). Usually that will end all of them.

With the option unchecked, you'll find these orphans a lot less often.