• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui car rental: budget vs. enterprise vs alamo trade offs?

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a car reservation for Maui: budget $255, enterprise $264, and alamo $278. Should I go with budget, or is it worth more for either enterprise or alamo? If so, what are your reasons to choose enterprise or alamo?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have used http://discounthawaiicarrental.com for years, and we always pick the Co. with the lowest price. Can't tell any difference at all between the major brands.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Go with the cheapest.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer Alamo as I can pick my own car from the lot. For $23 arguable whether it is worth it.

I think I would go with Alamo but I can understand saving the money and going with Budget.

Your choice!

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

barefootnAR

Reaction score
If you are an Alamo Insider and finish your booking (pay) before you arrive, then you can by pass the inside, go straight to the lot attendants, hand them your paperwork you printed when you finished booking on line, choose your car and drive away.
Each major rental car that has a loyalty club will have some special perks that might might it worth paying a few dollars more to book with them.
Budget has Fast Track for their club members and it will get you in and out in a hurry,
I have used all three that you listed and was satisfied with each.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Autoslash just lowered my budget rental 90 minutes ago) another $13 so we're going to go with budget unless Costco price checking yields a better price before we go.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Did consider alamo because of the pick your own car but with the current price drop at budget (via autoslash) we will go with the best price.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you don't already have a Budget membership (I think it's called Fast Break) sign up. I "think" they require you to have a certain number of rentals in a year to keep the membership, but you can certainly use it for this rental. Once you get the number, just contact Budget to have it added to your rental agreement. Then it will make it easier to pick up the car.

TFTG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always booked with Costco, as their rates have been the cheapest from my online searching and typically include the additional driver. For September travel dates, I checked the DiscountHawaiiCarRental website and it was a little more than the Costco rates I checked them against. But again would depend on what your car preference is.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 3 days before arrival and Costco dropped quite a bit, so now costco enterprise is essentially same price as budget (via autoslash) so for only $1 (total) get the extra driver included or for only $3/day I get an SUV. SUVs were $200 more but big price decrease today.

So decisions, decisions, $3/day more for the SUV or take the additional 10% savings on full size. Family of 4 so leaning towards the SUV, which wasn't an option before. All with costco and free extra driver.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. It always pays to keep checking each day. Could it drop even more over the next 3 days?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I would not choose Enterprise because they have a very bad reputation for bogus damage claims.

TFTG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not choose Enterprise because they have a very bad reputation for bogus damage claims.

Thanks for the heads up. Just to clarify though, Are you referring to Enterprise at the airport in Maui or Enterprise in general? I've used them before, not on Maui though, and was considering renting from them through Costco since they had the best rate for a SUV, but just want to double check based on your comment and experience with them.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know. We're going with Alamo

Maybe an isolated (?) experience but national (2011) tried to charge me almost $600 for this really small indentation (previously on car) on car door. I kept fighting and they eventually backed down.

I wasn't going to go down without a fight and have my insurance rates increase since my auto insurance was prepared to pay for it.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thanks for the heads up. Just to clarify though, Are you referring to Enterprise at the airport in Maui or Enterprise in general? I've used them before, not on Maui though, and was considering renting from them through Costco since they had the best rate for a SUV, but just want to double check based on your comment and experience with them.
I was speaking of Enterprise in general. I have not heard anything about their Maui operation, so I can't peak specifically to it.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Really? I've heard the same anecdotal statements re others over the years. In practice, I haven't had that experience with any major car rental company.

Sent from my iPad

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Ive had poor service at the Maui Budget. Maui Alamo was better imo.

cbs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
7 Mile Beach Resort
Just found some great car rental prices for Maui at carrentals.com. It is the best that I have seen in watching for the end of January and February 2016. It was on Jeeps, SUV's, convertibles and others. Through carrentals.com Dollar had a Chrysler 200 convertible for two weeks with the extra fees for $420.00. Thrifty had an Equinox for the same time at $399.
Has anybody found anything better from the airport OGG.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just found some great car rental prices for Maui at carrentals.com. It is the best that I have seen in watching for the end of January and February 2016. It was on Jeeps, SUV's, convertibles and others. Through carrentals.com Dollar had a Chrysler 200 convertible for two weeks with the extra fees for $420.00. Thrifty had an Equinox for the same time at $399.
Has anybody found anything better from the airport OGG.

On another thread about Costco car rentals someone just posted they got 11 days on Maui in March for somewhere in the $200's. This was through II. So if you have an II membership you could try that.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've rented from all three. Picked up the car, returned it, no problems.

I once rented from Alamo (at OGG) and someone crossed the line and side swiped the car. The entire left side was damaged. We returned the car, the attendant said "no problem". We filed the claim with Visa (turned down Alamo's coverage). Fast forward a year - Visa contact me and let me know they were closing the case because Alamo OGG never responded to the claim.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason that I should consider renting a Jeep or 4 wheel drive on Maui?

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only problem with Alamo is they seem to be the cheapest and there is always a long line to take the bus to the lot. I did do the online check in. Got off the bus, walked to the lot, they had my name on a list. Someone walked me to my car and I went to the gate, presented my license and credit card and I was off.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The only problem with Alamo is they seem to be the cheapest and there is always a long line to take the bus to the lot.

And they have multiple buses that, in my experience, don't take longer than five or eight minutes before they show up at the airport. I've waited a lot longer for others.

Oh, and how is being cheapest bad?

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm assuming it's because cheaper = good and Good = longer lines.

Yeah...good thing that poster didn't experience the Budget 30 minute line or else Alamo wouldn't be considered cheap... ;)

Sent from my iPad

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
We have used http://discounthawaiicarrental.com for years, and we always pick the Co. with the lowest price. Can't tell any difference at all between the major brands.

+1

As far as waiting in line goes, I'll take a 30 minute wait (which happened last February) in exchange for saving $100+ on an already expensive vacation in Maui.