• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you do? Beach Cottages stay

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently booked to reservations in Destin at Beach Cottages and Bay Club Ii.

-We checked into beach cottages and unfortunately received a room in the rear of the Resort. The fence was the view. We had a late check in at 4am so we just wanted to lay our heads down. My daughter heads to the bathroom and she finds a bug that looks to me like a roach. My husband killed and we were then on alert.

The next morning my husband reaches for his shoes and another roach runs out. I go to tell my mom to lift all bags from floor and another bug come from near sofa. At this point, I am past thru. I go to the front office and she tries to tell me they are not roaches but some type of water bug that is common in FL. I didn't have this problem last year.

We head to the beach and return and the hotel has sent Ecolab. Pest to spray and the smell is noticeable. Luckily, we had anoth reservation in Destin, so we leave on Saturday around 10.

We didn't return. I am upset as I hate I wasted points. What would you do? Is it acceptable to have any bug in your room? I didnt want to take anything with us from this resort.

Last edited:

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable to have any bug in your room? I didnt want to take anything with us from this resort.

Note what the experts say about Florida "The presence of palmetto bugs in our homes can be startling. Though their name is somewhat of a euphemism, palmetto bugs are also called the “Florida woods cockroach”, and they quite large for a species of cockroach (1 ½ to 2 inches in length). Palmetto bugs thrive in Florida because of the abundance of damp areas and frequent humid weather. Though palmetto bugs are more commonly found outside in foliage, trees, and sheltered outdoor areas, Palmetto bugs may be attracted to certain areas within our homes, such as bathrooms and other areas with perpetual damp areas (kitchen, laundry room)."

So, if you don't want any bugs at all, you might need to consider another state other than Florida. In Michigan, we only have roaches in areas of filth. But we don't have the climate of Florida. But we have mosquitoes. And not matter how much we clean we have house flies.

Staying in Florida during the hot humid season, in a ground floor building, and a cottage at that, I would expect Palmetto bugs. And if the exterminator was there, I would expect a smell.

PS. You might want to stay away from New York City.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Note what the experts say about Florida "The presence of palmetto bugs in our homes can be startling. Though their name is somewhat of a euphemism, palmetto bugs are also called the “Florida woods cockroach”, and they quite large for a species of cockroach (1 ½ to 2 inches in length). Palmetto bugs thrive in Florida because of the abundance of damp areas and frequent humid weather. Though palmetto bugs are more commonly found outside in foliage, trees, and sheltered outdoor areas, Palmetto bugs may be attracted to certain areas within our homes, such as bathrooms and other areas with perpetual damp areas (kitchen, laundry room)."

So, if you don't want any bugs at all, you might need to consider another state other than Florida. In Michigan, we only have roaches in areas of filth. But we don't have the climate of Florida. But we have mosquitoes. And not matter how much we clean we have house flies.

Staying in Florida during the hot humid season, in a ground floor building, and a cottage at that, I would expect Palmetto bugs. And if the exterminator was there, I would expect a smell.

Your points are valid. However, I expect the staff of an establishment to be aware of pests and take steps to insure they're eradicated as much as possible. To find one is forgivable, and we found a dead one in a closet at Marriott Grande Ocean in Hilton Head one year. To find several is not acceptable when we pay big bucks for upscale facilities. I do not know the level of luxury of this resort in question, but a word to the manager would be in order for sure and a couple drink certificates would be even better. My 2 cents. (I would never live in Florida for this very reason = bugs)

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
We Floridians sometimes joke that the Palmetto Bug (some of which are large enough to BBQ) should be our state bird!

One thing to understand about Palmetto Bugs is that they fly, and therefore appear in some places just because they can. They easily fly through open doors and windows and can also slither under a closed door like any other roach. They are NOT a sign of uncleanliness.

German Roaches -- much smaller, non-flying -- ARE a sign of uncleanliness, and a legitimate reason to be concerned with the housekeeping of a place.

In the bigger picture, if you visit Florida you will find hundreds of species of bugs, roaches, mosquitos (43 different species in Everglades National Park alone), no-see-ums, centipedes, millipedes, caterpillars, lizards, snakes of all kinds, big frogs and small, and all kinds of other stuff. Our climate and foliage are very conducive to lots of things, and they are just here. Everywhere.

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - but just not a fan of the extra guest

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I stayed at this resort last year but it was an upstairs unit.

We arrived at to the Wyndham Beach Cottage at 4am so when my daughter saw the first one, I counted it up to ok its ONE. But after the 3rd and 4th one...I truly believe that I don't want any guest in my room that aren't paying for my maintenance fees.:mad::mad: I also didn't want to have one of these FL bugs travel back to my house in GA either.

*Based on the feedback - I'll at least know to ask for an upstairs unit in the future. I didn't see any bugs at the Wyndham Bay Club II, but lost my close location to the beach.:(:(

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for feedback - I love FL and NY and have never been greeted by so many bugs in my room ever. GA has its share of bugs also. I have never had an issue in NY either. I count that as good luck at great hotels.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I stayed at this resort last year but it was an upstairs unit.

We arrived at to the Wyndham Beach Cottage at 4am so when my daughter saw the first one, I counted it up to ok its ONE. But after the 3rd and 4th one...I truly believe that I don't want any guest in my room that aren't paying for my maintenance fees.:mad::mad: I also didn't want to have one of these FL bugs travel back to my house in GA either.

*Based on the feedback - I'll at least know to ask for an upstairs unit in the future. I didn't see any bugs at the Wyndham Bay Club II, but lost my close location to the beach.:(:(

I don't know if an upper floor would work. I've encountered the Palmetto bugs in great numbers when a sinkful of dirty dishes were left on about the 10th floor of a hotel with a kitchen. It was a major chain on Ft. Lauderdale beach.

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback - I love FL and NY and have never been greeted by so many bugs in my room ever. GA has its share of bugs also. I have never had an issue in NY either. I count that as good luck at great hotels.

Not to freak you out but my daughter drug home bed bugs from the JW Marriott in NYC

Bugs are everywhere and since they brought in Ecolab they acknowledged the problem and took corrective measures.