• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Worldmark?

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here,
I'm trying to figure out why Worldmark is popular.
My understanding is that using Worldmark to get a 2bdr during a high season, it takes about 20K points, say in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, or Myrtle Beach.
I've looked around, and it seems that to get about 20k Worldmark points it would take about $1500 in MFs.
Given that there are plenty of 2bdrs during high season with much lower maintenance fees, I just cannot see why would Worldmark would be so popular.
Anyone care to comment?

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 10000 for a two bedroom during high season (except for the newer resorts).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, most of the resorts only require 10K points for 2BR, with MF of around $700. Worldmark also has lots and lots of locations in the middle of cities on the West Coast up to British Columbia. You won't find other resort groups that have locations like Worldmark.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
To get access to the Wyhdam Vacation Ownership Properties, you would need to buy developer points. Since you are on the East Coast I would suggest you look at RESALE WVO not Worldmark which has a west coast bias.

Club Wyndham Access acts like WorldMark but there needs to be CWA inventory available for the week you desire, Worldmark started as points so you are not competeing against other ownership interests, as CWA points do

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here,
My understanding is that using Worldmark to get a 2bdr during a high season, it takes about 20K points, say in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, or Myrtle Beach.
I've looked around, and it seems that to get about 20k Worldmark points it would take about $1500 in MFs.
Given that there are plenty of 2bdrs during high season with much lower maintenance fees, I just cannot see why would Worldmark would be so popular.
Anyone care to comment?

Worldmark is popular for the low mf"s (you are off by a factor of 2) and the locations of their resorts (not Myrtle Beach) and the flexibility of the system. (any day check in, short stays allowed, long stays available, cash options available, owner to owner credit transfers allowed,)

and did I mention the low mf

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Ron and sptung nailed it. There are a couple that they didn't mention, the best reservation and cancellation policy in the industry and wonderful trading power in both II and Rci. we started with worldmark and have since added HGVC, Marriott and Starwood for very specific goals, but if I had to pick only one to keep (which might be the case in retirement) it would be an easy decision, worldmark.

Ian

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here,
Anyone care to comment?

Why WM?
1. Flexibility: Over 80 resorts (and growing); no home resorts so every owner has the same chance. No booking fee, no guest fee, liberal cancellation policy (2 to 30 days before check-in). Free owner-to-owner transfer of points. Points automatically have 2-year life.
For the 10K points, you may book 1 red week one year, 2 shoulder weeks another, or 3 low weeks another, or a combination thereof; a 3BR one year, a studio another.
Check-in on any day of the week. Stay 1 to 2 (from 10 months on) or limitless number of nights, as long as you have the points.
2. Low MF with 5% annual increase cap.
3. Great trade power. Cheap 4,000-credit last minute exchanges for all size units.
4. Has urban resorts: San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver. Has amusement resorts: Orlando, Anaheim, Las Vegas. Has national park resorts: Yellowstone, Banff, Yosemite. Has coastal and mountain resorts. Has drive-to and fly-to resorts.
5. One of the most fully-equipped kitchens in the timeshare world.
6. Ease of booking: Good on-line reservation system. Friendly call-center staff.
7. Like-new 3-star lodging with friendly resort staff, with set-up consistent amongst resorts, so it feels truly like a home away from home anywhere you go in the system.
8. Owner group enthusiastic about the product and friendly to pass on knowledge. Many owner group and Club on-line teaching tools. Those who are willing to spend the hours to learn can become sophisticated owners in a short time.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why WM?
1. Flexibility: Over 80 resorts (and growing); no home resorts so every owner has the same chance. No booking fee, no guest fee, liberal cancellation policy (2 to 30 days before check-in). Free owner-to-owner transfer of points. Points automatically have 2-year life.
For the 10K points, you may book 1 red week one year, 2 shoulder weeks another, or 3 low weeks another, or a combination thereof; a 3BR one year, a studio another.
Check-in on any day of the week. Stay 1 to 2 (from 10 months on) or limitless number of nights, as long as you have the points.
3. Great trade power. Cheap 4,000-credit last minute exchanges for all size units.
4. Has urban resorts: San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver. Has amusement resorts: Orlando, Anaheim, Las Vegas. Has national park resorts: Yellowstone, Banff, Yosemite. Has coastal and mountain resorts. Has drive-to and fly-to resorts.
6. Ease of booking: Good on-line reservation system. Friendly call-center staff.
7. Like-new 3-star lodging with friendly resort staff, with set-up consistent amongst resorts, so it feels truly like a home away from home anywhere you go in the system.
8. Owner group enthusiastic about the product and friendly to pass on knowledge. Many owner group and Club on-line teaching tools. Those who are willing to spend the hours to learn can become sophisticated owners in a short time.

Louise

I took the liberty or reposting your comments on the Worldmark Owners Facebook group That group is loaded with folks that dont know and refuse to learn how Worldmark works. As a result they complain a lot. My hope is that after reading what you said, they will take the time to figure things out.

If you want me to take it down, let me know...I will

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add one more that comes to mind that I don't think I saw in the previous posts (I skimmed it quickly, I might have missed it.)

Not only do WorldMark credits have an automatic two year life, as a WorldMark owner you can borrow your next years credits for making a reservation in the current year. Without paying next years maintenance dues in advance. If you want to plan a big trip and don't want to fuss with transferring credits from another owner, you can save last years credits, borrow next years credits, and have a 3 year supply to use now. For example, a 10,000 credit account could use that to have 30,000 credits to work with.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add one more that comes to mind that I don't think I saw in the previous posts (I skimmed it quickly, I might have missed it.)

Not only do WorldMark credits have an automatic two year life, as a WorldMark owner you can borrow your next years credits for making a reservation in the current year. Without paying next years maintenance dues in advance. If you want to plan a big trip and don't want to fuss with transferring credits from another owner, you can save last years credits, borrow next years credits, and have a 3 year supply to use now. For example, a 10,000 credit account could use that to have 30,000 credits to work with.

Buy a fully loaded contract of for example 10000 credits and you will have 30000 one time use credits that you can sell (rent)in the first year for almost $2000 and 10000 credits to use for your own vacation...Damn near pays for the purchase.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy a fully loaded contract of for example and you will have 30000 one time use credits that you can sell (rent)in the first year for almost $2000 and 10000 credits to use for your own vacation...Damn near pays for the purchase.

20,000 credits (prior year and current year) would rent for around $1,300, and the resale price for an account with 30,000 available would be closer to 4,000.

Since you're in the business of renting units to non owners, you have a mechanism to generate a higher rental rate than the owner to owner credit rate.

I stand by that unless the OP wants a trader, that is not impqcted by TPU's of the reserved week, If they plan on using the system they would be better served looking at Wyndham Vacation Ownershio since they are in Maryland

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
20,000 credits (prior year and current year) would rent for around $1,300, and the resale price for an account with 30,000 available would be closer to 4,000.

Since you're in the business of renting units to non owners, you have a mechanism to generate a higher rental rate than the owner to owner credit rate.

I stand by that unless the OP wants a trader, that is not impqcted by TPU's of the reserved week, If they plan on using the system they would be better served looking at Wyndham Vacation Ownershio since they are in Maryland

I bought Wyndham initially because of the Maryland resort, so I do agree with you about Club Wyndham

but regarding my post on renting credits...Im not talking about renting reservations...My calculation goes like this for a 10000 credit account.

10000 last years credits
10000 current years credits
10000 credits available at your first anniversary
10000 credits to borrow, at your first anniversary

so in the first year 30000 credits to rent at 6.5 cents = $1950 plus a nice vacation

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought Wyndham initially because of the Maryland resort, so I do agree with you about Club Wyndham

but regarding my post on renting credits...Im not talking about renting reservations...My calculation goes like this for a 10000 credit account.

10000 last years credits
10000 current years credits
10000 credits available at your first anniversary
10000 credits to borrow, at your first anniversary

so in the first year 30000 credits to rent at 6.5 cents = $1950 plus a nice vacation

You forgot to deduct the maintenance fees between now and the next anniversary and the $716 to pay for the borrowed credits, so it would be $1950 - $716 = $1234 minus maintenance fees until the next anniversary plus a nice vacation. Still a good deal, if it could be found, but a fully loaded 10,000 credits WorldMark account typically sells for more than $2000.

One could be a perpetual borrower, but WorldMark buyers offer more for fully loaded accounts and less for stripped accounts, so the owner would "pay" for the rented credits when they sell the account for less than they paid for it.

A recent EBay auction for 10,000 WorldMark credits from a reputable seller sold for $2035. It was a fully stripped account with no credits available until July, so add 4 months of dues to that, and the total is about $2250 with no credits to rent. Add in the $475 closing costs plus the $299 transfer fee, and the cost is $3024 or about $0.30/credit all in. This is more typical for the sale price of a 10,000 credit account.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Why WM?

This is a great summary for WM -- I would also echo Ian's comment that it is a very powerful trader in both RCI and II.

Best,

Greg

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You forgot to deduct the maintenance fees between now and the next anniversary and the $716 to pay for the borrowed credits, so it would be $1950 - $716 = $1234 minus maintenance fees until the next anniversary plus a nice vacation. Still a good deal, if it could be found, but a fully loaded 10,000 credits WorldMark account typically sells for more than $2000.

One could be a perpetual borrower, but WorldMark buyers offer more for fully loaded accounts and less for stripped accounts, so the owner would "pay" for the rented credits when they sell the account for less than they paid for it.

A recent EBay auction for 10,000 WorldMark credits from a reputable seller sold for $2035. It was a fully stripped account with no credits available until July, so add 4 months of dues to that, and the total is about $2250 with no credits to rent. Add in the $475 closing costs plus the $299 transfer fee, and the cost is $3024 or about $0.30/credit all in. This is more typical for the sale price of a 10,000 credit account.

one is a perpetual borrower

There are two sets of costs when talking about any second home purchase, ( timeshare or otherwise) . The cost to purchase and the cost of maintaining the thing

Im only talking about the cost to purchase... of course there is maintenance
I assume anyone with any sense budgets for both before buying

Im suggesting that you could recover your purchase price by selling one time use credits in your first year, and by then by considering the value of that first vacation

and yes selling a stripped contract will net you less than one fully loaded, but Im not thinking that far ahead. All Im saying is that your out of pocket over the first year of ownership can be pretty small if you take advantage of what you have already said are great features of the program ie 2 year life of credits and the ability to borrow a year

As David has already said, I do it differently. I make as many high value reservations in the first year of ownership as I can, a 10000 credit contract would yield 4 10000 credit reservations that I would expect to rent for $6000, lay that against about $4000 to purchase and about $700 mf and I pay for the purchase and the maintenance this year and I can bank the maintenance for next year...I dont recommend that approach for anybody, but it works for me.

Last edited: