• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui OC Lahaina Villas MF / AOAO Fee Discussion

taffy19

Reaction score
... Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas 2BR

2013 AOAO Operating Assessment 2013-01-11......... 739.99
2013 Property Tax Fee 2013-01-11......................... 280.81
2013 Operating Fee 2013-01-11............................. 826.53
2013 AOAO Reserve Assessment 2013-01-11............ 88.98
2013 Reserve Fee 2013-01-11................................ 228.26
Total Charges ................................................. $2,164.57

ETA: I added the 2012 and 2011 for the 3BR, but don't have it for the 2BR as it was a recent purchase. Thx

Greg, I haven't received a maintenance bill yet but looked in my account last week. The fees are as you quoted. I was also able to look at the fees for last year and they were as follows:

2012 Property Tax Fee 288.93
2012 AOAO Replacement Reserve .. 83.31
2012 AOAO Operating Fee ........... 727.78
2012 Replacement Reserve .......... 213.32
2012 Operating Fee ...................... 811.45
Total Charges .......................... $2,124.79

The total maintenance fee for the first year of the new tower was $1,647.50 and that was for our first stay on March 24, 2008. I don't have the breakdown handy but it is in a folder somewhere.

The breakdown of 2008 was as follows:

2008 Property Tax Fee ................. 99.06
2008 Operating Fee .................1,469.41
2008 Replacement Reserve ........ 147.07
Total Charges ........................ $1,715.54

Why are there two sets of Replacement and Operating fees but only one set in the past? Is that because of the DC Club?

Last edited by a moderator:

taffy19

Reaction score
Please, merge to maintenance thread, OP

Susan. Please move this to the right thread. :eek:

I don't know how it ended up here? Sorry. I thought that I was replying to GregT.

PS. If possible, please delete this completely. Thank you.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Sue broke it out of the MF sticky thread since it is discussion related to the MFs and not a basic reporting of MFs.

taffy19

Reaction score
Even worse. Maybe I should delete it? :eek: :eek:

I was replying to Greg's question but now I understand why it ended up there.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Emmy, I moved it from the MF thread because that thread is supposed to be a bare bones accounting of the MFs and nothing more. I made that decision after reviewing the last few years' MF threads and realizing that it's difficult to find the basic info in those threads without wading through a whole lot of discussion. Since I don't know how to do what Dave did up until 2008 with the chart thing, the next-best-thing I could think of is a bare-bones thread with a first-post compilation.

My intent isn't to discourage chatter about the individual resorts MF's, not at all. But yours isn't the first post that I've moved from the MF thread to the discussion board and I hope that Greg and others join you here in the conversation. Your questions are good ones - they just opened up a discussion that needed to be moved. :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think Sue broke it out of the MF sticky thread since it is discussion related to the MFs and not a basic reporting of MFs.

Yes, what he said. :D

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you for correcting it. I just saw it now.

PS. The figure was wrong in Dave's sticky thread. He wrote that the lesser amount was for a 3 BR villa but it was for a 2 BR villa but the list is no longer kept up, I noticed or it is somewhere else.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I noticed the double operating fee lines in the SC fees as well, and was wondering about that. Dealing with the after-effects of the wrath of Sandy I've been too preoccupied to post the question, but glad you did.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There was some discussion of the AOAO Fees in this thread.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have the same terminology at Maui Hill in our newsletters (but not our budget) and the AOAO items refer to common area items (i.e. landscaping) and the other items are unit related (i.e. carpet).

I remember seeing a more detailed explanation at one point but I can't find it now. I recall thinking this was a quirky Hawaii thing.

Added: ok, now I remember the explanation. Maui Hill has both timeshare units and wholly owned units. The common area expenses have to be accounted for separately from the unit expenses in order to properly bill the two ownership interests correctly.

That wouldn't seem to make sense for the Marriott owners.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We have the same terminology at Maui Hill in our newsletters (but not our budget) and the AOAO items refer to common area items (i.e. landscaping) and the other items are unit related (i.e. carpet).

This is the same distinction as at the Maui Ocean Club. Until about three or so years ago both were billed together and then one association paid the other its share. My recollection (I think it is reasonably accurate) is that the change was made because Hawaii tried to classify the payment from one entity to the other as taxable income and billing them separately made such tax treatment impossible.