• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott BUYBACKS AND TAKEBACKS [2012 / Ongoing]

mcow2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are selling Marriott is buying back timeshares. They have allocated a certain amount of money and will be implementing their first right of refusal for certain locations.

They just bought one of my weeks for double what I paid for it just a few years ago.

Before you list it with anyone call Marriott's resell department for details. You might get more money from them than in the open market.

*** Click on the "Sell Weeks" link on this page to begin the process with specific owned Weeks: Welcome to the Official Website for Marriott Vacation Club® Timeshare Resales ***

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Recently we've noticed an uptick in Marriott both offering buybacks and exercising ROFR for certain Weeks.

[Link disabled.] is Marriott's Resale Operations link. Owners, click on the "Have A Question" button at the top of the page for contact information to find out if Marriott is interested in your Week(s.)

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I'm sure they are very selective as to what they are buying.
Could you pleases share with us what they bought back from you?

mcow2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they are very selective as to what they are buying.
Could you pleases share with us what they bought back from you?

Sure they bought back a Park City Marriott Mountainside Annual Summer week.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

Thanks for sharing. I'm not familiar with this resort but I would assume it's a gold week worth about 2500 points for a week. In addition to platinum weeks, perhaps Marriott is looking to acquire gold weeks at select resorts to add to the trust? :ponder:

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They apparently have also purchased some spring and fall weeks at Harbor Point. I would assume these would be used to show that there are weeks available in the point system for very low point amounts.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those weeks are so abundent in II. Maybe the DC needs them becuase owners are given so few points for converting those weeks that owners are not depositing those weeks in the DC. Those weeks are more valuable in II than they are in the DC.

Interesting.

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless things have changed from the spring, the best offers relative to Ebay are for the non platinum weeks of the older properties. Some of those are virtually unsellable any where but Marriott.

Marriott gets low point value properties to use as a sales tool as was suggested.

mcow2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless things have changed from the spring, the best offers relative to Ebay are for the non platinum weeks of the older properties. Some of those are virtually unsellable any where but Marriott.

Marriott gets low point value properties to use as a sales tool as was suggested.

Marriott NEEDS the inventory for their point system so they can sell more points.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott NEEDS the inventory for their point system so they can sell more points.

Do you mean they're buying back to convey Weeks to the Trust? Could be. Or do you mean that Marriott is acting as the broker through that Resale Operations office for Weeks sold by owners, when they have a ready and willing buyer? Because that's happening more often now and might have something to do with the fact that Marriott internal resales are the only resales which can be enrolled in the DC (if the buyer also purchases an equivalent amount of DC Points.) Either way, nice to see some Marriott resales activity after the quietness of the last few years, even if it is only certain select weeks that we have no way of predicting.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are selling Marriott is buying back timeshares. They have allocated a certain amount of money and will be implementing their first right of refusal for certain locations.

They just bought one of my weeks for double what I paid for it just a few years ago.

Before you list it with anyone call Marriott's resell department for details. You might get more money from them than in the open market.

What did you pay for it? $1.00? ;)

ldodd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I submitted my Maui 2bdr/3 bath unit for a possible buy back online last night. I got an offer today that was insultingly low - about 1/8th of what I paid for it 10 years ago.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Do you mean they're buying back to convey Weeks to the Trust? Could be. Or do you mean that Marriott is acting as the broker through that Resale Operations office for Weeks sold by owners, when they have a ready and willing buyer?

They are doing both. It is easy for a seller to tell which. With a Marriott buy-back, they offer a price with a $500 administrative fee in lieu of a commission and the price is lower than when they act as a broker. The seller may come out about the same in terms of net proceeds. In a buy-back, the deal closes very quickly. With a brokered sale, you have the more typical closing process, although it is very easy with Marriott in the picture. We sold an EOY Waiohai week which Marriott brokered in 2010, and Marriott bought back a Sabal Palms week from us in 2011.

mcow2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
What did you pay for it? $1.00? ;)

You got me $1.00 to $2.00 yippee

I paid $1,100 for the timeshare and sold it back for $2,700 after closing and transfer fees of $500 it will net me $2,200, double on my money. I own a few weeks and selling one for a quick double just made sense.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
so whats this one on ebay worth

Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, Orlando Fl. 2 bed 2 bath, Platinum Season, Lockoff
how high can the buyer go and still get a double?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You don't know until you contact the Resale Operations office and ask. But they might not be willing to tell you unless you already own one, and if you do own one there's no guarantee that what other owners may have been offered in the past will be offered to you. What they buy back is very specific and appears to be situational depending on whether they have a buyer waiting in the wings.

:shrug: Doesn't appear to be a sure-fire way to make any money flipping Marriott resales.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't Marriott exercise ROFR?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

Ron
are you the seller? or is it just a coincidence?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got me $1.00 to $2.00 yippee

I paid $1,100 for the timeshare and sold it back for $2,700 after closing and transfer fees of $500 it will net me $2,200, double on my money. I own a few weeks and selling one for a quick double just made sense.
Very nice!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
no coincidence, but I didnt want to make my post look like an ad.

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking from a buyer's vantage point and not a seller's. Now I'm guessing that you'll be contacting the Resales office to see if you can do better through them than through eBay?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
What they buy back is very specific and appears to be situational depending on whether they have a buyer waiting in the wings.
I don't think they very often, if ever, buy a week themselves in order to sell it. I think the ones they buy themselves are almost always for the Trust.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think they very often, if ever, buy a week themselves in order to sell it. I think the ones they buy themselves are almost always for the Trust.

Poor choice of words, I should have said, "what they'll take back ..." or whatever words would mean that they'll be acting as a broker rather than buying inventory for themselves. Does that make more sense?