• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cool YouTube video on Delta Award Calendar

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
A guy, frustrated by the total ineptitude of Delta's Award Calendar, made this video. Love the music.

This "system" has been FUBAR for years now and Delta has been promising to fix for just as long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyr1XvMNtr0

I have MANY similar experiences but still manage to get low miles awards to visit Europe in Oct. each year. Maybe I should hope it stays broken so I can get the Tix I need.;)

Cheers

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nice. I only use Delta miles on partner airlines, as those low awards seem to be more readily available there. Whenever I look to use Delta I get the same results as this video shows...really sad to think most hate the Delta program when it could be much better. I stopped acquiring Delta miles years ago, and still have lots to use up.

Last edited:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to get 4 25k tickets DTW-LAX, about fell off the sofa and booked the seats, then patiently waited for the DVC 7 month window and was able to book the Villas at the Grand Californian.

As a former NWA Worldperks flyer, I miss being able to book upgrades with miles online, Delta has promised to have that but I'm still waiting.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Happily, I was able to redeem 100,000 Delta miles this morning for a business seat to Europe later this year, on Delta equipment (I thought for certain I'd only be able to get the low mileage award on Air France or KLM).

However, I was unable to find these low mileage award flights online. I had to call to get them = $25 for Delta for calling.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Happily, I was able to redeem 100,000 Delta miles this morning for a business seat to Europe later this year, on Delta equipment (I thought for certain I'd only be able to get the low mileage award on Air France or KLM).

However, I was unable to find these low mileage award flights online. I had to call to get them = $25 for Delta for calling.

If you are Gold Medallion or higher on Delta, there is no fee for booking on the phone. I did not know that when I tried unsuccessfully to book on the Delta.Dumb site and had to go to the phone. I still earn about 50K miles / year but have a gazillion in the bank. Glad they do not expire even if I did not fly Delta anymore which is one of the few things I really like about them.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you are Gold Medallion or higher on Delta, there is no fee for booking on the phone. I did not know that when I tried unsuccessfully to book on the Delta.Dumb site and had to go to the phone. I still earn about 50K miles / year but have a gazillion in the bank. Glad they do not expire even if I did not fly Delta anymore which is one of the few things I really like about them.

Cheers

The rep actually said that seats are hard to find because now miles don't expire. We just can't win. ;)

I'm not gold or higher at Delta. I haven't flown Delta in years and really have little desire to do so. In fact, I haven't collected more than a few miles each year (I still have one of their AMEX cards tho hardly use it) in many years. After today's reservation I'm down to only about 71,000 miles so expect I'll look for a flight to Hawaii to use them up, though I suppose I could get another 29,000 for one more Europe business seat. After that, I intend to be done with Delta.

Of course, I'm flying on their new business lie-flat seats, so I may be impressed enough to want to fly them again. I've flown business to Europe a number of times and remarkably the Delta flight years ago is still one of the better experiences. Much better than Air France.

As a final note, the same itinerary for my upcoming trip cost ~$155 in taxes and fees at Delta. The same itinerary, which includes London, using AA on AA/BA would have been over $650 in taxes. We can't just ignore this distinction when considering where to acquire miles - of course, this is highly dependent on where you travel.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a final note, the same itinerary for my upcoming trip cost ~$155 in taxes and fees at Delta. The same itinerary, which includes London, using AA on AA/BA would have been over $650 in taxes. We can't just ignore this distinction when considering where to acquire miles - of course, this is highly dependent on where you travel.

Not only where but when. First time I looked @ DL CVG-BOS-LHR it was 325K and $778 in fees etc. Final was 150K and $178. No clue why the fees changed.

Never use BA Avios or AA Miles to Europe on BA. They have unbelievable fees.

BTW, if you believe what the rep said about the reason for hard to get awards, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you for cash or miles. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, maybe I'm giving away some big secret, but did you know it is easier to find the low point business travel awards when you start with the coach calendar? The business awards come up as a choice, often near the bottom of the list. They are less than when you click on the business/first tab. My DH travels primarily Delta, because they are the main carrier out of our regional airport. We use points for a family trip every couple years.

I can't complain too much. I got 5 open jaw tickets (Gainesville, FL to Las Vegas, return Rapid City to Gainesville, FL) last summer for 32K each in coach. I thought that was a great "price" considering we needed 5 tix and GNV and RAP are both small regional airports. We'll see how it goes when I try to book tickets to Europe this summer for 2013. I want to get one business class for my mother, but the rest of us can go coach. (Although I probably will spring for the comfort class surcharge on the transatlantic flights.)

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem on connecting on BA is the YQ, and if London is your destination it is the APD, but the latter applies to all airlines.

The way to avoid the YQ on AA is to use a different OW partner like Finnair or Air Berlin instead of BA.

Delta has been charging YQ on its own as well as partner award flights for several years but only if you originate outside the US. I suspect they will eventually pop US-originating flyers for that as well, but they haven't yet.

The rep actually said that seats are hard to find because now miles don't expire. We just can't win. ;)

I'm not gold or higher at Delta. I haven't flown Delta in years and really have little desire to do so. In fact, I haven't collected more than a few miles each year (I still have one of their AMEX cards tho hardly use it) in many years. After today's reservation I'm down to only about 71,000 miles so expect I'll look for a flight to Hawaii to use them up, though I suppose I could get another 29,000 for one more Europe business seat. After that, I intend to be done with Delta.

Of course, I'm flying on their new business lie-flat seats, so I may be impressed enough to want to fly them again. I've flown business to Europe a number of times and remarkably the Delta flight years ago is still one of the better experiences. Much better than Air France.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
25K is what you should pay for a domestic award ticket, and I would not consider 32K a good deal.

I am just sick that BA is taking over BD (British Midland), and all the great BD Diamond Club ff rates will go up in smoke. BD does not have a high or mid tier for award tickets, only a low tier, and intra-Europe direct flights on any *A partner are 6K miles each way or 4500 each way. TATL flights are 45K RT any times of year. Every time I have called BD for award seats, I have gotten exactly the flights I wanted. They have been great.

DL and BD are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as value and being customer friendly are concerned.

OK, maybe I'm giving away some big secret, but did you know it is easier to find the low point business travel awards when you start with the coach calendar? The business awards come up as a choice, often near the bottom of the list. They are less than when you click on the business/first tab. My DH travels primarily Delta, because they are the main carrier out of our regional airport. We use points for a family trip every couple years.

I can't complain too much. I got 5 open jaw tickets (Gainesville, FL to Las Vegas, return Rapid City to Gainesville, FL) last summer for 32K each in coach. I thought that was a great "price" considering we needed 5 tix and GNV and RAP are both small regional airports. We'll see how it goes when I try to book tickets to Europe this summer for 2013. I want to get one business class for my mother, but the rest of us can go coach. (Although I probably will spring for the comfort class surcharge on the transatlantic flights.)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
25K is what you should pay for a domestic award ticket, and I would not consider 32K a good deal.

Oh my! Carolinian and I finally agree on something.

To be honest this is the first time I have used miles to get a domestic ticket, I've always used my miles to upgrade on long haul flights.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Delta has been charging YQ on its own as well as partner award flights for several years but only if you originate outside the US. I suspect they will eventually pop US-originating flyers for that as well, but they haven't yet.

Delta just bought an oil refinery. With their IT Department's ability to totally foul up any software like Delta.Dumb, they will have to start charging YQ to make up for the inevitable screw-up in the refinery software.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio.../30/gIQAmPBksT_story.html?tid=pm_national_pop

Cheers