• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GPS unit safety tip

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our car was broken into a couple of weeks ago. All they got away with (besides my sense of security) was my car wash quarters and my GPS. And the idiots took my PHONE charger, and left the GPS charger. :hysterical:

All the way home I was thinking "OMG, they fired up the GPS, hit the "GO HOME" button because they know we're at a basketball game, and are at our house murdering the dogs and taking everything". Obviously kids stole it to resell for something nefarious, so luckily I overreacted, but I had this thought:

When I replace my GPS, my new "GO HOME" will take me to the church up the street. That way, if anyone with any brains should happen to steal the next GPS, they'll be taken to the nearest house of worship.

I highly suggest changing your GO HOME to a public spot close to your house, like a grocery store, church, gas station, etc.. If you can't get to your house from one of those neighborhood joints, then you need more help than a GPS can provide. :D

And that's my little tip of the day.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
... That way, if anyone with any brains should happen to steal the next GPS, they'll be taken to the nearest house of worship....

And one I've used for some time, recognizing that if they REALLY had any brains they'd have already gotten my address from the auto registration in my glove box..

mrrick

Reaction score
And one I've used for some time, recognizing that if they REALLY had any brains they'd have already gotten my address from the auto registration in my glove box..

Or else got to where your GPS took them, then drove around operating the garage door opener until they hit the jackpot.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same would apply to a smart phone with navigation. If you are fortunate enough to have a neighborhood police station, that would be a good place to designate as 'Home'.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Our Garmin GPS unit has a lock feature. Unless you are "at home" it requires the use of a PIN code to use the GPS unit and get to the Go Home option. I suggest turning that feature on. When you are at home the GPS recognizes the coordinates and the PIN is not needed, but if it is away from home it requires the PIN.

Last edited:

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dioxide, I'll look for that when I buy my next one.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
We use a major intersection as "Home"...though I like the Police idea.

More often than not, I know the way out of my neighborhood so why did I ever even designate a "Home".

Most time we use it we just input where we want to go then the silly computer figures it out...then we make random turns to frustrate it!:hysterical:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Before our cellphone replaced our GPS unit, I had inadvertently entered my sis-in-law's address as the HOME entry & recall several times fighting the unit as it kept trying to steer me 25 miles to the north of my home. :ignore:

Agreed though, the old fashion paper registration would get them to your home.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Hmmmm...

We use a major intersection as "Home"...though I like the Police idea.

I think I'll just program my "Home" to the police officer's house a couple doors down. I know he keeps his service side arm handy ;)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
what gets worse is if they steal your car, use your GPS and then your garage door opener and actually get into the house.

Now that is scary.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another change is on luggage

Our car was broken into a couple of weeks ago. All they got away with (besides my sense of security) was my car wash quarters and my GPS. And the idiots took my PHONE charger, and left the GPS charger. :hysterical:

All the way home I was thinking "OMG, they fired up the GPS, hit the "GO HOME" button because they know we're at a basketball game, and are at our house murdering the dogs and taking everything". Obviously kids stole it to resell for something nefarious, so luckily I overreacted, but I had this thought:

When I replace my GPS, my new "GO HOME" will take me to the church up the street. That way, if anyone with any brains should happen to steal the next GPS, they'll be taken to the nearest house of worship.

I highly suggest changing your GO HOME to a public spot close to your house, like a grocery store, church, gas station, etc.. If you can't get to your house from one of those neighborhood joints, then you need more help than a GPS can provide. :D

On luggage we either put our work address or a relatives address so someone loading the luggage doesn't get any dumb ideas.
Bart

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
On luggage we either put our work address or a relatives address so someone loading the luggage doesn't get any dumb ideas.
Bart
I don't even put an address, just a last name and a phone number. After all, if my luggage gets lost, are they going to write me a letter? No, a phone call is would be much more useful.

Kurt