• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1st Starwood Exchange

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks to Denise for the killer FAQ's in this section.

Getting mystarcentral, II, etc and my deposit designated for exchange all went super easy/clean thanks to the info.

I think for my current deposit, I'm considering trying to surprise my gf and take her to Maui.

I know after reading numerous threads on here that there are no guarantees/picking your view and I'll be happy with whatever I end up with since it'll be my first Maui trip.

That said, what are my best chances for pulling an OV or OF unit?
  • Flexible on when we can go (shoulder season)
  • Can check in any day the week
  • 2bd (non-lockoff) deposited currently
  • Don't care if we have a 1bd or 2bd

Like I said, I realize we probably won't but just seeing if there is anything that can improve odds. :D

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do an instant exchange thru Interval.
Right now there is availability for May - June and Aug thru Dec of this year, and Jan and April and May of next year. Many 1 and 2 bedroom units.
Your odds of getting ocean-front are basically zero, but you may get an ocean-view.
Exchangers are bottom of the pile when it comes to view.
We were there for our 1st time in February and had a ground floor, island view unit in Building 5. We actually liked it quite a bit because we could walk straight out to the pools and hot tubs.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im waiting for II/Starwood to do their sync up and then I can look at the instant exchanges.

I was hoping to find something for Sept this year, so we'll see what's avail in a couple days when everything is sync'd up between the two. :)

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Please don't post sightings in the discussion forums. Per TUG policy, sightings are a perk of TUG membership and should be posted on the Sightings Forum, or sent privately. - Thanks, DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although the OV and OF views are better at WKORV, there are no parking lot views at WKORVN .... Just something to think about ... Take a chance on a better view ... Or eliminate your chance of the dreaded parking lot view.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
+1

You can't guarantee a prime view, but you can avoid the parking lot/highway view by requesting KAN only. Sept. is good, because it's off-season. The fewer people at the resort, the more likely you are to get a good view.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what is out there today.

Good luck..

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North
KAN
Lahaina, HI, USAResort Details & Photos | Map It!

Sep 07 2012 - Sep 14 2012
2 6 8 268

Ohhh. Those were the exact dates I was hoping to squeeze in too. We're going to VGC 9/15-9/17, so I thought maybe we could do a week in HI before going to DL.

Hopefully it'll still be around in a couple days. :D

Although the OV and OF views are better at WKORV, there are no parking lot views at WKORVN .... Just something to think about ... Take a chance on a better view ... Or eliminate your chance of the dreaded parking lot view.

+1
You can't guarantee a prime view, but you can avoid the parking lot/highway view by requesting KAN only. Sept. is good, because it's off-season. The fewer people at the resort, the more likely you are to get a good view.

Yeah, based on the threads I had read, I was definitely leaning towards requesting KAN for the exact reason of, even if I get the worst view, its not the parking lot. :D

Thanks for all your guys' help!

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woah! That was quick. They already have my exchange listed in II.

However, it looks like the Sept 7 got snatched up. Only results for Sept are KAA now.

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open. :)

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't see any KAN at all?

I can see them with a 1 bdr SDO. and you should have Starwood preference.

Call Interval and talk to the Starwood desk and see if they can help you....

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive been disconnected 3 times now when they transfer me to the Starwood desk. Is there a direct # for the Starwood desk?

On call #4. I asked if there was a direct # before transfer and they said there wasn't. :(

Here's hoping I dont get disconnected, AGAIN

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just talked to Jim and he said that he isn't showing anything at KAN, just KAA (like me).

He's not sure why you're seeing avail. @ KAN.

Oh well.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a direct number for starwood desk, its in my wallet in the car and im stuck in my office, in one hour if noone supllied it I will be sure to.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
2 posts deleted: Folks - Please don't post II Sightings on the Starwood Forum. Per TUG policy, sightings are a perk of TUG membership and should be posted on the Sightings Forum - then you can send the reader there to view them.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bad Denise. I didnt even think about that when I posted the screenshot. :ignore:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else encountered where results are showing for others but not you?

Im calling II again after hearing from another TUG member that they are seeing the same thing kenie reported.

-Nico

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know after reading numerous threads on here that there are no guarantees/picking your view and I'll be happy with whatever I end up with since it'll be my first Maui trip.

That said, what are my best chances for pulling an OV or OF?

Like I said, I realize we probably won't but just seeing if there is anything that can improve odds. :D

It sounds like you have the exact right attitude when it comes to getting an OF or OV room. Dont expect it and just be happy with being in Hawaii.

I look at it this way (first, i am not an owner but a renter with the possible trader).

If i were an owner i would want first priority at the best rooms. After the owners, it should go to the renters (owners profit from renting better views). Lastly, us traders have to suffer by having an island view...lol. Still hawaii though. ;)

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton II desk

Direct line - 877 STAR 088

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I figure getting all worked up over what view Im gonna have is kind of pointless. I just want to play with the turtles while Im diving. :)

Circling back, according to the II Starwood, the reason Im not seeing the KAN units others are seeing is because they are Gold+ or Platinum and my SBP is only Gold.

I put in an ongoing request for one of the units that someone saw, so I'll see if maybe I get lucky and it picks it up that way. :shrug:

Thanks Siesta for the direct line! :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - Not all Starwood timeshares have the same trading value.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
So Im able to see 2bd KAN in another month (leaving it out to not violate sighting rules). A month that I would think is more popular than Sept (which is offseason).

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Hi Hypnotiq.

I'm the one who gave you the SBP week. I've still got several that I'm keeping, so I'm very interested in their trading power.

Until today, these gold weeks have been able to see all of the weeks which are part of the bulk bank. I already did trades for January and May 2013 which should be harder to get than the week you're looking for.

Something changed in the last 24 hours, however so that I don't see much even though Interval still has availability. II is very glitchy and I've seen strange results like this before that eventually fix themselves.

You should put in a request online for the week you want. The friday is available at KAN and the sunday is available at KAA. You'll probably get an electronic confirmation at 6am tomorrow.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
No worries Bob.

I have an ongoing request in and Ill keep checking. :)

-Nico

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that your ongoing request will come through very quickly.