• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

which point system has generally lower mf's?

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham or Bluegreen? (Keeping program/membership fees in mind, too.). Thanks!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful you are comparing apples to apples

Heres how I would look at your question

Using Daytona Beach as an example. BlueGreens Daytona resort takes 18000 points for a 2 bedroom week in the Summer. With BlueGreen there is a 18000 point auction on ebay where the mf is quoted at $523.. so 18000 points would be about $1050

Wyndhams Daytona Resort takes 203000 points for a 2 bedroom week in the Summer. With Wyndham using points that cost you $5.50 per 1000 points your cost for a week would be about $1100

I see it as pretty much dead even....$1100 a year mf will buy pretty much the same vacation

Understand that's one resort and assumptions re Blue Green mf based on one
auction. I know you can get Wyndham points cheaper, and probably can get Blue Green points cheaper, and there will be different resorts with different points requirements..

Rather than looking at the mf cost first, I would look at the resorts in the Blue green portfolio and those in the Wyndham portfolio and decide which has the best choices for you

For example Wyndham has the only timeshares in the Washington DC area..If thats important to you the decision is easy... buy Wyndham...damn the cost

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been doing some of that - looking at the resorts for both in the portfolios in Myrtle Beach, and still thinking about those shorter off season getaways. I guess I will need to think about reservation charges, too, and any housekeeping costs for dealing with non-full-week trips. Thanks Ron - I appreciate your analysis and input!

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
If you are interested in one particular BG resort you'll want to buy there resale so that you can get access to cash bonus time at that one resort. With Wyndham there is no cash bonus time option but they sometimes discount the points within 30 days.

If you are thinking you'll want bonus time at all the BG resorts then you'll want to buy qualified points from someone like Boca who understands all the trust funds and can set you up correctly. Bonus time may be easy to get if you're not following the school calendar.

bmwegemer

Reaction score
Be careful you are comparing apples to apples

Heres how I would look at your question

Using Daytona Beach as an example. BlueGreens Daytona resort takes 18000 points for a 2 bedroom week in the Summer. With BlueGreen there is a 18000 point auction on ebay where the mf is quoted at $523.. so 18000 points would be about $1050

Wyndhams Daytona Resort takes 203000 points for a 2 bedroom week in the Summer. With Wyndham using points that cost you $5.50 per 1000 points your cost for a week would be about $1100

I see it as pretty much dead even....$1100 a year mf will buy pretty much the same vacation

Understand that's one resort and assumptions re Blue Green mf based on one
auction. I know you can get Wyndham points cheaper, and probably can get Blue Green points cheaper, and there will be different resorts with different points requirements..

Rather than looking at the mf cost first, I would look at the resorts in the Blue green portfolio and those in the Wyndham portfolio and decide which has the best choices for you

For example Wyndham has the only timeshares in the Washington DC area..If thats important to you the decision is easy... buy Wyndham...damn the cost

I agree with a lot of what Ron is saying. I work for Wyndham and am not too familiar with BlueGreen's program. I would also keep in mind things "included" in these maintenance fees. (for example) Wyndham includes the costs of an RCI exchange membership. This is a membership other companies do not include. This RCI exchange gives you an even more extended portfolio of resorts if Wyndham specific resorts were not enough to possibly match all your future needs. I would research other fees/memberships/perks you COULD get from buying from an auction/resale compared to buying from a developer. Cheaper is NOT always better when it comes to extra perks and other fees.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy my Wyndham points, but they tend to nickel and dime you to death unless your VIP (and they are starting to do that to those owners also).

I am in the process of purchasing some BG points right now. I like the system and as far as I can see so far there are not as many nickel and dime charges and they ALSO include RCI membership as part of their annual fees.

You just need to do your research and decide which system works best for you and your family.

TootToot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nickel and dime?

I enjoy my Wyndham points, but they tend to nickel and dime you to death unless your VIP (and they are starting to do that to those owners also).

I am in the process of purchasing some BG points right now. I like the system and as far as I can see so far there are not as many nickel and dime charges and they ALSO include RCI membership as part of their annual fees.

You just need to do your research and decide which system works best for you and your family.

What do you mean by nickel and dime at Wyndham? I'm Bluegreen and you get one annual bill for maintenance fees, etc. and that's it. We looked at an exhange to Wyndham but pulled back because what they told us didn't jibe with the materials they gave us.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I agree with a lot of what Ron is saying. I work for Wyndham and am not too familiar with BlueGreen's program. I would also keep in mind things "included" in these maintenance fees. (for example) Wyndham includes the costs of an RCI exchange membership. This is a membership other companies do not include. This RCI exchange gives you an even more extended portfolio of resorts if Wyndham specific resorts were not enough to possibly match all your future needs. I would research other fees/memberships/perks you COULD get from buying from an auction/resale compared to buying from a developer. Cheaper is NOT always better when it comes to extra perks and other fees.
I own Bluegreen and Wyndham.

Bluegreen also includes RCI membership as part of the cost that gives you access to RCI weeks and RCI Points if so desired.

Bluegreen does not charge a fee for a guest certificate and does not make you get a guest certificate if you have more then one room at a resort.

I had 3 units booked a La Cabana this New Years and I was able to check into all three and add my daughter and fathers name at no cost.
Wyndham would have made me buy 2 guest certificates at $99($129) each

Bluegreen allows you to make unlimited reservations any time during the year using your points with no fee.

Wyndham allows you to make unlimited reservations but charges a fee based on the number of points you own - I believe that for every 77K points you get one reservation??? So unless you can plan your full years use at once, it can be tricky to avoid paying a reservation fee.

Wyndham has more resorts then Bluegreen but Bluegreen has them where I want to travel. I also have access to the Shell Vacation Club Resorts thru the "Select Connection" program.

When I go to any Bluegreen resort, I am treated as an owner.
When I go to Wyndham resorts using points, I have to pay additional fees unless my points are deeded at that particular resort, treated like an exchanger not a owner.

You decide......

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you mean by nickel and dime at Wyndham? I'm Bluegreen and you get one annual bill for maintenance fees, etc. and that's it. We looked at an exhange to Wyndham but pulled back because what they told us didn't jibe with the materials they gave us.

See my post above, there are additional fees for almost everything...can you believe you have to pay to make a reservation??? Bring a family member with you in a second unit?

Also, your Wyndham MFs are based on what resort your deed is from - with BG, you pay a base fee of $320 plus $0.045 per point owned, the more points you own, the lower your per point cost is.
10,000 points = 320+450=770 $7.70 per 1K
20,000 points = 320+900=1220 $6.10 per 1K
30,000 points = 320+1350=1670 $5.50 per 1K
40,000 points = 320+1800=2120 $5.30 per 1K

That is nickel & dime-ing!

Last edited:

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I own Bluegreen and Wyndham.

Bluegreen also includes RCI membership as part of the cost that gives you access to RCI weeks and Points if so desired.

Bluegreen does not charge a fee for a guest certificate and does not make you get a guest certificate if you have more then one room at a resort.

I had 3 units booked a La Cabana this New Years and I was able to check into all three and add my daughter and fathers name at no cost.
Wyndham would have made me buy 2 guest certificates at $99($129) each

Bluegreen allows you to make unlimited reservations any time during the year using your points with no fee.

Wyndham allows you to make unlimited reservations but charges a fee based on the number of points you own - I believe that for every 77K points you get one reservation??? So unless you can plan your full years use at once, it can be tricky to avoid paying a reservation fee.

Wyndham has more resorts then Bluegreen but Bluegreen has them where I want to travel. I also have access to the Shell Vacation Club Resorts thru the "Select Connection" program.

When I go to any Bluegreen resort, I am treated as an owner.
When I go to Wyndham resorts using points, I have to pay additional fees unless my points are deeded at that particular resort, treated like an exchanger not a owner.

You decide......

I am curious about how you are treated differently. I own Bonnet Creek and feel I am treated and "pay" the same when I stay at Skyline Towers. I have never had to pay anything additional. :confused:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am curious about how you are treated differently. I own Bonnet Creek and feel I am treated and "pay" the same when I stay at Skyline Towers. I have never had to pay anything additional. :confused:
I use Wyndham Points deeded in Williamsburg to stay at Bluebeards Beach Club in STT where I also own 2 fixed weeks.
For my points reservation stay, I have to pay the energy surcharge that is not charged to owners.

TootToot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow

Wow, thanks for the explanations, everyone. I had no idea there could be so many charges, coming from a straightforward experience at Bluegreen. Makes me grateful we didn't exchange our Bluegreen for Wyndham!

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
MY ATTEMPT AT A FAIR AND BALANCED VIEW OF WYNDHAM BASED ON 4 YEARS OF (RESALE) OWNERSHIP:

I think it boils down to deciding which mini-system has the resorts that you want to frequent. For me, Wyndham was really the only choice - as they has a lot of resorts within driving distance. No other mini-system is as well represented in the North East and DC area. And, they just added Smuggs in VT, which is great.

The Wyndham fees that may affect you are Houskeeping, Reservation Fees, and guest Fees. I have owned for 4 years and have managed to avoid paying Housekeeping and Guest Fees (you get one free guest certificate per year). But, I have had to pay reservation fees (@ $30 a pop). This is a little annoying, but I do make a lot of reservations and I end up canceling some (and rebooking) due to scheduling conflicts. through good management, I think you can avoid or keep fees to a minimum. You do get one free reservation transaction per 77k points owned, and you can make multiple reservations during the same day and it only costs one transaction. So, you can avoid paying for reservation transactions, if you do a better job planning than I do :)

Anyway, the Wyndham system is good, if it includes resorts that you are going to visit frequently. Very flexible and good availability of units (if you make a reasonable effort to plan).

I bought resale, so my costs are just the maintenance fees and occasional reservation fee. i'm happy with it!

If you travel in shoulder seasons, or to resorts with great availabilty, you may be able to save $ by finding a Wyndham VIP Owner, who can get discounts and pass those on to you. In this situation, one could make a case that you might forgo owning and rent instead.

If you travel during highly sought-after weeks, you may be better-off owning, because the reservations will all be taken before the discount period - and you may want to have control to get your reservation when they are available.

I have always been treated well at all of the Wyndham Resorts that I have visited - and they try to give me room locations that I request, etc. I feel the folks that work on the Hospitality side and resort management side of Wyndham are great. I think they view all Wyndham points owners as "owners" and don't reallly differentiate as to where your points are deeded or whether you are a retail or resale buyer.

The resort staff are great - but the sales folks can be less pleasant. Avoid the sales folks, or at least be prepared for what you might hear if you decide to go to an "owner update".

Last edited:

jasavak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to Pagosa Springs , CO every year and hear many complaints from the Wyndham owners . In addition to the added fees they seem to cut back on the maintenance on some of their buildings .

The better buildings and their best inventory is reserved for outside rentals to make extra money . In other words , money talks and the owners come last with this company .

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the explanations, everyone. I had no idea there could be so many charges, coming from a straightforward experience at Bluegreen. Makes me grateful we didn't exchange our Bluegreen for Wyndham!

What do you mean exchange? I'm wondering if you mean turn over your Bluegreen for Wyndham points? I was just at a short sales pitch this past weekend in Wis. Dells, and the sales guy was trying to get me to trade in my Myrtle Beach timeshare for Wyndham points, and I have never heard of this before so I'm curious if you where told the same thing?

He said I could get 254,000 points for my MB, but I would also have to buy 105,000 from him for a mere 15K!! I would have a total of 359,000 points and only pay maintenance on the 105,000 points??? I wasn't buying a word of it. I'm curious what tuggers think of this pitch?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like you would keep your Myrtle Beach unit and use it as Points for Deposit within RCI, and/or because of your VIP status that your new 359k points would give you, turn in points to pay part of the MF.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Sounds like you would keep your Myrtle Beach unit and use it as Points for Deposit within RCI, and/or because of your VIP status that your new 359k points would give you, turn in points to pay part of the MF.

Sounds like a PIC contract. You keep Bluegreen, buy the points indicated, pay maintance fees to Wyndham for the new purchase and pay maintance fees as you have been doing to Bluegreen. Every year, for a small fee, you can get the Bluegreen week converted to Wyndham points. Not a bad deal if you want Wyndham VIP status. The Wyndham points could be used anywhere in the Wyndham Vacation Resorts system.

P.S. The Mrytle Beach Wyndhams for the most part are on the Ocean and the locations far exceed the Blue Green property that is across the street.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

I don't know what RCI PFD has to do with Wyndham. I must not understand this post. :)

You can do PFD into RCI Points of a week that is not at a resort with even one RCI Points member.

Maybe the salesman was telling this person they can PIC a week into Wyndham and attain the Gold VIP status?

Could be Wyndham offers to take the week as a deposit for the purchase. We bought a week on eBay at our home (favorite) resort for a few hundred dollars, closing costs included. I talked to the former owners of that week, and they traded in their Colorado ski week for Welk Points. Hilarious. They said they got "credited" what they originally paid for the ski week toward the purchase. :rofl: They were ripped off! Small points package, and I wouldn't have paid $500 for what they got.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like a PIC contract. You keep Bluegreen, buy the points indicated, pay maintance fees to Wyndham for the new purchase and pay maintance fees as you have been doing to Bluegreen. Every year, for a small fee, you can get the Bluegreen week converted to Wyndham points. Not a bad deal if you want Wyndham VIP status. The Wyndham points could be used anywhere in the Wyndham Vacation Resorts system.

This is a better explanation of what I was thinking, I used the wrong term. It should have been PIC not PFD.

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what RCI PFD has to do with Wyndham. I must not understand this post. :)

Maybe the salesman was telling this person they can PIC a week into Wyndham and attain the Gold VIP status?

Yes, this is what I think he was trying to sell me, I turn in my PRV, (not blue green) and get 254k wyndham points, somehow I have less maintenance fees and RCI fees to pay after I do this. I also would of had to buy 105k points (for 15K) with wyndham, and pay $54.00 per month for 359K points? I was totally confused as I know absolutely nothing about the Wyndham system, and did not want to spend that much time with him. He did say something about gold VIP status and using points to pay fees??

So I guess I was curious about turning one timeshare over for another? Why would Wyndhan want my 3 bedroom PRV timeshare? I just don't get this at all. What is a PIC contract?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
....So I guess I was curious about turning one timeshare over for another? Why would Wyndhan want my 3 bedroom PRV timeshare? I just don't get this at all. What is a PIC contract?

Wyndham does NOT want your PRV timeshare. You still own it, you pay a $89 year Wyndham fee to keep it on the Wyndham computer system, pay another fee IF you decide you Want to Use that alloctment of WYndham points, and Wyndham deposit your unit into RCI (for some fuzzy, wazzy exchange balance calculation --- so instead of giving up a week in their timeshare system for another member's deposit of WYndham Points into RCI, they cough over your PRV unit.

Wyndham wins because they sold you something, you are paying another $89 a year for each PIC future option, and you pay again for when you want to you the Wyndham points. THen you pay Wyndham their extra fees, like RTs, HKs, and GCs. Dang, forgot about the all important $15K in developer purchased points.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham or Bluegreen? (Keeping program/membership fees in mind, too.). Thanks!

Why points at all?

I own a week 27 in the Wyndham system, if it was points it would be worth 182,000 points and cost more...With my Week 27 i get about 53 TPU's and am able to book just about ANYTHING in RCI including Wyndham weeks...Just last week i booked a 3br in Governors green for 23 TPU, now doing the math, with RCI membership, exchange fee AND my cost per TPU, that week cost me $632.11...within the Wyndham System that week would have been 203,000 points WAY out of my reach and you'd have to have a points ownership less then $3.11 per 1000 to get it at the same price i did

My other week is a Sheraton Broadway Plantation...Because i own a Floating week with an Underlying fixed week 34, i can book week 34 at 24 months out...WAY before anyone in the points program can see it...i can also make a reservation for ANY other week from 8-12 months which is still before the Star Options Points owners can...

In general, Fixed weeks are just better...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,
2 of my FIXED weeks get me 70 TPU with each deposit. I am almost ready to go on a serious hunt for 2 or 3 MORE of those weeks and sell my other weeks.

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,

I totally agree, why bother with points at all? I am getting great tpu for my PRV! The funny part about the entire sale is this guy claims it would save me future rci fees and maintenance fees. I flat out told him all I see is I'm paying Wyndham instead of RCI (which are the same??:shrug: ) Not to mention the huge buy in. I like the Wyndham's, but don't know enough to venture into their points system yet. I think I'm pretty happy with trading in! I got the Wyndham Glacier Canyon on a last call for 5 tpu! That was with my PRV that got me 60 tpu to begin with.

Linda,

Thanks for the clarification! The sales guy could not get that far in the pitch, because I made it clear I was not buying. So I left very confused, I had no idea they could turn my prv into wyndham points. Learn something new everyday on Tug!!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

P.S. The Mrytle Beach Wyndhams for the most part are on the Ocean and the locations far exceed the Blue Green property that is across the street.

Bluegreen has 4 resorts in Myrtle Beach, Harbor Light is on the Intercoastal Waterway, Carolina Grand is across the street from the Ocean and Seaglass Tower and Shorecrest Vacation Villas are directly on the ocean.

You can do the same with Bluegreen - keep your Wyndham (or other) ownership and AIM the weeks - pay a small fee each year to convert your other TSs into Bluegreen Points that can be used anywhere in the system.

They really have a lot in common except for Wyndhams run-away fees :rolleyes: