• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help- what are components of maint fees please??

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Bay
We are looking at buying a small Wyndham contract (under 100k points annual or EOY about 100k). Can someone please list the components of how the maint. fees are calculated? I want to make sure that whatever we buy has listed the correct fees. And also what are some of the lower maint fee resorts (I read that Kingsgate and sevierville TN are a couple)?

I do know that the program fee is $98 min, but how do I know if it is more?
BTW, does anyone know what the smallest contracts are on resale? Just curious.
Lastly, is there any downside to EOY contracts now? Is calculation different for the fees?

Our plan is to get small contract to use at bonnet creek probably every other yr (value season is 112k points for 2 bedroom), using the credit pool to bank points. On off yrs, we would book thru rci extra vacations (somewhere close to Disney as that is our annual family trip). We loved BC as we just stayed there this month and would like to do so in the future, but it doesn't have to be every yr. We booked for MLK week last June thru mother-in-law's rci acct, extra vacations, which cost us just under $500. We won't always be able to travel in off peak times, I know that for presidents week, for ex, would be more.
Thanks so much for the help with my questions!
-Alisha

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
annual fees are the home owners fee, defined on the wyndham website like this:

The Total HOA Fee is determined by the Board of Directors of the underlying Home Owners Association at your “home” resort. Expenses typically covered by the HOA fee include resort staff and services for owners, such as front desk, maintenance of common areas, interiors and appliances as well as major refurbishment expenses, housekeeping, utilities, and taxes. HOA Fees are structured differently based on the type of ownership you have.

plus the program fee...this finances the points program (that allows you to use points as currency throughout the system) and the reservations system

The program fee is I believe $0.51 per 1000 points so anything under about 193000 points or so will pay the minimum of $98. If you own more points than that you will pay the 51 cents...

there are other charges relating to how you pay your fee. I pay monthly and I get a bill each month, but I pay online....I pay $8 a month for the bill and an extra $3 for the online service....your seller may or may not include these charges whan they quote you a price

Also be aware that converted fixed week contracts at the sane resort will have different fees per 1000 points....This is because every same size week in a particular association will have the same fee, but some weeks will convert to more points than others

as far as UDI deeds. San Francisco, National Harbor and Las Vegas have some of the lowest fees...that of course can change

I cant speak to the every other year contracts from experience, as I dont own any, but last year they made some changes that effectively doubled the progran fees for these contracts, and this year they backed off that to the min $98 a year ...So I think if you own less than about 386000 eoy points will pay $98/year

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Ron. I was looking at an eBay sale for Wyndham Fairfield Plantation, annual 126k points, listed from Sumday vacations. It says in description that it is week 22, unit 272, in the lake Tara townhouses III. Does this mean it was a converted fixed week? It also says it expires in 2020. Does that mean that my timeshare would end and I would no longer own it, and no more fees? Do some of these wyndham contracts end and others are lifetime? It also says it is a deeded property. Maint fees says $45 month, would you consider this a good deal? Also, is there a way to verify with the seller what I am buying and the fees involved (before I buy it), something on paper that is provided from Wyndham?

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more question

Does every Wyndham contract get the "free" rci membership?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I was looking at an eBay sale for Wyndham Fairfield Plantation, annual 126k points, listed from Sumday vacations. It says in description that it is week 22, unit 272, in the lake Tara townhouses III. Does this mean it was a converted fixed week? It also says it expires in 2020. Does that mean that my timeshare would end and I would no longer own it, and no more fees? Do some of these wyndham contracts end and others are lifetime? It also says it is a deeded property. Maint fees says $45 month, would you consider this a good deal? Also, is there a way to verify with the seller what I am buying and the fees involved (before I buy it), something on paper that is provided from Wyndham?

Ask for a copy of the estopple letter...Thats provided by wyndham and should answer your questions

and yes they are describing a converted fixed week

The fees make this a good deal

I dont know about the 20/20 expiration but I think it means exactly what you say: "my timeshare would end and I would no longer own it, and no more fees"

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again Ron, what about the rci membership?

antjmar

Reaction score
also verify usage.
Ad says free 2012 use but later states annual usage to begin in 2013! :confused:
very good deal! maybe you should delete your post so you dont get people bidding against you!;)

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
also verify usage.
Ad says free 2012 use but later states annual usage to begin in 2013! :confused:
very good deal! maybe you should delete your post so you dont get people bidding against you!;)

I sent ebay seller questions and asked about 2012 usage, etc., waiting for answer. I know, I should delete my post!!:)

JeffBrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also says it expires in 2020. Does that mean that my timeshare would end and I would no longer own it, and no more fees?

Just to clarify this question. Many timeshare deeds were written with expiration dates in them so that if it no longer made economic sense to keep the property as a timeshare it could be easily dissolved.

But, here is the full wording from the deed:

each said estate being succeeded by the next in unending succession governed by said Declaration until 4:00 P.M. on the first Friday in the year 2020, as of which date said estate shall terminate, unless extended as provided by said Declaration;

The important part to look at here is the "unless extended as provided by said Declaration". Simply in 2020 the POA meeting will have a ballot that all owners will vote to extend or not extend that term. Usually it is extended by 10 or 20 year terms.

I hope this clarifies it for you but if not feel free to ask us more questions.

Thanks for looking at our listings
Jeff

Alisha.N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify this question. Many timeshare deeds were written with expiration dates in them so that if it no longer made economic sense to keep the property as a timeshare it could be easily dissolved.

But, here is the full wording from the deed:

each said estate being succeeded by the next in unending succession governed by said Declaration until 4:00 P.M. on the first Friday in the year 2020, as of which date said estate shall terminate, unless extended as provided by said Declaration;

The important part to look at here is the "unless extended as provided by said Declaration". Simply in 2020 the POA meeting will have a ballot that all owners will vote to extend or not extend that term. Usually it is extended by 10 or 20 year terms.

I hope this clarifies it for you but if not feel free to ask us more questions.

Thanks for looking at our listings
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I did get clarification from Dennis.