• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

As an owner can we use facilities if we're not occupying?

thegamebird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Marbella Beach Club & Phuket Beach Club
We're off to the far east for Christmas this year. We're owners at Phuket Beach Club with platinum weeks. Unfortunately our weeks don't allow us to occupy at Christmas so we've got a good value Getaway from II:)

We recognise that there's a rule in place tha is supposed to restrict Mai Khao guests using the pools @ the PBC, but...

A) how is this enforced?
B) As owners, even though we're not occupying are we not entitled to use the facilities? (someone once told us this was the case, but thought we'd check!)

Thanks.

Reaction score
You know, I remember hearing that once when we originally bought years and years ago. But when we actually went to use it, found out that was NOT the case (with Ocean Pointe at least). They made an exception for us, but said that is NOT the rule.

Also, this September, we were staying at Disney Pop Century for the free dining and my dad owns Grande Vista (platinum too), so we figured we'd drive over and use the pool there for the day. They said NO.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Some resorts do allow Day Pass use by owners, some don't. Where it is allowed, there are restrictions to prevent over-crowding during holidays and high-demand periods. If a resort offers it then the details will be in the governing docs and the resort employees should be able to answer any questions.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
'No" was the answer we were given.

When we first purchased at Maui Ocean Club (during the construction phase), they didn't have enough completed rooms for us to make a reservation during our first year of occupancy.

Instead, Marriott offered us a room at the Maui Ritz Carlton for a week (not a bad alternative at all). However, when we asked about the possibility of using the Maui Ocean Club pool during the day, they said 'no' (for insurance reasons they claimed). So we toughed it out at the Ritz.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know three on Hilton Head that do allow it - Barony, SurfWatch and Grande Ocean - but all three are at the GM's discretion based on occupancy levels. At SW (not sure about the other two) the GM can also limit how frequently a single owner can be issued Day Passes.

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
They allow us to do it at our Marriott Shadow Ridge as long as it is not during a holiday week. I always call first.

We bought at the Grand Pacific Palisades just so we can have day use. Use the pools there all the time. They do check our ID to make sure we are owners but that is a real perk.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I asked at DSVII and was told no. But I may ask again just to make sure that is the final answer. You never know. ;)

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
...... We recognise that there's a rule in place that is supposed to restrict Mai Khao guests using the pools @ the PBC, but...

A) how is this enforced?........

Sa-Was-Dee-Krup !!! :hi:

At Ko'Olina (Hawaii) Wrist-Bands are used to identify guests.
They're colour-coded.
One colour for exchangers and another colour for Owners.

Mai-Khao may adopt a similar practice.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're off to the far east for Christmas this year. We're owners at Phuket Beach Club with platinum weeks. Unfortunately our weeks don't allow us to occupy at Christmas so we've got a good value Getaway from II:)

We recognise that there's a rule in place tha is supposed to restrict Mai Khao guests using the pools @ the PBC, but...

A) how is this enforced?
B) As owners, even though we're not occupying are we not entitled to use the facilities? (someone once told us this was the case, but thought we'd check!)

Thanks.

We are at Phuket Beach Club now and whilst there are signs posted that Guests staying at Mai Khao may not use the J W Marriott Pools etc. which are shared with Phuket Beach Club, there does not seem to be any enforcement in place!

However you might find getting bar and meal service by the pools difficult unless you pay cash. You might find it hard to charge items to your villa.

Not sure of owners access when not staying but to be honest there does not appear to be any thing that would stop you other than a guilty feeling.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think calling first and talking to the manager on duty first is always your best bet. I did that with harbour lake and they gave me a day pass. When I got their, the manager told me that sometimes owners just show up and they often get denied. I doubt that is a rule, but just them wanting a courtesy call

fizzysoup

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Phuket Beach Club now and whilst there are signs posted that Guests staying at Mai Khao may not use the J W Marriott Pools etc. which are shared with Phuket Beach Club, there does not seem to be any enforcement in place!

However you might find getting bar and meal service by the pools difficult unless you pay cash. You might find it hard to charge items to your villa.

Not sure of owners access when not staying but to be honest there does not appear to be any thing that would stop you other than a guilty feeling.

Essentially what Malc9990 says above is correct. You would not be able to sign anything purchased on the PBC side to your room in the MKB complex, and paying cash around the pool may (or may not) lead to further questions being asked!

Enforcement is lax but not non-existent.
Certainly at peak times (such as Christmas/New Year/Easter/Songkran time) enforcement is likely to be stepped up!

I noted at Christmas time just past that sun beds sitting empty for a hour or so (but with personal items on them) were really given to waiting guests.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, in fact whilst we were at PBC last month, we overheard a couple at the pool asking to order lunch and charge it to their room at Mai Khao.
The pool attendant spoke to their supervisor who explained the rule to the couple and they left.
So sometimes anyway it is enforced.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

They're colour-coded.

My experience is that after a couple of multi-colored Mai Tai's they all look the same.

mai-tai-hawaii-umbrella-alcohol-drink-beach-summer.jpg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

They're colour-coded.

I've heard of most resorts using wrist bands - especially during the busier times - to distinguish resort guests from others who shouldn't be using the facilities, and they switch out the colors every week to prevent one-time guests from using them when they shouldn't. That makes sense.

But different colors during the same week for owners and exchangers? This is the first I've heard of such a thing and I don't think I like it. What's the purpose? Don't all guests staying at a resort have access to all amenities, whether they're owners or exchangers? Hmmmm. Other than favoring owners using their own weeks when it comes to unit placements, I don't think it's necessary or nice to point out the difference between owners and exchangers. I don't think I'd want to exchange in to such a place.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
But different colors during the same week for guests and exchangers? This is the first I've heard of such a thing and I don't think I don't like it. What's the purpose? Don't all guests staying at a resort have access to all amenities, whether they're owners or exchangers?

I don't think this is the case. When anyone checks in, say a Friday, they are issued "x" number of bands by request, depending on the number of people in the villa (kids, etc). You get one color for the week. Everyone checking in that day, regardless of how they got there, gets the same color to carry them through the entire week.

Someone checking in the following days, say a Saturday or a Sunday, may get a different color (???...not even sure about that, but i suppose it's a possibility at some resorts), but the staff knows the colors for the week, and people without bands get questioned poolside, and asked to leave if they are not guests. Exchangers and renters NEVER get different colors from owners.....all occupiers for a particular week have the same color.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think this is the case. When anyone checks in, say a Friday, they are issued "x" number of bands by request, depending on the number of people in the villa (kids, etc). You get one color for the week. Everyone checking in that day, regardless of how they got there, gets the same color to carry them through the entire week.

Someone checking in the following days, say a Saturday or a Sunday, may get a different color, but the staff knows the colors for the week, and people without bands get questioned poolside, and asked to leave if they are not guests. Exchangers and renters NEVER get different colors from owners.....all occupiers for a particular week have the same color.

That's how I think it should work, too, Marty. But that's not what Doug said (and I edited my post to change "guests" to "owners" like he said.) I'm hoping I misunderstood him. :shrug:

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
That's how I think it should work, too, Marty. But that's not what Doug said (and I edited my post to change "guests" to "owners" like he said.) I'm hoping I misunderstood him. :shrug:

At MGO, it's always been done this way: they always had ONE color for Fri-Sat-Sun check-ins, and then when Fri rolled around again, the color changed for the following week. Much too complicated otherwise, imho.

Regarding any other practice: remember, exchangers sometimes are owners coming back in, too, so that would get complicated if too many colors were handed out. It just doesn't make sense at all to distinguish between the groups.

If the policy ever did change, and i doubt it, i totally missed it, and I'd be more than shocked. And i might further add that I would see to it that it changed back.

I'll see the resort manager Bob Spears when we return in April. I may check on it sooner, tho. We'll be there at GO for 3 weeks in June, and that's the time it matters, i.e., when the platinum season demands the use of the bands (I'm the biggest proponent of those!!!)

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nope.... you didn't misunderstand moi.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope.... you didn't misunderstand moi.

Have they ever explained why they think it's necessary to make such a public display of which guests are owners and which are exchangers?

Empty Nest

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui Ocean Club

We just left Maui Ocean Club, and the staff was diligent about checking wrist bands. They constantly monitored the pool, chairs, and cabanas and used walkie talkies.

Our first day the attendant asked us if we were owners. (We had used DC points.)

I said, "We are Marriott owners, but not here." She checked her clipboard for our names, then gave us the green rubber wrist band stamped 'owner'. The renters and non-Marriott owners (I assume) got paper yellow wristbands. She told us to keep the rubber bands and use them when we came back within the year.

Each day without fail we were checked for wristbands. The paper wristbands changed color each day.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have they ever explained why they think it's necessary to make such a public display of which guests are owners and which are exchangers?

NO... nor did I ask for an explanation.
We were at Ko'Olina in Sept 2011 (Will be back there again in Sept. 2012).
We attended the Fish-Feeding at the JW Marriott and the person in charge said to us: "Ahhhh.... I see you're owners"
I asked how he knew and he mentioned by the colour of your wrist-bands.
Subsequently, we made it a point and noticed two different clours of wrist-bands.

BTW:
We were there for two consecutive weeks and used the same colour bands.
Thus... they didn't issue us different colours the 2nd week.

There are also free activities at Ko'Olina for owners
(lei-making, introduction to local fruits, ukulele lessons, etc.).

IMHO... they're treating owners to extras, to justify the sky-high MF :D

I don't have any objection when "owners" are given extra privileges at their home resorts.
At Marriott Marbella, there's a special "check-in" line for owners.
There are "Owner Cocktail Parties" at some resorts.
I've traded in to other resorts where "owners" have special privileges,
that I'm not entitled to, like discount or free green-fees.

"Everyone" does it:
Airlines for their frequent-flyers, Hotels for their "members", Restaurants offer discounts to email-members, etc. etc. etc.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just left Maui Ocean Club, and the staff was diligent about checking wrist bands. They constantly monitored the pool, chairs, and cabanas and used walkie talkies.

Our first day the attendant asked us if we were owners. (We had used DC points.)

I said, "We are Marriott owners, but not here." She checked her clipboard for our names, then gave us the green rubber wrist band stamped 'owner'. The renters and non-Marriott owners (I assume) got paper yellow wristbands. She told us to keep the rubber bands and use them when we came back within the year.

Each day without fail we were checked for wristbands. The paper wristbands changed color each day.

I think that's GREAT !!!
IMHO, as Marriott owners, you should have "privileges"
above and beyond traders, renters and/or non-guests at MVCI resorts.

When we exchanged into Lawrence Welk resorts in Escondito, CA
we learned that room assignments are based on "owners" vs non-owners.
I have no problem with that either.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. I had no idea. My resorts place owners ahead of exchangers for the best units and they have an Owners Social on the calendar every week, but that's about the extent of owner privileges. I don't know why anyone who's not an owner would go to something called an "Owners ___" but maybe they do, for the free crackers? I wouldn't. :shrug: The few resorts I know of with discount golf, etc. extend those discounts to exchangers - you always see posts on TUG asking if exchangers get them and the answer is usually yes.

I don't like this business of different color wristbands and the way they must make exchangers feel. I know if I give up my owner's week for an exchange to another Marriott, I don't want to go somewhere else only to be made to feel like I'm not worthy of many of the available amenities. That's not cool.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea. My resorts place owners ahead of exchangers for the best units and they have an Owners Social on the calendar every week, but that's about the extent of owner privileges. I don't know why anyone who's not an owner would go to something called an "Owners ___" but maybe they do, for the free crackers? I wouldn't. :shrug: The few resorts I know of with discount golf, etc. extend those discounts to exchangers - you always see posts on TUG asking if exchangers get them and the answer is usually yes.

I don't like this business of different color wristbands and the way they must make exchangers feel. I know if I give up my owner's week for an exchange to another Marriott, I don't want to go somewhere else only to be made to feel like I'm not worthy of many of the available amenities. That's not cool.

I don't agree with the differing colored bands for the differing classification of occupiers.

I wonder what color bands they give to the folks who stay using Destination Club points? After all, they own @ every resort.

Or, do they give those folks the same color wrist bands that the occupying weeks owners have:ponder: ?

Anyone have any idea?

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I don't agree with the differing colored bands for the differing classification of occupiers.

I wonder what color bands they give to the folks who stay using Destination Club points? After all, they own @ every resort.

Or, do they give those folks the same color wrist bands that the occupying weeks owners have:ponder: ?

Anyone have any idea?

Maybe that will be part of their sales pitch to sell DC points. You are considered an owner at all properties and will be treated as such.