• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you use your RCI Points?

123tmp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

Other than looking for RCI Exchanges, I am hoping to be educated on how the experts make use of the points.

Looking for creative ways to use the RCI points before they expire. I have about 80k points. So far, the option of cashing seem to be best path? but then, there is a limit on how much I can in any given year.

Thanks ... Paul

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually use "extra" points in the points partner program for hotel stays or rental cars.
You can also "save" them with RCI for another year.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, I used some points for the RCI prepaid credit card, but they have since removed that option. :(

I plan on using some for rental cars or hotels, but only if it's a good redemption rate.

For timeshare exchanges, there are several situations where RCI Points works out as a better deal than RCI Weeks:

1) For smaller units, especially in places like NYC (where you can't get a big unit anyway).
2) For stays less a week (sometimes). Watch out for housekeeping fees, though. Often a full week in RCI Weeks is "cheaper".
3) For inventory that you can't find in RCI Weeks. Each has unique inventory, and some things are easier to find in one or the other.
4) For discounted RCI Weeks inventory within 30 days. Not everything comes through at 7500 or 9000 points, but a lot does. That can often be cheaper than booking through RCI Weeks.

123tmp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it very much

Sincerely ... Paul

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm canceling my points membership when it expires in April. I was just able to book a flight to MCO using 25,000 points. The cost was around $56.00 including the $25.00 fee. I'm now left with 2,800 points, which will be difficult to use. I am now looking for a one-two night stay within in hour's drive from home. If I cannot find one, I'll let the 2,800 go to slush. I think I did pretty well getting rid of the points. I'm simply no longer a happy camper with RCI after 15 years. I was also able to book two week's vacation with a spacebank in my weeks account from 2010. I am leaving only one point.

I just bought a cheap unit from the TUG Marketplace that exchanges with II. Now, I'm happy!

Fitts

Reaction score
How to Use Points that Expire Soon

I called RCI and was told that I have to have 25,000 points or more to book a hotel through the points program. How do you find a 2-3 night stay at a resort for 2800?

[Advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums - DeniseM Moderator]

I no longer own at a Points resort.

What does the previous writer mean about points going to "slush"? Does that mean just wasted/unable to use?

There's a lot I don't understand about points as I was never able to use what I had.
Thank!

Last edited by a moderator:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I think that if I'm unable to use my remaining 2800 points by April, I will simply close the account with them remaining. I should not have said they would go to slush. I have seen a few units for a one day stay @1,500 points. If the drive isn't too far, I might do a one night stay just to get rid of the points. I hope this has clarified my previous post. :)

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm canceling my points membership when it expires in April. I was just able to book a flight to MCO using 25,000 points. The cost was around $56.00 including the $25.00 fee. I'm now left with 2,800 points, which will be difficult to use. I am now looking for a one-two night stay within in hour's drive from home. If I cannot find one, I'll let the 2,800 go to slush. I think I did pretty well getting rid of the points. I'm simply no longer a happy camper with RCI after 15 years. I was also able to book two week's vacation with a spacebank in my weeks account from 2010. I am leaving only one point.

I just bought a cheap unit from the TUG Marketplace that exchanges with II. Now, I'm happy!

When I originally researched the RCI points system in 2007, it seemed like it would not work well. "Resorts" were popping up in some unlikely placing just to sell RCI points. I wondered about how it was going to work since the owners of these points in out of the way locations were never going to go to their resort. It seemed it would just make the demand for the good resorts higher. I decided to take a wait and see approach. It seems that no one is happy with RCI points. I would like a cheap in to RCI to try it out. I am an II resort owner and would like a shot at RCI last minute deals, but it doesn't seem RCI points are the way to go.