• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

starwood amex

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder for all of us who use autopay with our AMEX as of 1/31/2012 we will not be able to use autopay with AMEX. I hate that they are doing this. All those extra starpoints down the drain.

Southwest is smart and offering a promotion to sign-up using their credit card and get an extra 1000 points as long as you are on autopay for 2 months. So I registered all my SW cards to get extra 3000 points.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
What do you mean by autopay? Bills being charged to AMEX or paying the AMEX bill?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Have no idea what you're talking about. I use my SPG AMEX to pay lots of bills automatically. Are you saying that these won't earn StarPoints anymore?

As far as MFs go, I pay a portion of them each month on my SPG Amex, so they do earn SPs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Have no idea what you're talking about. I use my SPG AMEX to pay lots of bills automatically. Are you saying that these won't earn StarPoints anymore?

As far as MFs go, I pay a portion of them each month on my SPG Amex, so they do earn SPs.

I believe PJ is saying starting 1/31/12 - you will no longer be able to autopay regular bills with the SPG AMEX card - I have not been notified of this, but I often do not read changes in the T&Cs of my credit cards...

I do not think this applies to paying your MFs with the AMEX SPG, but to other bills (e.g Gas/electric) I would gather but not sure...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you set up the autopay through PG&E for example, instead of at the Starwood end, won't it still work?

And of course if not, you can still manually pay your bills with the AMEX online. That's what I do anyway - I don't really like autopay.

spuppy

Reaction score
The Amex web page has a link that advertises "Get the most out of your Card by using it to pay bills. You can earn more rewards, save time and keep track of expenses in one place." and "Don't worry about due dates and late fees with automatic bill payment".

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Don't worry about due dates and late fees with automatic bill payment".

I believe that refers to having AMEX automatically withdraw your card statement payment/balance from your bank on the statement due date.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I believe that refers to having AMEX automatically withdraw your card statement payment/balance from your bank on the statement due date.

So why would this keep you from earning the same number of points from purchases as you did previously? You still have to make the payment, regardless of how it's done? :shrug:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So why would this keep you from earning the same number of points from purchases as you did previously? You still have to make the payment, regardless of how it's done? :shrug:

Dunno -- doesn't make any sense to me, but I think this is an AMEX USA thing. No such notification to us Canadians...

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dunno -- doesn't make any sense to me, but I think this is an AMEX USA thing. No such notification to us Canadians...
No notification to me in the United States, either. :shrug:

paluamalia

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
SPG Points

We pay as many bills as we can with SPG, and I have had no notification, but we are traveling and the mail is a bit delayed.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We pay as many bills as we can with SPG, and I have had no notification, but we are traveling and the mail is a bit delayed.

We do the same. Nothing tells me about anything changing.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
spoke with AMEX about the stupid e-mail i got and they were most apologetic.
the letter was worded poorly.
if you set up your payments through AMEX then that will no longer exist but if you set up your charge payments with each vendor on their account then you can continue to earn starpoints.

so i changed 2 accounts over to SW to get an extra 1000 points and then i will switch back to Starwood in 2 months.