• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG credit on an owner rental?

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i am renting out my SDO week. The rentor is a gold SPG member. if they provide their number for their stay, will they receive any starpoints or credit for their stay?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of course. They'll receive points based on what they spend at the resort. And, with the recent change, they should also receive nightly credit toward Platinum status.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the recent change only came into play if using SPG points. Won't the person only get points for meals, incidentals, etc.?

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course. They'll receive points based on what they spend at the resort. And, with the recent change, they should also receive nightly credit toward Platinum status.

What recent change?

I thought the recent change only came into play if using SPG points. Won't the person only get points for meals, incidentals, etc.?

This was what I thought but read conflicting posts. That is why I posed the question.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would Starwood give a renter from an owner credit toward Platinum SPG status for the stay?

If the rental is booked through Starwood, Starwood makes money. If the rental is booked through a timeshare owner, the timeshare owner makes money.

Starwood rewards persons who spend money with it - not persons who spend money with others.

The money for the meals and incidentals goes to Starwood and will generate Starpoints if paid for with the SPG Amex card. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To my knowledge, no one receives Starpoints for regular timeshare stays. You only receive Starpoints if you rent from Starwood, or use your Starwood AMEX at the resort.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wound up calling both Starwood owner services and the resort itself. Both parties confirmed that no credit of any sort is given for the accommodations portion but credit would be given for amenities purchases as noted by Jarta and Denise.

Ken, not sure what you were referring to in your post :confused:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
you will only get starpoints for food,and drinks if you use your starwood amex card. You will not get stay credit since it is NOT a starpoint or paid stay.

The renter must give the desk his SPG number to get starpoints for incidentals or you will get the points since it is your unit.

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
I believe the "recent change" Ken mentioned may be that SPG points stays at the hotels now give you credit toward platinum status. (It does count as a "stay" where it did not previously.)

I did not believe that would apply in this case. We do not get credit for timeshare stays.

It may apply to those of you who convert your options to credits and stay at Starwood properties especially if you are a few stays short of achieving status and had some SPG points stays. Like some of these people on Flyer Talk who do "milage runs", using a few points to book a room and check in but not actually stay may be useful in a limited fashion. Of course this has no use to those of you who are 5* and PFL.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You're all correct. Sorry, I posted too late and too tired. Renters would only receive points based on what they spend.

Reaction score
Can you clarify something: Are you saying Starwood owners automatically get Starwood hotel points when buying food and some other types of purchases at the resort? Or only if they have a Starwood AmEx card and use that?

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Can you clarify something: Are you saying Starwood owners automatically get Starwood hotel points when buying food and some other types of purchases at the resort? Or only if they have a Starwood AmEx card and use that?

Thanks!

If you buy something at the resort during your stay (e.g. food, bev) - you get SPs added to your SPG account for the purchase price. These SPs are on top of the SPs you get for using your SPG AMEX card. Also, I have had people rent from me and bought something during their stay and I received their SPs (guess they didn't have an SPG account?) - this doesn't happen all the time, but it has occurred.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You will not get stay credit since it is NOT a starpoint or paid stay.

If an SVO owner books a resort stay using StarOptions, the owner does get a stay credit with SPG towards platinum status. That is a recent change since late last year.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
no, TS stays using staroptions will NOT count toward platinum status.

The fact that my recent trip to WSJ using StarOptions is listed as one of my stays confirms that, in fact, you do get this credit. Just like they say in writing on the web site.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The fact that my recent trip to WSJ using StarOptions is listed as one of my stays confirms that, in fact, you do get this credit. Just like they say in writing on the web site.

Unfortunately - this is not correct. Just because it is listed as a stay on the SPG website does not mean that it goes towards SPG Elite status. The recent change was for stay credits for stays using SPs (not SOs). Meaning... if you book a stay using SPs or SP/Cash - you get credit for stays that goes toward SPG Elite status.

http://www.spgpromos.com/awardnightscount/index.cfm?language=en_us&IM=ENC_SPG_B2
"all SPG® Award stays and eligible nights will now earn credit toward Gold and Platinum elite status qualification."

A SO stay is not a SPG award stay... I wish it were the case as I would be SPG Plat very easily...

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you got stay credit for a staroptions stay that was a mistake. They sometimes make errors, but you shouldn't count on it happening every time. If you try to use it as a precedent to get that every time, they'll probably just take the last one away, they certainly won't change their policy over it.

You should only get a stay credit at a timeshare resort if you book an eligible rate from a starwood website (spg.com, westin.com, etc) or if you pay for a room with starpoints. Staroption stays don't count towards elite status.

Regards,

Michael

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
This is from MSC:

Q: How can I earn Starpoints?
A: You can earn Starpoints in two ways.

By converting a vacation ownership interest to its equivalent Starpoints value.
By earning Starpoints for every eligible dollar you spend at any participating Starwood hotel or resort (excluding Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts) on stays booked through Starwood websites, hotels, call centers, and your travel agent or corporate booking tool. You can also earn Starpoints with services and merchandise outside of the Starwood Preferred Guest network of hotels and resorts. You can earn Starpoints at our financial services partners, including Ameritrade, American Express® Membership Rewards and the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.