• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lots of Harborside Availability Right Now!

Reaction score
The lady we spoke with on the phone at Starwood today gave us interesting info. on what people have been doing - and it is good news for those of you who want to get into Harborside and can travel with short notice! Apparently, people book and then hold their booking until they cancel at the last minute, deciding not to go for whatever reasons.

There are currently a whole bunch of available Harborside units (something like 35% of the place) between now and mid-February! So, if you can take a short-notice trip, call and book yourself a nice vacation! :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks for the heads up. I, personally, wouldn't want to go to the Bahamas in the dead of winter because I like warmer temperatures, but it might be a good find for someone.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, there is current, short term availability at Harborside because some of the fixed week reservations made a year ago which were for arrivals of 60 days or less were unpaid at the due date - which just passed.

At the end of this month, IMO, there will be a window of availability at Harborside (and maybe Westin St John) as the rest of the later fixed week reservations are cancelled due to lockouts for non-payment of MF in a timely manner.

I believe Starwood and the Harborside HOA are getting much tougher about delinquencies and late pays at the resort and will be cancelling reservations much sooner than they used to for failure to pay MFs. It will be an unusual opportunity to make StarOption reservations. Get ready to start calling for summer availability around 2/1. All IMO. ... eom

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Wouldn't Bahamas temperatures be great in late January/early February? Isn't it just warming up?

We were in St. Thomas in late January/early February of 2011 and the weather was perfect.

Please advise and thanks!

woodyd70

TUG Member
Reaction score
HUGE Announcement

Attention all Starwood Owners........there is a new resort in our system that has recently come online. The location of the resort is unknown, but hopefully we will know more details soon. The resort seems to have short term availability now, so call for your reservation.

The name of the resort is HBR
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wouldn't Bahamas temperatures be great in late January/early February? Isn't it just warming up?

We were in St. Thomas in late January/early February of 2011 and the weather was perfect.

Please advise and thanks!

Bahamas is several hundred miles north of the Virgin Islands. Average high in the Bahamas in January/February is 77 degrees in January/February. Average high in St. John is 84 degrees.

Today, for instance, today's forecast for Nassau is 74 degrees and for St. John it's 81 degrees.

Can't complain about 74, but I won't be swimming at that temperature.

http://www.vinow.com/usvi/weather.php

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I went to the Bahamas in January on a 5 day/4 night trip several years ago. It was snowing at home when we left and when we arrived it was mid 80's and a little humid. I was very tired so didn't do much the first day. That was the only warm/hot day. The next day was upper 60's and breezy. The rest of the time was light jacket weather and cloudy.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not seeing anything in II for the resort, I wonder if Starwood is holding the units back for internal trading or renting.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went to the Bahamas in January on a 5 day/4 night trip several years ago. It was snowing at home when we left and when we arrived it was mid 80's and a little humid. I was very tired so didn't do much the first day. That was the only warm/hot day. The next day was upper 60's and breezy. The rest of the time was light jacket weather and cloudy.

Not unusual. Here is the 5 day forecast for Nassau:

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Nassau+The+Bahamas+BFXX0005

So, while it's definitely better than most of the mainland, if I wanted to get in the water, I'd pick Hawaii or St. John over Harborside in the winter.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lisa, ... Nassau absolutely has more variable weather than St. John. At this time of year St. John has consistent higher highs and higher lows. St. John has no winter weather that pushes down the Atlantic Coast.

If you like St. John better, by all means go there. But both resorts are great - and for very different reasons!

BTW, speaking of good weather, today was 82 with not a cloud in the sky in Cancun. Yesterday was 80 but cloudy and, because the sun had not had a chance to warm up the pool during the day, Lagunamar turned on the pool heaters full blast. Today the pools were like a warm bath. It's quite a change from 2 years ago (when I was here last) and nobody ventured into the chilly Lagunamar pools. ... eom

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lisa, ... Nassau absolutely has more variable weather than St. John. At this time of year St. John has consistent higher highs and higher lows. St. John has no winter weather that pushes down the Atlantic Coast.

If you like St. John better, by all means go there. But both resorts are great - and for very different reasons!

BTW, speaking of good weather, today was 82 with not a cloud in the sky in Cancun. Yesterday was 80 but cloudy and, because the sun had not had a chance to warm up the pool during the day, Lagunamar turned on the pool heaters full blast. Today the pools were like a warm bath. It's quite a change from 2 years ago (when I was here last) and nobody ventured into the chilly Lagunamar pools. ... eom

enjoy. sounds like perfect weather.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I, personally, wouldn't want to go to the Bahamas in the dead of winter because I like warmer temperatures, but it might be a good find for someone.

We always go in the winter (December/January). In the past two years, yes, there have been some cold days (within a three-week span), but it is normally just fine! Much better than being in the northern U.S., regardless! ;) At least if it is cold, Atlantis has many indoor things to do, which you can't say about most resorts.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Just back from a week there--80 everyday except one==weather was gorgeous==not too hot. Only negative was the Mayan Temple pool and the pool directly in front of RT closed for one whole day==due to lack of water pressure so pool water was low.
Harborside not crowded and even though the Poker Tournament was on hotel wasn't crowded either.
Only new thing we noticed is they no longer allow you in the RT main entrance without a room key--also if you are walking from Coral to Royal they have someone checking room keys from there with no entry without one.
We were told too many cruise ship folks just hanging out.
Also all the chairs at the main resort replaced and they no longer have the shade covers on them--one of the attendants told me there were huge fights over them last March between guests reserving them so they got rid of them all together--Harborside still has them however!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Also for the first time in 10+ years that the Harborside pool was actually warm enough to go in==also hot tub hot every day!

Reaction score
The attendance for the poker tournament is low this year due to the U.S. gov't shutting down all the online poker sites (at least one of which was a sponsor of the annual tournament). This might be the last year for the tournament.

The Royal Tower main door needing a key has been that way for at least a year. Yes, it is due to the cruise people not paying for a day pass, but just walking the grounds for free. (Day-pass holders also have to use the alternate door, though.)

That stinks that people were fighting over the chairs like that and ruined it for everyone! I'm glad Harborside still has them, though, as we use those all the time.

And, WOW, the Harborside pool was actually warm?!?! Sweet!

LauraTexan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excited to hear that the Harborside pool was warm! I was able to call yesterday and reserve a 2 bedroom for the middle of March. I am a little worried that it may be too cold to swim in the ocean then. My teenagers will be very disappointed if we do not get to go snorkling. However, I just read about Stuart's Cove snorkle trip that will rent you a wetsuit, so we may do that. This will be our first trip to Harborside and we can't wait!

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lady we spoke with on the phone at Starwood today gave us interesting info. on what people have been doing - and it is good news for those of you who want to get into Harborside and can travel with short notice! Apparently, people book and then hold their booking until they cancel at the last minute, deciding not to go for whatever reasons.

There are currently a whole bunch of available Harborside units (something like 35% of the place) between now and mid-February! So, if you can take a short-notice trip, call and book yourself a nice vacation! :D
Stupid question, Where are you searching for prices? Expedia, II, star wood?? Checked on RCI....nothing?

Reaction score
Stupid question, Where are you searching for prices? Expedia, II, star wood?? Checked on RCI....nothing?

Like the previous poster said, it was while on the phone with Starwood Vacation Ownership (the Elite owner number). We own at Harborside. I don't know how it works for when cancellations can be booked via Interval, if at all.