• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott / Renting a unit from another owner

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently at Marriott Surf Club on a week rented from another owner. I was always under the impressions that the owner's name always stayed on the reservation with MVCI. I just had a conversation with Scott Derrickson Gm of surf club outside by the pool and apparently the owner CAN have their name Removed from the reservationby paying 80 usd to owner services. Worthwhile for those paying big bucks to insist that the owner remote their name from the res don't you think?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently at Marriott Surf Club on a week rented from another owner. I was always under the impressions that the owner's name always stayed on the reservation with MVCI. I just had a conversation with Scott Derrickson Gm of surf club outside by the pool and apparently the owner CAN have their name Removed from the reservationby paying 80 usd to owner services. Worthwhile for those paying big bucks to insist that the owner remote their name from the res don't you think?

Why does it matter if their name is removed, as long as your name is on it?

I never remove my name when I rent my extra weeks. I do put the renter's name in the first slot on the reservation and they become the primary name on the reservation. This is what I send the renter to validate to them that they are now listed with Marriott.

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reason for owner removing name

The renter does not always know the owner and there is absolutely nothing that would stop the owner from taking te money and then removing thee renter's name. I witnesses te front desk turn away three people who were rented the same unit by an owner. Surf club will be initiating litigation as a result.

Why does it matter if their name is removed, as long as your name is on it?

I never remove my name when I rent my extra weeks. I do put the renter's name in the first slot on the reservation and they become the primary name on the reservation. This is what I send the renter to validate to them that they are now listed with Marriott.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I rented my Marriott weeks, I do either - keep my name or remove my name.
When I asked Marriott to remove my name and put only my friends (renter) name, I've never paid $80 to do that. There was no extra fee. Marriott asked if I want to keep my name and just add guest's name or remove my name and replace guests name.
If renters are my relatives or friends, I remove my name and put their names only. If renter are not related to me, I leave my name and add guests name. Through that way, renter cannot sub lease (re rent) my week to someone else.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
Most times I have rented from Marriott owners, the owner has removed their name from the reservation. For next months trip the owner has left his name on the reservation with his name first. Doesn't matter to me.

The owner could always switch out the reservation last minute regardless of whether or not his/her name is on the reservation. That's the trust issue with renting from an owner and why I expect a significant discount over renting directly from Marriott.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The owner could always switch out the reservation last minute regardless of whether or not his/her name is on the reservation. That's the trust issue with renting from an owner and why I expect a significant discount over renting directly from Marriott.

This is the fact of the matter, it doesn't matter if owner's name is there or not, owners never lose control.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The confirmation slip from my resort always has my name on it, but when I rent, the resort adds a 'guest' name, too.

I've never had any renter raise a concern about it--but it's true as MoxJo said, the owner could rent it out multiple times and change the confirmation slip as they please.

There is just a level of trust that needs to be established between the parties.