• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eating popcorn during a movie

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my kids (10,10,13) and one of my older DD's friends to see a movie. My son likes to eat popcorn during the movie and he specifically saves his popcorn to eat when the movies starts. So we're watching the movie and he's enjoying his popcorn when the lady in front of me says something about someone eating popcorn and it was really annoying and she gets up and walks out (not sure where she went)...I look around and I see my son is eating his popcorn (enjoying it and the movie) and I check to see that his mouth is closed (otherwise I would have made him) and I don't see or hear any one else...

At the end of the movie, I hear a lady say "that was the most horrendous popcorn eating by that boy..." and I guess she meant my son since we were in front of her walking out...

I was so upset I didn't say or do anything...and to top it off my son was talking to me and saying that it was the best popcorn he has had and he really liked the movie! She kept up those type of comments all the way out of the theater - thank goodness my son didn't hear them.

Should I not let my son eat popcorn during the movies anymore? That'll save me big bucks when I don't have to buy popcorn anymore!! Should I have done or said anything?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my kids (10,10,13) and one of my older DD's friends to see a movie. My son likes to eat popcorn during the movie and he specifically saves his popcorn to eat when the movies starts. So we're watching the movie and he's enjoying his popcorn when the lady in front of me says something about someone eating popcorn and it was really annoying and she gets up and walks out (not sure where she went)...I look around and I see my son is eating his popcorn (enjoying it and the movie) and I check to see that his mouth is closed (otherwise I would have made him) and I don't see or hear any one else...

At the end of the movie, I hear a lady say "that was the most horrendous popcorn eating by that boy..." and I guess she meant my son since we were in front of her walking out...

I was so upset I didn't say or do anything...and to top it off my son was talking to me and saying that it was the best popcorn he has had and he really liked the movie! She kept up those type of comments all the way out of the theater - thank goodness my son didn't hear them.

Should I not let my son eat popcorn during the movies anymore? That'll save me big bucks when I don't have to buy popcorn anymore!! Should I have done or said anything?

the theater owners make more money on the popcorn, than they do on the tickets....I cant watch a movie without popcorn. and I dont know anyone that can eat popcorn quietly. I probably would have said something nasty, but thats me. I think the best advice is to have done just what you did...ignore it. and now that its behind you...forget it. ...And enjoy the next movie you see with your son...That same lady probably wont be there

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Anyone going to a movie should assume that they'll be near people eating popcorn. Anyone going to a movie appropriate for young children should also assume that there will be wiggling, whispering, and bathroom trips. If people are easily distracted by such activities, they should try to attend showing when the theater won't be crowded and they can sit away from everyone else. The only reason anyone should have a right to get upset is if cell phone use is distracting. Don't let that rude behavior upset you and keep the pop corn flowing.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ignore it

I would do just as you did and ignore her.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Goodness, she must have incredibly sensitive hearing!

I am bothered by cell phones in front of me, swinging feet on the seat behind me, whispering anywhere, and crackling candy wrappers...but popcorn? Never never. Popcorn is to be expected in a movie, and honestly I don't think I've ever heard it anyway!

Now at a Broadway show a few years ago there was a class of ill-mannered middle-school kids behind me, swinging their feet, whispering, and crackling wrappers - THAT bothered me enough that during intermission I politely commented to their teacher/chaperone that they were being bothersome. We're talking $100+ tickets and highly inappropriate behavior.

But popcorn in a movie? No way, not unless he was throwing it, slurping, spitting.......

I would have either said nothing, or said "I'm terribly sorry Ma'am, I'm glad you were able to find another seat".

L

laurac260

Personally I wish all eating would be banned in movie theaters, not because I'm some sort of movie scrooge, but because I have this sensitivity issue that makes crinkling, chewing noises akin to torture. If the room is noisy then everyone can chew. If the room is quiet, then the mere sound of crinkling sends me up a tree. I don't know why, and frankly wish I didn't have this issue, because it is an annoying issue to have, but I have very sensitive hearing . If we are at dinner and the whole family is talking and eating, I'm fine. If I am sitting alone with someone in a quiet house and they are chewing, I sometimes find it necessary to plug my ears.

So yes, I would have been thoroughly annoyed at the popcorn chewing, but I also "get" that popcorn and movies are like baseball and hot dogs, or something like that. And I have a little guy who is also in heaven to have a bag of 'corn in his lap and a hi-c in his cup holder as he watches his movie.

We watch a lot of DVD's:shrug:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just ignore her. I'm glad your son didn't hear her complaining and that he enjoyed the movie and the popcorn. If the woman can't bear the sound of popcorn being eaten, she can always stay home and watch TV.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I once had a boss who couldn't stand the smell of popcorn when someone was eating it. I never understood that until it happened to me (and I could live on popcorn). It's when the popcorn is old that it smells, off. I have a terrible reaction to the smell when people eat Fritos Corn Chips. I have to leave the room because I can hardly breathe. It's not a choice, it's physical. Maybe she had that kinda reaction. If so, she and anyone who can't stand the smell of or the sound of someone eating popcorn should rent DVD's and stay home and leave the rest of us paying customers alone. IMO.

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I feel much better! I'm sorry that the lady didn't get to enjoy the movie. We were watching Sherlock Holmes and it was sold out. Truthfully, I didn't even hear my son eating popcorn until the lady got up and made her comments...

Thank you all for your feedback!

skj62

TUG Member
Reaction score
Say What

I don't think you should ignore it. Where do people get off making comments like that knowing that eating popcorn in a movie is expected. Remember if you don't respond they continue to think they have the right to expect the world to revolve around them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My stepdad is pretty hard of hearing and doesn't hear his own noises. He is not a noisy eater (except when he eats soup, which he slurps loudly), but he rattles the popcorn bag obnoxiously during the movie. He really digs into that popcorn bag! :rolleyes: We take him to the movies almost every time we go, and people always turn and look at him because of that stupid bag. It annoys me too, so I get it. AMC theaters need buckets.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe that lady should just stay at home and rent movies. I'm so glad your son enjoyed the movie and his popcorn, and that he didn't hear her mean-spirited comments.

Dori

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think you should ignore it. Where do people get off making comments like that knowing that eating popcorn in a movie is expected. Remember if you don't respond they continue to think they have the right to expect the world to revolve around them.

but in the middle of a movie is not the time. someone else can teach the lady another time she is miffed by the perfectly normal things going on around her.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I thought it was only me. I agree, my life would be easier if I didn't have this issue and I have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Personally I wish all eating would be banned in movie theaters, not because I'm some sort of movie scrooge, but because I have this sensitivity issue that makes crinkling, chewing noises akin to torture. If the room is noisy then everyone can chew. If the room is quiet, then the mere sound of crinkling sends me up a tree. I don't know why, and frankly wish I didn't have this issue, because it is an annoying issue to have, but I have very sensitive hearing . If we are at dinner and the whole family is talking and eating, I'm fine. If I am sitting alone with someone in a quiet house and they are chewing, I sometimes find it necessary to plug my ears.

So yes, I would have been thoroughly annoyed at the popcorn chewing, but I also "get" that popcorn and movies are like baseball and hot dogs, or something like that. And I have a little guy who is also in heaven to have a bag of 'corn in his lap and a hi-c in his cup holder as he watches his movie.

We watch a lot of DVD's:shrug:

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the woman’s comment. But, some people are very annoying when they eat popcorn at the movies. And, some people are more sensitive to noises than others.

We don’t have a problem with most people eating in the movie theaters, but there is the occasional person who really digs in the bag, rustles the bag and/or crunches the popcorn with their mouth open on every bite. If they are right behind us, the noise seems especially loud to my husband and me. And, it seems like the noisy ones buy the biggest bag they sell so it lasts a long time. If they have the big bag and are right behind us - we won’t say anything, but we may give “the look” and change seats if the theater isn’t full and then forget about it. This is the same “look” you give when someone is kicking the back of your seat. And, when you go to the movies you have to expect this might happen.

We don’t go the movies as often as we used to and when we do we try to get seat in the back row so no one sits behind us.

And, I won’t get started on people who bring crying and fussy babies into the movie theater.

Buy the small bag popcorn and enjoy the show! :)

skj62

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what show many of you attend but the ones I go to the volume is turned up so loud I can barely hear myself think much less hear someone eating popcorn.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
The popcorn thing drives me crazy, but I expect it when I go to the theater. I never say anything. And I just try to go when it's less crowded.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what show many of you attend but the ones I go to the volume is turned up so loud I can barely hear myself think much less hear someone eating popcorn.

I completely agree; maybe that's why the popcorn eating doesn't bother me.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I would have been going to the concession stand to buy popcorn for everyone.

Can I go when you go? The popcorn costs more than my senior ticket. :) Jim

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree; maybe that's why the popcorn eating doesn't bother me.

+ 2 (or is it 3?)

Volume is typically so loud, who could possibly hear someone crunching on popcorn?

What I find annoying is someone texting in the rows below, and the phone screen is a bright light in all the darkness. DH is usually very easygoing, but last time we experienced this, he walked down several rows and tapped on the kid's shoulder and asked nicely if he'd mind turning it off (and he did).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
+ 2 (or is it 3?)

Volume is typically so loud, who could possibly hear someone crunching on popcorn?

What I find annoying is someone texting in the rows below, and the phone screen is a bright light in all the darkness. DH is usually very easygoing, but last time we experienced this, he walked down several rows and tapped on the kid's shoulder and asked nicely if he'd mind turning it off (and he did).

I hate that too, and several times have asked people to please turn it off. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I think they may have no idea now annoying it is for those behind them!