• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Trick

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Just did a new trick....

Cancelled all 3 of my next week 5 day stays at Park City( 2 at mountainside , 1 at Summitt). Rebooked with the 20% Premier Plus within 14 days as all 3 stays were available. Of course, I booked first then cancelled. Now, I have the same three ressies... and 1300 new points... They are penalty box points (60 days) But I went from zero to 1300 new points and kept the same reservation....

Think I am getting good atthis

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you booked first and then canceled, wouldn't all the points from the three five day reservations be penalty box points? Or did you use penalty box points to make the new reservations?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Just did a new trick....

Cancelled all 3 of my next week 5 day stays at Park City( 2 at mountainside , 1 at Summitt). Rebooked with the 20% Premier Plus within 14 days as all 3 stays were available. Of course, I booked first then cancelled. Now, I have the same three ressies... and 1300 new points... They are penalty box points (60 days) But I went from zero to 1300 new points and kept the same reservation....

Puck; Great Strategy.

With the right moves you can always get to the piece of cheese.....

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

yes... I cancelled 6000 pts worth of ressies... all these went to penalty box... Used 4700 to rebook as I was within 14 days... Left me with 1300 penalty box points!!!

Happy new years...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
good morning....

yes... I cancelled 6000 pts worth of ressies... all these went to penalty box... Used 4700 to rebook as I was within 14 days... Left me with 1300 penalty box points!!!

Happy new years...

So you canceled first and then rebooked? I was confused since that isn't how you worded it in your OP.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

I booked first on a hold!!!!, then cancelled (they were nice enough to do this for me), then booked the hold with penaly box points. I told them that I would not risk cancelling until the new ressie was made, as I could not risk someone else grabbing it as I am leaving in 7 days...

It is very similiar to when they hold a ressie, then convert your week to points!!!!

they were great about it!!!!

kudos to the voa...

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
good move! enjoy those extra points.:cool:

ps: thanks for sharing

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
good morning....

I booked first on a hold!!!!, then cancelled (they were nice enough to do this for me), then booked the hold with penaly box points. I told them that I would not risk cancelling until the new ressie was made, as I could not risk someone else grabbing it as I am leaving in 7 days...

It is very similiar to when they hold a ressie, then convert your week to points!!!!

they were great about it!!!!

kudos to the voa...

Sounds like a great trick. Just wanted to clarify since I wasn't sure how you booked first without points. Good that they were willing to work with you on this. A good way to remove the skim in a sense.

Was there any availability open before you canceled/booked (not including your canceled time)? Almost seems too good to be true if there was nothing available and they would let one cancel and rebook to save on points. Should do this every time. Of course this would only work for Premier and Premier Plus Owners.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

there has to be a new reservation open...otherwise everyone would call within 14 days!!! I specifically asked this...

Technically, you could cancel and then immediately rebook, but you run the risk of losing it!!!! With 15 people going, I was not going top risk it!!!!

I can get three days at Lakeshore 3 bedroom townhouse in feb with these points ( I checked and there is availability)...

I am going to sit tight with these for now...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Puck, that is a great trick - thx for posting it!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Great trick- I know you are premiere Plus. Is there a last minute discount for Premiere and for regular members as well?

pfrank4127

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great trick- I know you are premiere Plus. Is there a last minute discount for Premiere and for regular members as well?

I just checked on that myself. Looks like: 20% Premier Plus within 14 days, 20% Premier within 7 days

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
good morning...

Just did a new trick....

I did the same thing with my 800 Plus Points earlier this year at Fairway Villas. Originally I used all my 800 points for the booking but after cancelling and rebooking I had enough penalty box points left to extend our stay at Manor Club an extra 2 days this past month.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Puck,

The more I think about it, the more I like this trick.

Take Maui Ocean Club Lahaina/Napili Villas -- 2BR OF is really expensive to reserve for a week (8,650 points). But Mountain View and Ocean View are less expensive, but still alot of points (6,425 and 7,625 points respectively).

A DC point user could reserve one of the less expensive views 12 months out, committing 6,425 points for a Mountain View (and still request one of those "Ocean View" rooms that we've talked about before in other threads -- 9 of the 20 MV rooms in Lahaina are OV quality).

Then 14 days out, try for the "Puck Switch" upgrade to the OF for 6,920 points. Half of Napili is OF, and about 1/3 of Lahaina Villas -- so maybe that OF will be available. Fall back is still go and stay in the MV or OV and hope for a great room. Note that I didn't include Island View in this upgrade strategy as I think you still have the chance for an (excellent) ocean view with the MV or OV, not the case with the IV.

Interesting strategy....and now if you use your Penalty Box points for another reservation 14 days in....getting another 20% discount....you just compounded the benefit!

Thanks again for posting!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a question, what are penalty box points?
Mish

Mish,

If a reservation is canceled within 60 days of check-in, then the points are returned to your account, but they are restricted, ie can only be used for a reservation within 60 days of check-in. We are referring to these restricted points as Penalty Box points. For documentation purposes, this term was coined in this very thread, by Puck himself, who is a huge hockey fan.

Go Bolts!!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have a question, what are penalty box points?
Mish

I think Marriott's technical term is "Holding Account".

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon...

I would love to take credit but I plagarized it from a previous regular on these parts... You know the guy with the other website and the ski picture!!!!

I saw the term "penalty box" points and it was just so appropriate!!!!

Off to the Lightning NYE's game via Hurricanes tonight..Thety are just beat up with injuries but have battled for 2 straight. Tonite would be a huge win if they can pull it off!!!

p.s There will be some great stuff for the penalty box points..I am within drivingdistance of Marco, Orlando and Palm Beach shopres!!!! A weekday 4 day getaway will be a piece of cake... Will do it within 14 days to double up the benefit!!!!

Happy new Year to ALL my tug friends!!!1

Go Bolts...

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Puck,

The more I think about it, the more I like this trick.

Take Maui Ocean Club Lahaina/Napili Villas -- 2BR OF is really expensive to reserve for a week (8,650 points). But Mountain View and Ocean View are less expensive, but still alot of points (6,425 and 7,625 points respectively).

A DC point user could reserve one of the less expensive views 12 months out, committing 6,425 points for a Mountain View (and still request one of those "Ocean View" rooms that we've talked about before in other threads (9 of the 20 MV rooms in Lahaina are OV quality).

Then 14 days out, try for the "Puck Switch" upgrade to the OF for 6,920 points. Half of Napili is OF, and about 1/3 of Lahaina Villas -- so maybe that OF will be available. Fall back is still go and stay in the MV or OV and hope for a great room. Note that I didn't include Island View in this upgrade strategy as I think you still have a (chance for an) excellent view with the MV or OV, not always the case with the IV.

Interesting strategy....and now if you use your Penalty Box points for another reservation 14 days in....getting another 20% discount....you just compounded the benefit!

Thanks again for posting!

Best,

Greg
Greg.
how about we call this trick
"dropping the puck"?

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg.
how about we call this trick
"dropping the puck"?

Its a "Puckman Points Power Play"!! (P to the fourth)

Happy New Year to all!!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

Just home from the Bolts 3rd consecutive win. This Stamkos kid is just the real deal. This game had a last season feel to it!!!

Don't forget to watch the NHL Winter Classic Flyers v. rangers 1 pm Monday on NBC. It is the annual outdoor game!!!!

These are always special

Go Bolts Happy New Year....

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Just did a new trick....

I did this last summer at Crystal Shores (referenced in another thread), got 20% of my points back and used it to book another night. Am going to do the same thing (if available) at Kauai Lagoons in March. A great benefit for Premiere and Premiere Plus. The 20% discount is for any reservations made within 7 days of arrival.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

Further good story here on Puck's penalty box points. As TUGgers may know, unfortunately, I've had to cancel my Feb Aruba trip because I can't travel now on the target dates. Happily, another TUGger is able to bring a friend and use that week, so it won't go to waste.

So I've been working to assemble a quick trip to Oahu -- and current reservations are at HHV for two days and now waiting for the subsequent four days to open up at HHV (either with HGVC points or with Open Season, which is their cash rental system).

But if I can't stay at HHV, I'd rather be at Ko Olina than my current backup (hotel). However reserving at Ko Olina with DC points means risking exposing them to the penalty box if my space at HHV opens up (and I really like HHV -- great proximity to shopping/restaurants when it's just my wife and me).

Here's where Puck's penalty box points come into play (Thanks Puck!). Puck is going to use his penalty box points to book the backup reservation for me at Ko Olina. If my HHV reservation comes thru, we cancel Puck's reservation (must be more than 14 days from check-in) and the points would go back into Puck's penalty box (and Puck has my gratitude).

If my HHV reservation doesn't come thru, I'll stay at Ko Olina on the backup reservation and I'll transfer fresh clean unrestricted points to Puck in repayment of his loaned penalty box points (and he still has my gratitude!). And I didn't have to expose making my points into restricted points just for a backup reservation.

You have to love the TUG community .... thanks Puck!

BTW, I contacted Marriott customer advocacy and requested that they consider a less restrictive treatment of DC points if the reservation is booked so close to check-in. Other systems are more forgiving if a reservation is made within 60 days of check-in and then canceled more than 14 days out....this is a real disincentive to me to book a reservation within 60 days unless I'm 100% sure I can do it.

All the best,

Greg

Last edited:

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Further good story here on Puck's penalty box points. As TUGgers may know, unfortunately, I've had to cancel my Feb Aruba trip because I can't travel now on the target dates. Happily, another TUGger is able to bring a friend and use that week, so it won't go to waste.

So I've been working to assemble a quick trip to Oahu -- and current reservations are at HHV for two days and now waiting for the subsequent four days to open up at HHV (either with HGVC points or with Open Season, which is their cash rental system).

But if I can't stay at HHV, I'd rather be at Ko Olina than my current backup (hotel). However reserving at Ko Olina with DC points means risking exposing them to the penalty box if my space at HHV opens up (and I really like HHV -- great proximity to shopping/restaurants when it's just my wife and me).

Here's where Puck's penalty box points come into play (Thanks Puck!). Puck is going to use his penalty box points to book the backup reservation for me at Ko Olina. If my HHV reservation comes thru, we cancel Puck's reservation (must be more than 14 days from check-in) and the points would go back into Puck's penalty box (and Puck has my gratitude).

If my HHV reservation doesn't come thru, I'll stay at Ko Olina on the backup reservation and I'll transfer fresh clean unrestricted points to Puck in repayment of his loaned penalty box points (and he still has my gratitude!). And I didn't have to expose making my points into restricted points just for a backup reservation.

You have to love the TUG community .... thanks Puck!

BTW, I contacted Marriott customer advocacy and requested that they consider a less restrictive treatment of DC points if the reservation is booked so close to check-in. Other systems are more forgiving if a reservation is made within 60 days of check-in and then canceled more than 14 days out....this is a real disincentive to me to book a reservation within 60 days unless I'm 100% sure I can do it.

All the best,

Greg

This is clever. :D

I like this plan. ;)

It's a win for both Puckman and you.

I wonder if there's a way to in some way 'institutionalize' this idea on your points exchange website.