• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Shuttle from St Thomas to WSJ

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I understand that if one takes the Westin shuttle (ferry) to St John (currently $110 round trip), it entitles him/her to unlimited free transport back to St Thomas for shopping. I seem to recall, though, that such shopping trips are one-way only. Has anyone here tried that trip? Just how did it work?

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No ... it's round-trip but you have to pay a taxi a few $ to get back to the St Thomas dock:

-- Free ferry from WSJ to St Thomas
-- Free taxi to Charlotte Amalie
-- Pay for your own taxi back to the Westin Dock in St Thomas ($5 pp ???)
-- Free ferry from St Thomas back to WSJ

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Thanks. That info helps decode this less informative statement by WSJ:

"Also includes all luggage handling and unlimited shopping trips to St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie one way only) to explore and shop for you and your loved ones."

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it

Frankly, unless you arrive in STT late or depart early, I wouldn't pay $110 per person for the Westin Breeze. We go every year and my preferred order is:

1. Rent a car on STT and take the car ferry
2. Take the public passenger ferry
3. Take the Westin Breeze

If you take a public ferry and want to go back to shop, I the passenger ferry is $6 to Red Hook and $12 to Charlotte Amalie.

My only caveat is the late arrival / early departure scenario, where the Westin will put on a private water taxi for you if needed. One year we had something like an 8 AM flight from STT to San Juan and they arranged a private water taxi and a driver to take to the airport on STT.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ferry

Well.....If you take the Westin Ferry, you don't have to rent a vehicle for the full time you are on St John. The costs may trade off, especially if you are staying for more than a week so that you can take advantage of weekly rental rates. And I see now that there are companies on St J that are offering 10-20% car rental discounts for some time periods.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
My only caveat is the late arrival / early departure scenario, where the Westin will put on a private water taxi for you if needed. One year we had something like an 8 AM flight from STT to San Juan and they arranged a private water taxi and a driver to take to the airport on STT.

This is very interesting - when we fly back to SoCal from STT, we typically have an 8:30ish AM flight. I'd been assuming I have to stay the night before on STT, this would be a great option for us to be able to get to the airport from WSJ same day - thx for this. Do you remember what this cost as a private water taxi/taxi?

Best,

Greg

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg -- The private taxi part of it is built into the Westin round-trip fare. Once you buy the RT ticket, they'll do what it takes to get you to the airport on time for your return flight. RT price is about $130 these days, I think. You'll take the large Westin ferry with everyone else to the resort, and then a smaller boat back (they don't guarantee you a private ride -- there could be others with an early flight -- but often, there are not enough people to take the big ferry). Make sense? Bottom line -- they'll get you back -- no need to leave a day eary and spend the night on St Thomas.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg -- The private taxi part of it is built into the Westin round-trip fare. Once you buy the RT ticket, they'll do what it takes to get you to the airport on time for your return flight. RT price is about $130 these days, I think. You'll take the large Westin ferry with everyone else to the resort, and then a smaller boat back (they don't guarantee you a private ride -- there could be others with an early flight -- but often, there are not enough people to take the big ferry). Make sense? Bottom line -- they'll get you back -- no need to leave a day eary and spend the night on St Thomas.

That is terrific, thank you for the information. This will suit us very well when the time comes. Thx again,

Greg

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Also, if you have a later flight, and they schedule you on the 1:45 return trip from WSJ to STT, then you don't have to check out of your room until 11:00. Wow - an extra hour!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Six, ... "11:00. Wow - an extra hour!"

Every SVO resort I know of has workout facilities and a locker room.

The SVO resorts worry about your check-out time. The maids need to prepare the rooms for the next guests who, of course, want their room absolutely ready by the time they arrive. The SVO resorts do not care much what time you actually leave the resort. (WSJ is a special case because of the ferry connection.)

What I do when I need a few more hours in the sun is to check-out, leave a change of clothes in a locker and head for the pool. You should try it. You can get far more than one measly hour. ... eom

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The maids need to prepare the rooms for the next guests who, of course, want their room absolutely ready by the time they arrive."

Amen. Nothing worse than traveling all day and your villa isn't ready until after 5.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
What I do when I need a few more hours in the sun is to check-out, leave a change of clothes in a locker and head for the pool. You should try it. You can get far more than one measly hour. ... eom

Did you really think I didn't already know that? I was just glad to hang in the room until 11:00 after being out the night before. The option is there for people with later flights.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
ETA: Sorry, didn't realize I selected the thumbs down and I can't seem to edit it out.

Also, if you have a later flight, and they schedule you on the 1:45 return trip from WSJ to STT, then you don't have to check out of your room until 11:00. Wow - an extra hour!

Good to know. Our flight home departs at 3:50pm, so I'm hoping that they put us on the 12:45 return trip, though that might be cutting it too close with Customs.

FYI, the price is $110 for the ferry. Here is the schedule that was sent to us this past summer:

FERRY DEPARTURE TIMES

WESTIN DOCK-------- CROWN BAY
6:00 AM (Red Hook) ----------
7:00 AM (Red Hook) ----------
9:00 AM-------------10:00 AM
11:00 AM------------ 12:45 AM
1:45 PM*-------------3:00 PM
----------------------5:30 PM*
----------------------7:30 PM (Red Hook)

*1:45 PM last shopping ferry departs Westin
*05:45 PM last shopping ferry returns
*11 AM check out time applies
***All ferry times are subject to change***

All inclusive Roundtrip transfer includes the taxi ride to Crown Bay Marina (St. Thomas docking location) following with the ferry to The Westin St. John Resort and on your departure, the return ferry and the taxi ride to the airport. Also includes all luggage handling and unlimited shopping trips to St. Thomas (Crown Bay Marina Only) to explore and shop for you and your loved ones. Should you decide to travel by public ferry transportation please see the website below regarding pricing and schedules at http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Six, ... "Did you really think I didn't already know that?"

Actually, I had no way of knowing you knew about using the lockers to extend your stay for way more than an hour past check-out time (10 am). Couldn't tell that from your comment - "11 am. Wow - an extra hour!"

Glad you already knew how to get more. Maybe some newbie learned something useful about getting extra sun time at a SVO resort on check-out day. ... eom

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frankly, unless you arrive in STT late or depart early, I wouldn't pay $110 per person for the Westin Breeze. We go every year and my preferred order is:

1. Rent a car on STT and take the car ferry
2. Take the public passenger ferry
3. Take the Westin Breeze

If you take a public ferry and want to go back to shop, I the passenger ferry is $6 to Red Hook and $12 to Charlotte Amalie.

What you say sounds great for a party of 2. But if there are 4 or more of you and you rent on St Thomas, you will likely need a larger vehicle than you need just for driving around St John. Reason: Where do you plan to put the luggage you are bringing with you? The extra $ for the larger vehicle will likely eat up any cost advantage you get from renting on St Thomas... especially if you will be staying for more than a week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We rented a 4Dr Jeep Wrangler XR on STT (from Amalie) that was huge (and less than a year old) - plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage for $550/week that included pick-up and drop-off at STT with all paper work in order and ready to go (with parking fees).

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you say sounds great for a party of 2. But if there are 4 or more of you and you rent on St Thomas, you will likely need a larger vehicle than you need just for driving around St John. Reason: Where do you plan to put the luggage you are bringing with you? The extra $ for the larger vehicle will likely eat up any cost advantage you get from renting on St Thomas... especially if you will be staying for more than a week.

I have to disagree with you. The more people you put into a vehicle, the better the business case gets for renting a car instead of taking the Westin Breeze. We had 5 people in our van, which the all in cost was about the same for the week as the $550 the Westin would have charged. The advantages were many and dramatic:

+ We made our own schedule coming and going, which included stops on STT that we would never had seen without a car

+ We went to all of the gorgeous beaches on the north shore, including Hawksnest, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Maho Bay, and Lienster Bay

+ We went to the market at least a half dozen times to pick up a wanted item, food, or beverages

+ Dozens of trips up and down the hill between our villa and the gym, the front desk, the tennis courts, the resort pool, and our friends' 3BR pool villa. (never waited for a golf cart once)

It is just my opinion and it may not be shared by everyone, but I wouldn't want to be without a car when I am staying in my villa for qualitative reasons alone. The fact that it cost us the same for a week that the Westin would have charged for 5 round trips was just bonus.

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ Shuttle/rental cars/ cabs. Lots of choices

We love St. Thomas and stay at the WSJ annually. The first time I rented a car, and found driving on STT to be too much of a challenge. The locals have a unique way of suddenly stopping for no apparent reason except to say hello to someone on the sidewalk that they have driven by. I learned from locals that everyone from the island knows all the locals and social greetings and customs must be obeyed. The roads are full of pot holes and the island roads are rarely flat but usually winding and up and down. The real killer is not just driving on the left side of the road along the cliff, but I have a great difficulty learning to make a right turn at speed and entering into the left lane instead of my usual habit of turning into the right lane closest to the curb. My lesson learned was not to rent a car every year and not to take the Westin Ferry. My wife gets sea sick on the Westin Ferry, because of the extra hour. Instead, from the airport I take a cab to red hook, take the 20 minute quick public ferry, and a $4 cab to WSJ. A few years ago we did take the Westin Ferry, and had to leave at 6 am to catch an early flight. To our surprise, we board the Ferry at the Westin SJ dock but we taken to Red Hook instead of St. Amelia, and then taken by cab to the airport and this was all done without any explanation. No problem, so now that is how the two of us travel to WSJ. Cabs are everywhere. One of our best experiences was to negotiate a full STT tour by cab for $150 and we really saw and experienced the island. I usually love having a car, and often drive in foreign countries including England and Scotland, but never again in the Virgin Islands. As a guy it was hard to agree with my wife's that I should not rent a car, but after a near death right turn, I parked our rental, and enjoyed our stay going by cab.

Tfleming675

Reaction score
We love St. Thomas and stay at the WSJ annually. The first time I rented a car, and found driving on STT to be too much of a challenge. The locals have a unique way of suddenly stopping for no apparent reason except to say hello to someone on the sidewalk that they have driven by. I learned from locals that everyone from the island knows all the locals and social greetings and customs must be obeyed. The roads are full of pot holes and the island roads are rarely flat but usually winding and up and down. The real killer is not just driving on the left side of the road along the cliff, but I have a great difficulty learning to make a right turn at speed and entering into the left lane instead of my usual habit of turning into the right lane closest to the curb. My lesson learned was not to rent a car every year and not to take the Westin Ferry. My wife gets sea sick on the Westin Ferry, because of the extra hour. Instead, from the airport I take a cab to red hook, take the 20 minute quick public ferry, and a $4 cab to WSJ. A few years ago we did take the Westin Ferry, and had to leave at 6 am to catch an early flight. To our surprise, we board the Ferry at the Westin SJ dock but we taken to Red Hook instead of St. Amelia, and then taken by cab to the airport and this was all done without any explanation. No problem, so now that is how the two of us travel to WSJ. Cabs are everywhere. One of our best experiences was to negotiate a full STT tour by cab for $150 and we really saw and experienced the island. I usually love having a car, and often drive in foreign countries including England and Scotland, but never again in the Virgin Islands. As a guy it was hard to agree with my wife's that I should not rent a car, but after a near death right turn, I parked our rental, and enjoyed our stay going by cab.

Fully agree. This is how we travel to WSJ. Plus if you have dinner in St John and want to have some with dinner cab it. Cabs are all over the place and some what unique anyway. We where just there and the Westin ferry was in dry dock for repairs so they had a temp.

I think the 6 AM Westin Ferry is always to Redhook. This is where they pick up resort staff. Then they have the 9AM shopping trip at 9AM.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
We rented a 4Dr Jeep Wrangler XR on STT (from Amalie) that was huge (and less than a year old) - plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage for $550/week that included pick-up and drop-off at STT with all paper work in order and ready to go (with parking fees).

Is Amalie the name of a rental agency? Or agency in Ch Amalie?

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Well.....If you take the Westin Ferry, you don't have to rent a vehicle for the full time you are on St John. The costs may trade off, especially if you are staying for more than a week so that you can take advantage of weekly rental rates. And I see now that there are companies on St J that are offering 10-20% car rental discounts for some time periods.

What does this mean? You don,t have to rent vehicle? Taxis are provided during week if you want to go to restaurant,grocery store, beaches , etc?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
What does this mean? You don,t have to rent vehicle? Taxis are provided during week if you want to go to restaurant,grocery store, beaches , etc?

Yes, there are plenty of taxis to and from town if you want to go to dinner, grocery store or nearby beaches. If you want to visit distant beaches (e.g. Salt Pond), you can either rent a car for the day (Connor Car rental is on site) or pay for a taxi.

FYI, our rate for a Patriot is $87/day. Not cheap, but it's probably cheaper than paying for 4 to take a taxi back and forth to a place like Salt Pond.

Last edited: