• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina offer accepted. Now what?

darly2004

Reaction score
We just had our offer accepted. Now what should we expect? What should we look for in the contract? What should the closing costs include? Can we pay on credit card (for rewards of course)? How do we make sure that we are not being too naive in this process? Never gone through it before. Thanks!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just had our offer accepted. Now what should we expect? What should we look for in the contract? What should the closing costs include? Can we pay on credit card (for rewards of course)? How do we make sure that we are not being too naive in this process? Never gone through it before. Thanks!

Not to discourage your offer, but I would be very tempted to hold off buying anything at Ko Olina until the upcoming auction. Sixty units will be coming on the market all at once, and it may or may not temporarily (or permanently) depress the resale market.

Who knows, you may be able to get a great bargain there yourself :cheer:

Keep us all posted:clap:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
If you share some details of your purchase, we may be able to offer more advice.

Did you purchase from eBay, Redweek, or other source?
Who is the seller (private party or broker)?
What is the purchase price?
What type of week did you purchase (Annual/EOY, Mountain View/Ocean View, etc)?
When is your first usage?
Has the current owner already reserved a week for next year?
Has the seller specified a closing company, or can you choose your own?

Those are just a few question that come to mind.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything you charge on a Marriott Rewards VISA card will get you at least 1 point per amount charged. However if you purchased privately directly from the seller even if they used a agent to sell iut for them I would think it would be very unlikely that they would accept a credit card for payment. Don't forget all credit card purchases have a associated charge ( a % amt of the purchase) that the seller (or merchant) absorbs. I would doubt that a direct seller would have either the necessary technology to actually process such a transaction or would be willlng to absorb the fee that that VISA USA will charge to process the transaction.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
On the TUG advice page, there are several articles about buying resale.

darly2004

Reaction score
Not to discourage your offer, but I would be very tempted to hold off buying anything at Ko Olina until the upcoming auction. Sixty units will be coming on the market all at once, and it may or may not temporarily (or permanently) depress the resale market.

Who knows, you may be able to get a great bargain there yourself :cheer:

Keep us all posted:clap:

I was thinking about this as well when I saw the thread. Does anyone know how much they will be selling for? Would it be incredibly cheap? I don't really know how we'll get there to bid on the properties anyway. I guess my husband and I just figure that if we are happy with the price, we are ok with it? Hopefully what it will mean for us is that it will pass ROFR.

If you share some details of your purchase, we may be able to offer more advice.

Did you purchase from eBay, Redweek, or other source?
Who is the seller (private party or broker)?
What is the purchase price?
What type of week did you purchase (Annual/EOY, Mountain View/Ocean View, etc)?
When is your first usage?
Has the current owner already reserved a week for next year?
Has the seller specified a closing company, or can you choose your own?

Those are just a few question that come to mind.

We are buying an EOY ocean view (even year) from a broker who found a seller for us. Accepted price was $7k. We were turned down at $6k. We are hoping the seller will book something for us for 2012, but I know that they usually get booked a year ahead of time, so we'll see. The broker did give us closing costs of around $800 including the title insurance, but she seems like she is flexible on the closing company. Any suggestions?

Anything you charge on a Marriott Rewards VISA card will get you at least 1 point per amount charged. However if you purchased privately directly from the seller even if they used a agent to sell iut for them I would think it would be very unlikely that they would accept a credit card for payment. Don't forget all credit card purchases have a associated charge ( a % amt of the purchase) that the seller (or merchant) absorbs. I would doubt that a direct seller would have either the necessary technology to actually process such a transaction or would be willlng to absorb the fee that that VISA USA will charge to process the transaction.

I didn't think about the fees associated with card usage. I know I've read somewhere else that people have paid using a credit card before. I hope she'll let us. I just feel weird sending a check to someone I don't know and the rewards will be nice.

darly2004

Reaction score
On the TUG advice page, there are several articles about buying resale.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

ETA: Ok, I must be completely blind. Where is it at?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks, I'll check them out!

ETA: Ok, I must be completely blind. Where is it at?

The link is in th red bar at the top of the page.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I was thinking about this as well when I saw the thread. Does anyone know how much they will be selling for? Would it be incredibly cheap? I don't really know how we'll get there to bid on the properties anyway. I guess my husband and I just figure that if we are happy with the price, we are ok with it? Hopefully what it will mean for us is that it will pass ROFR.
Unless you are able to fly to Hawaii to attend in-person, you probably don't need to spend much time worrying about the upcoming foreclosure auctions.

We are buying an EOY ocean view (even year) from a broker who found a seller for us. Accepted price was $7k. We were turned down at $6k.
You got a good price for that type of unit.

We are hoping the seller will book something for us for 2012, but I know that they usually get booked a year ahead of time, so we'll see.
I'd recommend giving the seller a choice of preferred dates and ask him to book something immediately.

The broker did give us closing costs of around $800 including the title insurance, but she seems like she is flexible on the closing company. Any suggestions?
I have had very good results with Resort Closings http://resortclosings.com and Timeshare Resale Closing Service http://trcsinc.com
Other tuggers can offer some good recommendations as well.

I didn't think about the fees associated with card usage. I know I've read somewhere else that people have paid using a credit card before. I hope she'll let us. I just feel weird sending a check to someone I don't know and the rewards will be nice.
Your choice of closing company will determine what payment options are available to you. By choosing a reputable closing company, you can feel more confident in sending off a check. Your payments should be made to the closing company who will provide an escrow service for the transaction. Do not make payments directly to the seller or broker.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You definitely should be using a reputable timeshare closing company.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Kelli Robinson does a good job with closings too.

bradsprague

Reaction score
Do you know when the auction is?
I am a first time TS buyer and would like to buy a Ko Olina 2BR lockoff ocean view.

Thanks

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Do you know when the auction is?
I am a first time TS buyer and would like to buy a Ko Olina 2BR lockoff ocean view.

Thanks

Here's the thread about the upcoming auctions in Hawaii, KoOlina Beach Club Foreclosures; check out post #15 in that thread for details of the dates, times and places of the auctions.

darly2004

Reaction score
Ko Olina owners, please hep!

So, we are close to signing our contract. I probably should have asked this before buying. Are there any fees associated with using the resort other than maintenance fees? Any taxes you need to pay to stay there (I think Aulani has one)?

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Are there any fees associated with using the resort other than maintenance fees? Any taxes you need to pay to stay there (I think Aulani has one)?
Good question.

This can vary by resort, but at Marriott Ko Olina the property taxes are included as a line item when the annual maintenance fees are billed. At other resorts, you may find that the property taxes get billed separately.

To my knowledge, there is not a separate room tax or occupancy tax when staying at Marriott Ko Olina as an owner.