• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avoiding point loss at end of "year"

Maswans

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are Wyndham VIP Gold members (not Club Wyndham Access members...although the pressure is being put on us to "join"). I'm trying not to loose a few points with Wyndham at the end of my year (4000 points & year end of Dec. 31)...any brilliant ideas? Any and all would be greatly appreciated!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It dosent matter that you are club wyndham access or club wyndham select or a presidential reserve member...all are part of Club Wyndham Plus and it dosent matter that you are VIP or not......You have points that will expire at the end of the year If you dont use them you will lose them

My suggestion is to find a resort that you want to visit by the end of the year and make a reservation....either take the points you have and borrow the rest from next year, or rent the rest of the points you will need.

A second option would be to put next years points into the points credit pool, You still need to make a reservation for something between now and the end of your use year, but the rest of the points required for your reservation will come from the points credit pool...and you wont face this same problem next year...points in the points credit pool are good for 3 years

zone7a

Reaction score
Ron,

Suppose I have 50,000 points which expire at the end of December (not in the points credit pool), and, hypothetically, book a 7 day, 77,000 point reservation which begins on December 30 or 31 and extends into the first few days of January,2012. Will the system allow all 50,000 of the 2011 points to be used and then take the remaining points from 2012?

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Move them into RCI for NO charge and get two extra years out of them. You can combine them at a later time with more points to obtain an RCI exchange (which you will have reservation fees which must be paid).

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Ron,

Suppose I have 50,000 points which expire at the end of December (not in the points credit pool), and, hypothetically, book a 7 day, 77,000 point reservation which begins on December 30 or 31 and extends into the first few days of January,2012. Will the system allow all 50,000 of the 2011 points to be used and then take the remaining points from 2012?

Yes Wyndham goes my checkin date.

zone7a

Reaction score
Thanks, Sandy. I assumed that I would lose a portion of the remaining points, but I believe your second post indicates that I would not lose a portion of the 50,000 points.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
We are Wyndham VIP Gold members (not Club Wyndham Access members...although the pressure is being put on us to "join"). I'm trying not to loose a few points with Wyndham at the end of my year (4000 points & year end of Dec. 31)...any brilliant ideas? Any and all would be greatly appreciated!

4000 points won't get you much. It's gonna cost more to try and save them.
I'd let them expire. :shrug:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best advice is to credit pool. If you want to stay someone look for a place you want to go and borrow the extra points from 2012.

dr_adventure

Reaction score
Cancel Points

I don't know if this works only if you have multiple contracts with different years (I know it works under this situation)- but you can try this.

Book a one night stay in a room that is close to points you have - you can borrow a few points from next year.

Then cancel the reservations - the points should all go into next years cancel pool.

Theoretically you can roll over points indefinitely with this.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this works only if you have multiple contracts with different years (I know it works under this situation)- but you can try this.

Book a one night stay in a room that is close to points you have - you can borrow a few points from next year.

Then cancel the reservations - the points should all go into next years cancel pool.

Theoretically you can roll over points indefinitely with this.

This scenario as described won't work unless you have multiple use years. Barring multiple use years (different start/end dates), cancelled points are returned to the use year of the cancelled reservation. When you borrow points from a future year, they cease to belong to that year and get pulled into the year they are being borrowed for.

You CAN borrow in order to travel, but unless you have multiple use years, you cannot borrow and cancel to extend the life of your points.

Something you can do, if you wish, is combine them with points from a later use year for deposit to RCI. The minimum deposit increment is 27k so you could, for example, make a deposit of 4k from 2011 coupled with at least 23k from 2012. Whether it makes any sense to do this for 4k depends on how inclined you are to exchange through RCI and whether you have any reservation transactions available or would have to pay for an additional transaction credit.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

I agree with Bnoble -- $25 value on points is not worth worrying about. Less than 1% of the point total you own. ;)

Now you can start learning HOW TO use your points for the best outcome of the money you have spent (sunk cost) and the thousands of dollars YOU WILL spend in the future years (MFs). Then you won't be temptive to buy more points from Wyndham (hence buying into Club Wyndham Access, for example).

Keep reading and asking questions.:wave:

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems we never travel through the year and have 371k points at years end. Normally we roll them into the RCI exchange bank to use later.

This is catching up to us... in 2012 we have 9 deposits to use. We still have 371k points unused from 2011. This goes on and on. Having timeshares and being unfit health wise just gets expensive.

Does putting points into the VISA card make any value sense?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
It seems we never travel through the year and have 371k points at years end. Normally we roll them into the RCI exchange bank to use later.

This is catching up to us... in 2012 we have 9 deposits to use. We still have 371k points unused from 2011. This goes on and on. Having timeshares and being unfit health wise just gets expensive.

Does putting points into the VISA card make any value sense?

I do not think so. You may want to start credit pooling the points instead. Also, you may want to consider having someone manage the account for you for a percent of the rental income they generate. I think I have seen that some folks do this.