• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Frenchman's REEF, St. Thomas:

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Frenchman's REEF, St. Thomas just completed a $45 million renovation. This is the HOTEL not the timeshare.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any photos?

?

tia

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear this. THe last time I was there the entire place was badly in need of a re-do.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a couple of pictures on tripadvisor. One of the restaurant and one of the infinity pool(looks like a real one,not like the coves). Hmm, maybe that's Havana Blue...I think it is. We'll theres a picture of an infinity pool.

Last edited:

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at the Cove right now, but took a peek last week at the Reef. From what I could see, the lobby was unchanged but the outside pool area had been redone. The upper level has the same layout as before with new tiles, but the pool was changed a lot. Gone is the swim-up bar:annoyed:

I also noticed that the rooms on the Cove side have, at least, an all new exterior - not sure of the inside. The passage way from the Cove to the Reef is blocked off "due to construction" so I have not gone over there much on this trip. Yesterday we did get a voice message that there was a coolin problem at the Reef that was affecting some of their restaurants, but should be fixed by the weekend (island time).

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at the Cove right now, but took a peek last week at the Reef. From what I could see, the lobby was unchanged but the outside pool area had been redone. The upper level has the same layout as before with new tiles, but the pool was changed a lot. Gone is the swim-up bar:annoyed:

I also noticed that the rooms on the Cove side have, at least, an all new exterior - not sure of the inside. The passage way from the Cove to the Reef is blocked off "due to construction" so I have not gone over there much on this trip. Yesterday we did get a voice message that there was a coolin problem at the Reef that was affecting some of their restaurants, but should be fixed by the weekend (island time).

Enjoy your stay!

They also said they have put a lot into the new spa.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
I also noticed that the rooms on the Cove side have, at least, an all new exterior - not sure of the inside. The passage way from the Cove to the Reef is blocked off "due to construction" so I have not gone over there much on this trip.

Hope the passageway from the TS to hotel is updated. It was really a dismal ,dank, bleak area and kind of scary

Think there would be a lot more use of the hotel restaurant, etc if the path is nicer

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also noticed that the rooms on the Cove side have, at least, an all new exterior - not sure of the inside. The passage way from the Cove to the Reef is blocked off "due to construction" so I have not gone over there much on this trip.

Hope the passageway from the TS to hotel is updated. It was really a dismal ,dank, bleak area and kind of scary

Think there would be a lot more use of the hotel restaurant, etc if the path is nicer

Yes, it goes through the underbelly of the Reef resort where they de-salinate the water and discharge the grey water. Not a nice path!

I think they're struggling with the Cove being able to go to the Reef/Morningstar but the Reef/Morningstar NOT being able to go to the Cove.

Their strategy seems to be the shuttles, so I suspect there will end up being no walking path over there.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Further update

I found out later yesterday that the Reef really had a major AC failure that affected not only the restaurants but also many of the refurbished rooms. Apparently they put in the new chiller unit just a few days before it was scheduled to reopen and have now found some major issues with the overall design. One local's opinion was that they planned for a 5 month project to be completed in 5 months, but did not take into account "island time" which is why the chiller was put in so late. While they are saying all should be fixed by this weekend, smart money is saying not... Note - the Cove is working just fine.

Another note on the path between the Cove and the Reef - on the Cove it is a nice little path that they have spruced up. On the Reef side, they did open the gate yesterday afternoon (maybe to give the Reefers a place to go to eat?). With regards to the previous poster, I have never seen the water treatment area in my past transits on the route. Sounds like you may have just stayed on the bottom floor instead of walking up the first or second set of stairs to the next levels from which the walk goes to the main hotel building. But then again, there were no directions telling you to do so.

Chuck

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out later yesterday that the Reef really had a major AC failure that affected not only the restaurants but also many of the refurbished rooms. Apparently they put in the new chiller unit just a few days before it was scheduled to reopen and have now found some major issues with the overall design. One local's opinion was that they planned for a 5 month project to be completed in 5 months, but did not take into account "island time" which is why the chiller was put in so late. While they are saying all should be fixed by this weekend, smart money is saying not... Note - the Cove is working just fine.

Another note on the path between the Cove and the Reef - on the Cove it is a nice little path that they have spruced up. On the Reef side, they did open the gate yesterday afternoon (maybe to give the Reefers a place to go to eat?). With regards to the previous poster, I have never seen the water treatment area in my past transits on the route. Sounds like you may have just stayed on the bottom floor instead of walking up the first or second set of stairs to the next levels from which the walk goes to the main hotel building. But then again, there were no directions telling you to do so.

Chuck

Yes, going from the old pier up and across to the Cove you see all that stuff. The other way you walk along the fronts of all the Reef rooms and end up at the Reef lobby.

A tunnel from the Cove to Morningstar would be awesome!:rofl:

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
More info

We walked over thru the now opened entrance today and did a more extensive tour. The pool area has been completely redone with three pools now - one on the lower level by the new spa (which was open), the main pool at the same level as the old one that had the bar, and a new one half a level up on the south side, with a swim-up bar:cheer: I did not see that on my sneek peek earlier. The new pool is basically taken from what was probably part of the wedding area which has also been redone and much better IMO. All in all the pool areas are very, very nice with new chaises and a kid's splash area.

We also walked down to Morningstar Beach on the walkway that was closed last year. There is also a lot more sand on Morningstar now, even back to where the tennis courts are. Last year the waves were hitting Coco Joe's steps, but this year they probably have 30 feet at least.

Still no AC in the main building.

On another note, we did the sales presentation at the last minute, mainly because the gift was (as an option) a 3 course meal for 2 at Mim's, with 3 different options for each course. That's booked for tonight!

Chuck

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!

Did they get rid of the horrendous helicopter pad that was deteriorating? That whole area past the waterfall towards the ocean was really getting bad.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, the pad appears to be gone. They have a small utility building down there now with piping in an out - not sure what it is for...

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!

Did they get rid of the horrendous helicopter pad that was deteriorating? That whole area past the waterfall towards the ocean was really getting bad.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I liked that pad. When I first went there in the early nineties I was walking back to the hotel and there was a brand new Bell 206L sitting on it. They used it for tour rides that they ran out of the hotel.

As I started to say my bride and I were walking back and I guess I had one or two beers too many and I thought it would be a great idea to take it for a spin. While I would have had no trouble starting or flying it I couldn't figure out how to get past the lock on the door.

Every time we go back we walk past the pad and say "Hey, do you remember that night....". I'm going to miss that pad.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I liked that pad. When I first went there in the early nineties I was walking back to the hotel and there was a brand new Bell 206L sitting on it. They used it for tour rides that they ran out of the hotel.

As I started to say my bride and I were walking back and I guess I had one or two beers too many and I thought it would be a great idea to take it for a spin. While I would have had no trouble starting or flying it I couldn't figure out how to get past the lock on the door.

Every time we go back we walk past the pad and say "Hey, do you remember that night....". I'm going to miss that pad.

Good story!

The 'waterfall' is actually how they disperse the grey water into the ocean. There was a problem with water quality last year, so I guess the pumping station is to take it out further...islands...