• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV-N&S Emergency Assessment [Retroactive Taxes]

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received invoice by mail

Has anyone received their bill in the mail? :shrug:

I received my invoice by mail this morning. It was postmarked on August 3rd from Fort Lauderdale. The invoice states a due date of August 31st - not quite 30 days from the mailing date.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Date change?

The statements were posted online with a date of Jul 15 with a due date of Aug 15

Looks like there are updated statements online with a date of Jul 31 and a due date of Aug 31. The letter attached to these still references a due date of Aug 15, but the rest looks the same.

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived today also. Billing date of July 31 (postmark date of August 3), due date of August 31.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Mine arrived in California yesterday, 8/8. I haven't opened them yet :(.

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm: If I pay all (4) of these on line using the Starwood AmEx, I will get double points, right? I have read this thread but with all the changes I wasn't sure. TIA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to confirm: If I pay all (4) of these on line using the Starwood AmEx, I will get double points, right? I have read this thread but with all the changes I wasn't sure. TIA

Yes, you will.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
bah, it didnt last night when i looked at it...how annoying.

basically it mentioned some sort of collection of Timeshare owners that have formed a PAC were throwing their support (money) behind a gentleman by the name of Keith Regan who is running for a city council spot.

one can assume that Mr. Regan is not in favor of the new tax law?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's just a one paragraph story - no additional Info.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
bah, it didnt last night when i looked at it...how annoying.

Another poster showed me how to bypass this. Google "Maui News Keith Regan" and it'll link you to the article without the annoying pop-up block.

I also found that clearing cookies or using a private browsing session allows me to read an article or two before it blocks me.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Just got this email: (still no paper bill here, and my account shows paid in full, nothing due)

August 11, 2016

Dear Valued Owner,

This is to inform you that the correct due date for the Special Assessment Bill for the Maui County real property taxes is August 31, 2016.

The cover letter you received with the statement indicated a due date of August 15, 2016; however, there was an unforeseen delay in the billing and mailing of the statements and the actual due date was extended to August 31, 2016.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Once again, the Special Assessment Bill is due on August 31, 2016.

Kind regards,

Vistana Management, Inc.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to see the full story with this link:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...per-PAC-drops--43K-on-Keith-Regan.html?nav=10

The PAC is the One Ohana Pac, and here is a little info. about them, from a different article:

“Our homeowners want to express to the entire Maui County community that we’re with them 100%.,” said Grant Gillham, the executive director of the One Ohana PAC, the Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas Homeowners’ political organization. “Our commitment to the Maui is strong and growing stronger as our organization continues to expand. We want to do more to help make Maui great.”

The Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas Homeowners Association is made up of over 25,000 timeshare owners from all over the country. The resort employs hundreds of Maui residents.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the article:

Local time-share super PAC drops $43K on Keith Regan
Campaign finance reports show which candidates in Maui County garnered the most favor from super PACs

A super PAC of Maui time-share owners has spent more than $43,000 to support Keith Regan, who is running for one of the two open Maui County Council seats, according to campaign spending reports filed last week.

The One Ohana PAC reported spending the money on radio and online ads and on media consulting services in the past seven months in support of Regan, Maui County's managing director. He is running for the Wailuku, Waihee and Waikapu council residency seat, being vacated by Mike Victorino because of term limits.

By law, super PACs can have no connection to candidates, who have no control over super PAC doings. Candidates do not directly receive funding from super PACs.

In the primary election Saturday, Regan faces former Maui County Council Member Dain Kane; former firefighter and police officer Joe Blackburn; community activist Alika Atay and Maui County Recycling Coordinator Hana Steel.

Other super PACs supporting Maui County candidates are S.A.F.E or Sustainable Action Fund for the Environment and Hawaii Center for Food Safety Action Fund, according to the state Campaign Spending Commission website.

The super PACs had a Wednesday deadline to file their spending reports for Jan. 1 to July 29 with the commission.

In 2014, One Ohana PAC, known then as Maui Timeshare Ohana, spent at least $74,000 in endorsing first-time political candidate Ka'ala Buenconsejo, who was running against incumbent Council Member Elle Cochran. Buenconsejo currently is the director of the county Department of Parks and Recreation and lost his run to Cochran for the West Maui residency seat.

The PAC also spent money to support victorious Council Member Mike White and Joe Pontanilla, who lost to incumbent Don Guzman for the Kahului residency council seat, in that election.

Time-share owners and their representatives have long sought tax relief from the county, saying they contribute millions per year to the county and are part-time Maui residents, similar to condominium owners. However, they pay more than five times the homeowner property tax rate.

One Ohana PAC also is supporting Yuki Lei Sugimura, who is seeking the open Pukalani, Kula, Ulupalakua council residency seat being vacated by Gladys Baisa due to term limits.

One Ohana spent $6,600 on radio and online advertising and on voice-over and consulting fees for both Regan's and Sugimura's campaigns in July. The July expenditures for both candidates were listed together and not separately.

In Saturday's primary, Sugimura, an event planner and small business owner, faces kumu hula and community leader Napua Greig-Nakasone, Women Helping Women Executive Director Stacey Moniz and Maui Arts & Cultural Center Events Manager Eric Molina.

The top two candidates will advance to the general election in November.

Another PAC, S.A.F.E., spent $19,000 on a mailer and postage for Maui County Council, Maui County state House candidates and three Office of Hawaiian Affairs Trustees candidates. Mark Sheehan, a Maui community activist, is listed as the chairman for the committee.

S.A.F.E.'s website says the super PAC "fosters a spirited 'right to environmental and community health' platform that directly addresses health, land and legal implications in the state of Hawaii - which has no laws or regulations on genetically engineered crops and growing practices.

"Its mission is to empower a growing base of well-informed citizens and legislators to change the way we utilize our natural resources."

S.A.F.E. noted that it is a sister organization to the SHAKA Movement. SHAKA, which stands for Sustainable Hawaiian Agriculture for the Keiki and the Aina, led Maui's first successful voter initiative in 2014. The initiative, which garnered a slight majority of voters, called for a moratorium on farming of genetically modified organisms. It was struck down in June 2015 by a U.S. district judge and is currently before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Atay was one of the leaders of the SHAKA Movement and was included in the mailer by S.A.F.E. Others endorsed on the mailer and their races follow: Trinette Furtado, Makawao, Haiku and Paia residency council seat; Nakasone; Richard DeLeon and Kelly King, both running for the South Maui council residency seat; Richard Abbett, Democrat, House District 8; Rep. Kaniela Ing, Democrat, House District 11; Tiare Lawrence, Democrat, House District 12; Alex Haller, Democrat, House District 13; Council Member Elle Cochran, West Maui residency seat; Council Member Don Guzman, Kahului residency seat; Shane Sinenci, East Maui council residency seat; Keani Rawlins Fernandez, Molokai council residency seat and Gabe Johnson, Lanai council residency seat.

The super PAC Hawaii Center for Food Safety Action Fund has spent $1,838 on a postcard mailer in support of Lawrence, who is battling Democratic incumbent Kyle Yamashita.

According to its website, the Hawaii Center for Food Safety Action Fund "is committed to protecting human health and the environment in Hawaii from potentially harmful industrial farming practices and by promoting organic and other forms of sustainable agriculture." To accomplish its mission, Hawaii needs to elect "officials who will stand up to biotech and agrochemical companies and support local and sustainable farming practices in Hawaii."

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Last edited by a moderator:

mdt13

Reaction score
New Here and Not Too Happy

I discovered this message board after Googling on Vistana and Maui Lawsuit.

We just bought our timeshare last year for every other year and haven't even used it. Suddenly we've been hit with a retroactive tax from before we even owned. Strikes me as somehow illegal. Certainly unfair.

Talk about buyer's remorse!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

We just bought our timeshare last year for every other year and haven't even used it. Suddenly we've been hit with a retroactive tax from before we even owned. Strikes me as somehow illegal. Certainly unfair.

welcome to TUG, sorry it isnt under better circumstances!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

If you bought it from the developer, I would try to get them to pay for it. Although they're not legally obligated to, your situation is pretty compelling, especially if they hope to ever sell you another timeshare. If you bought it resale, your best bet is to just pay the bill and ease the sting by thinking about how much money you saved by not buying from the developer. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doncha' love how the Council is trying to separate themselves from the decision - as if it has nothing to do with them:

According to county officials, the assessment is only for two timeshare associations and is being done at their attorneys’ request. “The assessments are being done by the Department of Finance, not the council,” county officials said. “No other timeshare units or tax categories are impacted,” the statement read.

Apparently, the Department of Finance has gone rogue! :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
another article from the same source regarding the group fighting the tax increase

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa...VuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNFYyIaAsjm-pak_uJGCR7umN6rGew

More importantly, you can gather from the 6 comments below that article that Mauians do not support the PAC at all. What little sympathy timeshare owners might have enjoyed due to the obvious unfairness of targeting a single group is being overwhelmed by negative opinion about the PAC's tactics.

A perfect example is John Durkin's response:
"Finally, to our candidates remember, time share owners don't vote. But we do."

Yup. So glad I sold my Maui timeshare. Instead of welcoming us, the Council treated us like common thieves. Aloha spirit? Ha!

mdt13

Reaction score
If you bought it from the developer, I would try to get them to pay for it. Although they're not legally obligated to, your situation is pretty compelling, especially if they hope to ever sell you another timeshare. If you bought it resale, your best bet is to just pay the bill and ease the sting by thinking about how much money you saved by not buying from the developer. :)

I bought directly. I'm trying to figure out who to contact and how to negotiate some sort of concession.
Any suggestions are certainly welcome.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought directly. I'm trying to figure out who to contact and how to negotiate some sort of concession.
Any suggestions are certainly welcome.

I'm sorry - but this is not going to happen. You should just pay it.