• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV-N&S Emergency Assessment [Retroactive Taxes]

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got the following e-mail from the HOA:

Ocean Resort Villas Vacation Owners Association
June 24, 2016

Dear Ocean Resort Villas North Owner:

Your Board of Directors would like to update you on a very important matter that our Association is facing. Two weeks ago, the Association received an increased assessment for real property taxes for the years 2006, 2007 and 2008. These taxes had previously been paid by the Association in the respective tax year. In an unprecedented maneuver we believe to be retaliatory to our current lawsuit, the County of Maui reopened the tax rolls for those years, changed the methodology used to assess the units and sent the Association a new tax bill. When the taxes were originally assessed, the units were valued on a land plus construction cost basis. The County is retroactively assessing the units using a market value methodology, increasing the real property taxes by an additional $6,879,537.

The Board of Directors is fully engaged and resolute in defending the rights of the Association. We will pursue all reasonably available legal and administrative remedies. Accordingly, we filed tax appeals with the County of Maui last week and will be filing in Hawaiian Circuit Court in the near future.

Despite our formal notices of appeal, the tax bill is due in full today. If the Association fails to pay the tax, it will be subject to a 10 percent penalty and interest at a rate of one percent per month until paid in full. The Association’s legal counsel has asked the County of Maui for an extension and postponement of the due date of the tax payment, as this liability places an onerous burden on the Association and its Owners. The County of Maui has denied the request, and the Association will pay the taxes under protest to avoid the substantial penalty. The payment of the contested tax assessment will remain in an escrow account which neither the Association nor the County of Maui may access until the appeal is resolved.

There are very few alternatives available to the Association to fund the huge budgetary deficit created by this current tax assessment. The Association is unable to use funds set aside in its replacement reserve account as reserve funds are restricted by law and are to be used only for items within our capital reserve plan. The Association is unable to borrow the funds as its ability to borrow is limited and its line of credit is much less than the tax bill. Unfortunately, the only viable option to pay the tax bill and fund the corresponding large budgetary deficit is to levy an emergency special assessment on all Owners.

The Board has approved an emergency special assessment in the per unit week amount of $389.25 for a One Bedroom, $461.35 for a Two Bedroom Lockoff and $635.71 for a Two Bedroom Lockoff Deluxe. Owners of Biennial or Every-Other-Year interests will be assessed one-half of the amount. Bills for the special assessment will be mailed shortly and will be due thirty (30) days from the date of mailing. Real property taxes are a common expense of the Association and are allocated according to the Declaration. Even though these tax bills are for previous years, it is a new liability that all current Owners share as a common expense regardless of when you purchased your vacation ownership interest. All Owners of record as of June 17, 2016 are responsible for the special assessment.

The Board of Directors is developing supplemental strategies and will update you and provide additional guidance as these events continue to unfold. We appreciate your understanding and support as we continue our legal battle against the County of Maui for fair and equitable tax treatment on behalf of all Owners.

Sincerely,

Ocean Resort Villas Vacation Owners Association Board of Directors

Should be interesting how this all plays out. Maui County sure is resorting to extortionary tactics.

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the maintenance fee go up like this...the resale value will be zero in couple of years!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If the maintenance fee go up like this...the resale value will be zero in couple of years!

This is not the maintenance fee - this is property tax.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm on vacation, but as soon as I get a chance I will find the contact info. for the board of supervisors, for Tuggers who would like to express their opinion on this issue.

Question - this appears to have been levied against the North phase. Are South phase owners being sent a SA Bill as well?

(I'm a south phase owner, and I got the email as well.)

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yet another reason why I would never own a timeshare in Maui. Happy to visit, but will not own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assessment for WKORVN

I believe the letter posted by emuyshondt was for WKORV even though it's addressed to North owners.

Ocean Resort Villas North Vacation Owners Association
June 24, 2016

Your Board of Directors would like to update you on a very important matter that our Association is facing. Two weeks ago, the Association received an increased assessment for real property taxes for 2008. These taxes had previously been paid by the Association in the respective tax year. In an unprecedented maneuver we believe to be retaliatory to our current lawsuit, the County of Maui reopened the tax rolls for that year, changed the methodology used to assess the units and sent the Association a new tax bill. When the taxes were originally assessed, the units were valued on a land plus construction cost basis. The County is retroactively assessing the units using a market value methodology, increasing the real property taxes by an additional $3,849,204.

The Board of Directors is fully engaged and resolute in defending the rights of the Association. We will pursue all reasonably available legal and administrative remedies. Accordingly, we filed tax appeals with the County of Maui last week and will be filing in Hawaiian Circuit Court in the near future.

Despite our formal notices of appeal, the tax bill is due in full today. If the Association fails to pay the tax, it will be subject to a 10 percent penalty and interest at a rate of one percent per month until paid in full. The Association’s legal counsel has asked the County of Maui for an extension and postponement of the due date of the tax payment, as this liability places an onerous burden on the Association and its Owners. The County of Maui has denied the request, and the Association will pay the taxes under protest to avoid the substantial penalty. The payment of the contested tax assessment will remain in an escrow account which neither the Association nor the County of Maui may access until the appeal is resolved.

There are very few alternatives available to the Association to fund the huge budgetary deficit created by this current tax assessment. The Association is unable to use funds set aside in its replacement reserve account as reserve funds are restricted by law and are to be used only for items within our capital reserve plan. The Association is unable to borrow the funds as its ability to borrow is limited and its line of credit is much less than the tax bill. Unfortunately, the only viable option to pay the tax bill and fund the corresponding large budgetary deficit is to levy an emergency special assessment on all Owners.

The Board has approved an emergency special assessment in the per unit week amount of $289.69. Owners of Biennial or Every-Other-Year interests will be assessed one-half of the amount. Bills for the special assessment will be mailed shortly and will be due thirty (30) days from the date of mailing. Real property taxes are a common expense of the Association and are allocated according to the Declaration. Even though this tax bill is for a previous year, it is a new liability that all current Owners share as a common expense regardless of when you purchased your vacation ownership interest. All Owners of record as of June 17, 2016 are responsible for the special assessment.

The Board of Directors is developing supplemental strategies and will update you and provide additional guidance as these events continue to unfold. We appreciate your understanding and support as we continue our legal battle against the County of Maui for fair and equitable tax treatment on behalf of all Owners.

Sincerely,

Ocean Resort Villas North Vacation Owners Association Board of Directors

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the letter posted by emuyshondt was for WKORV even though it's addressed to North owners.

I am an owner of the villas not north and I got the letter. Going to cost me $230 for every other year 2bdrm lock off, not a big deal but sucks. Maui is ridiculous...

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We own at WKORV and also got the letter addressed to North. Does anyone know if it for both properties?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui County Council Members and contact info:

http://mauicounty.us/councilmembers/

Mike White - Council Chair
Email: mike.white@mauicounty.us

Don S. Guzman, Council Vice-Chair
Email: don.guzman@mauicounty.us

Michael P. Victorino - Presiding Officer Pro Tempore
Email: michael.victorino@mauicounty.us

Gladys C. Baisa, Councilmember
Email: gladys.baisa@mauicounty.us

Robert Carroll, Councilmember
Email: robert.carroll@mauicounty.us

Elle Cochran, Council Member
Email: elle.cochran@mauicounty.us

Don Couch, Council Member
Email: don.couch@mauicounty.us

Stacy Crivello, Council Member
Email: stacy.crivello@mauicounty.us

Riki Hokama, Council Member (Chair of the Budget and Finance Committee.)
Email: riki.hokama@mauicounty.us

Kalana O Maui Building
200 South High St.
Eighth Floor
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793

undrpar64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it is for both properties as I received two emails. Although both were addressed to North owners, the taxes are assessed on all three types of properties(1 bdrm., 2 bdrm. and 2 bdrm deluxe). Only the South has all three configurations. Since it wqas addressed to the North I am assuming that property is included.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch!

Sucks to be a WKORV owner today.

Yuck. We own at both...

Is that amount to cover all three years, or is that per year?

Why is this only for those three specific years? What's to stop them from reassessing every year after 2008 using their new formula?

Should we be expecting more SA's to cover the following seven years?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is not the maintenance fee - this is property tax.

Property taxes are paid in our MFs - $636 for a 2 Bd Dlx!
That is 20% increase against current MFs

sadly, looks like this could be our last year owning WKORV

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two separate emails. WKORV is stuck with an additional $6,879,537 tax bill for 2006, 2007, and 2008 revised assessments, and WKORVN has to pay an extra $3,849,204 for 2008.

:bawl: We didn't even own during those years, but still have to pay!!!

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this "assessment" is being applied to other timeshare units being built at the same time.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just sent a scathing email to above - not that they will give a crap.
I suggest everyone else does as well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Property taxes are paid in our MFs

I don't see anything that indicates that our yearly maintenance fee bills will increase - this is a separate special assessment, so it's inaccurate to call this a maintenance fee increase, which would indicate an on-going increase, not a one time SA.

Last edited:

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This raises a conundrum Westin, as the developer, owned a number of timeshares and since the taxes are retroactive to those years it begets question Who pays--current association members or retroactive to the years owners

Current owners. All of our weeks are resale purchases after 2008, but we are getting billed for this special assessment.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I don't see anything that indicates that our yearly maintenance fee bills will increase - this is a separate special assessment, so it's inaccurate to call this a maintenance fee increase, which would indicate an on-going increase, not a one time SA.

I follow this is a SA, but it goes to our annual fees no matter how you cut it.
If they are taking care of this tax burden with a SA, then the following MFs will be impacted with new tax rate. Same-Same. The Ad Valorem tax as part of our MF is impacted - this is a fee increase regardless of where or what it is called, OR when it is imposed.

If the tax holds - this will be an ~$200 increase (for OFD) in MF per year in property taxes alone. Why do i feel this way - because it they get away with it once - then they will do it again.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
WKORV Emergency Assessment [Retroactive Taxes]

It appears it's North & South. I got two emails, one labeled for each property. This is a huge hit! I hope they fight this all the way, even though they have our money :/

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV Emergency Assessment [Retroactive Taxes]

David - that is not what the letter says. The letter says the tax increase is retro to 2007, 2008, 2009 - not ongoing.

The op said the resort would have no resale value because the maintenance fee was going up - that is not accurate. The MF is not going up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
This is total BS. A broke local gov't extorting money out of property owners. What if counties around the country did this to homeowners?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David - that is not what the letter says. The letter says the tax increase is retro to 2007, 2008, 2009 - not ongoing.

Check back in 2017/2018... then you can tell me this had no MF impact going forward. If history is indicative - as well as other current issues - these tax increases will not end until people decide not to vacation in Maui.

In the meantime - I have already emailed Maui board - take action - have you?

Personally, I am considering selling my OFD - and foregoing Maui vacations. Unfortunately I have already rented my OFD studio usage for 2017 - so I have a little time for fall-out. I love our OFD villa, but not this much.

blondietink

Reaction score
I'm sorry for all the current owners getting stuck with this new tax bill that is retroactive. However, I do own a home in New York State, and our yearly tax bill is based on the current assessed value of my house. My brother, who lives in California, pays his taxes on the original purchase price of the home which was a new construction. In neither case is the tax bill based on the original land and construction costs. So, I'm not seeing that Maui County is being out of line basing the taxes on assessed value. I do know that Maui County has tried some shady things in the past with property taxes, but this does seem out of line considering they are going back so many years, and up to 10 years ago. Is there a statue of limitations anyone? Also I feel the demand to pay with only a 2 week notice is outrageous.

Note to self: Never buy property, timeshare or otherwise, in Hawaii.