• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping Recommendations for MVC Properties

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
if the room was nice and clean when I arrived
I applaud the sentiment, but kind of feel like if a room I booked at a resort for which my maintenance fees were supposed to cover the housekeeping, a nice and clean room should be expected. That being said, there are locations where I feel that a tip is warranted, but if we are shifting the entire compensation package towards tipping it makes me wonder about instances where I'm charged an extra fee for an exchange (admittedly not in Marriotts so far).

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Prior to Covid we weren't big tippers. So, we'd leave $20 for a week's stay. Post Covid, we're happy that people are in the workforce and helping to keep the place clean. So we tip around $40. We have no children, so we are spending the inheritance of our nieces and nephews. Ha ha.
When someone comes to the room to deliver something we tip zero if it should have been there anyways but tip $2 or $3 for extra items.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
We have never tipped housekeeping at hotels. I don't see the need to.

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have never received a “Staff Gratuity” envelope from any timeshare stays in over thirty (30) years.
We were at Desert Springs last year and this was the first time we had an envelope provided for gratuities. Many hotels do this. Desert Springs was wonderful!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have never tipped housekeeping at hotels. I don't see the need to.
I worked as a maid in Yellowstone one summer. I never expected tips, but it was sure nice when I got them. I routinely tip, both in hotels, and timeshares these days. Most of these folks are working for a pittance. I really appreciate what they do for me.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is more of a European thing, but we mostly give tips when service is above and beyond such as we get in Asia.
The whole concept of resorts providing envelopes for gratuities and worse a list of suggested gratuities is just alien to us.

Jandk2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista Orlando
Beachplace Towers Ft. Lauderdale
I can certainly tell who in this thread have worked in a tipped job and those who have not. If you are spending thousands of dollars on your vacation a couple of extra dollars to the person cleaning your toilet and scrubbing your tub/shower is not going to break you. Everyone lives their lives the way they want but you have no idea what it means to a tipped employee to make a couple extra bucks on any given day.

I'm grateful my husband and I have greatly improved our jobs and financial situation over the last couple of decades but I will never forget what it was like when we had those jobs that tipping made up a lot of our earnings. To each their own.🤷‍♀️

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I can certainly tell who in this thread have worked in a tipped job and those who have not. If you are spending thousands of dollars on your vacation a couple of extra dollars to the person cleaning your toilet and scrubbing your tub/shower is not going to break you. Everyone lives their lives the way they want but you have no idea what it means to a tipped employee to make a couple extra bucks on any given day.

I'm grateful my husband and I have greatly improved our jobs and financial situation over the last couple of decades but I will never forget what it was like when we had those jobs that tipping made up a lot of our earnings. To each their own.🤷‍♀️
I think the difference lies is what is a tipped job, and what is not. Technically, I don't believe those that clean the rooms are treated as tipped positions, from a legal compensation perspective, at most places. Not saying you should not continue to tip them, just offering why there are differing views.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think the difference lies is what is a tipped job, and what is not. Technically, I don't believe those that clean the rooms are treated as tipped positions, from a legal compensation perspective, at most places. Not saying you should not continue to tip them, just offering why there are differing views.
I don't even know what are considered "tipped" jobs and which aren't. I know in some areas restaurant servers are making way more than minimum wage, yet they are still tipped. While the housekeepers, bellmen and others are making far less.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Most likely correct. This "tipped job" BS started when legislators created laws that allow employers to not pay their employees what they should and instead "hope" that customers pay the wages. Yes, there are usually minimums to be paid, and many restaurant staff can make a tidy hourly sum.

I just find it wholly improper that employers pass off paying employees to the whim of the public. It is a stupid system.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Most likely correct. This "tipped job" BS started when legislators created laws that allow employers to not pay their employees what they should and instead "hope" that customers pay the wages. Yes, there are usually minimums to be paid, and many restaurant staff can make a tidy hourly sum.

I just find it wholly improper that employers pass off paying employees to the whim of the public. It is a stupid system.
Agreed....that's exactly why hotel chains, even Marriott for a while a few years back, put envelopes in the rooms to encourage tipping. It allows them to keep compensation lower than what it would naturally be if those folks did not get a certain amount of tips. The more the big chains can drive guests to tip, the less they have to pay in compensation.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO absolutely idiotic and inappropriate. Still I am not going to punish the employee thus I'll tip generously for anyone who deserves so and is truly in a tipped position. That said, I find that some tip just because they feel guilty about the successes they've had though they will rarely admit it.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is, housekeeping staff at these resorts run by large hospitality corporations are usually making far above the minimum wage. Just looking at the MVW jobs page for housekeeping positions, at some of the Marriott/Westin timeshare locations the STARTING pay is over $20/hr. Keep in mind that these are typically union positions with a contractual wage scale that increases, sometimes dramatically, the longer one is there. These are not people struggling along on the allowed tipped wage level or even the federal minimum for non-tipped positions.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The thing is, housekeeping staff at these resorts run by large hospitality corporations are usually making far above the minimum wage. Just looking at the MVW jobs page for housekeeping positions, at some of the Marriott/Westin timeshare locations the STARTING pay is over $20/hr. Keep in mind that these are typically union positions with a contractual wage scale that increases, sometimes dramatically, the longer one is there. These are not people struggling along on the allowed tipped wage level or even the federal minimum for non-tipped positions.
Since I have no idea which housekeeping staffs may be paid more, I tip them all.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
L
Since I have no idea which housekeeping staffs may be paid more, I tip them all.
Like I said, large hospitality companies (Marriott/Hilton, etc) are pretty much all unionized and highly paid, especially at properties within the US. I have zero guilt about not tipping someone making more than $20/hr. International locations are a different story. Within the US, minimum wage type pay is more likely at independent properties, and I rarely if ever stay at those.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
L

Like I said, large hospitality companies (Marriott/Hilton, etc) are pretty much all unionized and highly paid, especially at properties within the US. I have zero guilt about not tipping someone making more than $20/hr. International locations are a different story. Within the US, minimum wage type pay is more likely at independent properties, and I rarely if ever stay at those.
So, to take it one step further. If you knew of a restaurant worker who was making $20/hour or more, would you not tip them as well?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, to take it one step further. If you knew of a restaurant worker who was making $20/hour or more, would you not tip them as well?
If I was reasonably sure their base pay was that high, probably not unless the service was above and beyond. Because that's the origin of tipping, right? To acknowledge exemplary service? It's only in more modern times that it came to be a supplement to poor wages. Remove the poor wages part, you remove the reason for tipping someone for just doing exactly what they are hired to do.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If I was reasonably sure their base pay was that high, probably not unless the service was above and beyond. Because that's the origin of tipping, right? To acknowledge exemplary service? It's only in more modern times that it came to be a supplement to poor wages. Remove the poor wages part, you remove the reason for tipping someone for just doing exactly what they are hired to do.
I know of one restaurant in town that pays their servers somewhere around $20 to $25/hour. I think they would be very surprised not to receive a tip. Wages have gone up in many places as they are desperate to obtain, and retain, staff. If their staff all of a sudden stopped getting tips I wonder how long they would stay.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I know of one restaurant in town that pays their servers somewhere around $20 to $25/hour. I think they would be very surprised not to receive a tip. Wages have gone up in many places as they are desperate to obtain, and retain, staff. If their staff all of a sudden stopped getting tips I wonder how long they would stay.
Servers in the US are generally know & accepted to be tipped positions. I believe the average in the US of those leaving hotel cleaning staff tips is around 30%. I would guess for restaurant servers, that is in the high 90’s%. The difference is if one considers the job to be a tipped position. Apparently most do not for cleaning staff.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Of course I like to reward excellent service, but I also like the opportunity to show my appreciation for those doing jobs that I would not want to do myself. Servers and housekeepers have to work hard or they won't keep their jobs.. I would not want those jobs. When I was a student, I washed dishes and dug ditches. I'm glad I didn't have to those jobs very long.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, I find that some tip just because they feel guilty about the successes they've had though they will rarely admit it.
For me, it’s not guilt in any way but I do look at my situation vs theirs. Conservatively, I make 5x what they do in an hour. And my job is easier on probably any metric, stress, exhaustion, job security, tense interactions. This is probably true for a lot of us here. The $20 that I tip means a world more to the housekeeper than to me, so I give it. And it helps even the playing field. There is zero feeling of guilt or responsibility, to me I come happy for sharing. Maybe two sides of the same coin.

If I’m offered some karma points at the end of it all, I won’t turn them down.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, it’s not guilt in any way but I do look at my situation vs theirs. Conservatively, I make 5x what they do in an hour. And my job is easier on probably any metric, stress, exhaustion, job security, tense interactions. This is probably true for a lot of us here. The $20 that I tip means a world more to the housekeeper than to me, so I give it. And it helps even the playing field. There is zero feeling of guilt or responsibility, to me I come happy for sharing. Maybe two sides of the same coin.

If I’m offered some karma points at the end of it all, I won’t turn them down.
I don't know what they make but in my mind the "I make more than they do so I'm going to share" is exactly this issue IMO, you and others can feel differently but that's my personal opinion. I hate the system but I'm going to adhere to the etiquette standards but that includes tipping those that are in a tipped position and NOT tipping the rest as a routine. Now if someone does something special or there are special circumstances, that can vary. BTW, it's not uncommon for people in a tipped position to make six figures.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
What I’m curious about is when we tip in restaurants, cruise ships etc, who all gets that tip? It seems like it is shared with everyone so how much of it is our server really getting?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I’m curious about is when we tip in restaurants, cruise ships etc, who all gets that tip? It seems like it is shared with everyone so how much of it is our server really getting?
It varies, but even when you tip in cash, if it's a shared setup they are supposed to share. Thus it would not affect any answers IMO. For cruises it's more spelled out though there are some variations from one company to another.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
It's really no ones business how or what we will tip. We'll float along in our ways and try to do the right thing.

However, when cruise companies assess an arbitrary tip, or a resort places an envelope in the room, or a restaurant places a stupid machine on the table, I reserve the right to think harder about whether to tip at all or to minimize the game.

Businesses should pay their employees a competitive and fair wage. Tips are really not the right answer.

Last edited: