• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping Recommendations for MVC Properties

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect your tip goes to the person who grabs it. So that would be the person that cleans the room after you checkout.
Once we stayed at a Springhill suites and left a $10 tip for a 2 night stay. Then we checked out and I remembered I left something behind. I went back to the room, and the supervisor was there already looking over the room, and the tip was gone.

I am skeptical that she gave it to the person who actually cleaned the room. I felt bad about the situation but how can you prevent something like that?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We tip base on the frequency / level / friendliness... of service provided.
We find that in Asia it is typically significantly more than in any other MVC region, even though they quite likely get the lowest relative remuneration there.
So we tip them in line with this service.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've seen tip envelopes in the odd timeshare now and then. I don't recall which ones specifically, but it was usually near the phone along with the notepad.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I've seen tip envelopes in the odd timeshare now and then. I don't recall which ones specifically, but it was usually near the phone along with the notepad.
We had one in the villa at St Kitts a couple weeks ago.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I don't leave a tip, my maintenance fees pay for housekeeping. Does anyone leave a tip for the maintenance staff, security, groundkeepers, front desk or any of the other staff that work to keep the resort running and looking its best? Of course not, selective tipping is nonsense, essentially you're saying that someone's work is more deserving of your financial reward than another's based on little more than your accessibility to them.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't leave a tip, my maintenance fees pay for housekeeping. Does anyone leave a tip for the maintenance staff, security, groundkeepers, front desk or any of the other staff that work to keep the resort running and looking its best? Of course not, selective tipping is nonsense, essentially you're saying that someone's work is more deserving of your financial reward than another's based on little more than your accessibility to them.
We do not leave a tip for any of the above Marriott's staff departments. But if anyone goes beyond their normal job duties. We do include their excellent service in our follow up survey to Marriott management staff.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
What if management pays housekeeping a wage that assumes they'll be getting tips? Should they be penalized by you because they were accessible for tipping? I would be glad if tipping wasn't expected anywhere, except for exceptional service, but that's just what our odd society has accepted as the norm.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What if management pays housekeeping a wage that assumes they'll be getting tips? Should they be penalized by you because they were accessible for tipping? I would be glad if tipping wasn't expected anywhere, except for exceptional service, but that's just what our odd society has accepted as the norm.
Housekeeping shouldn't be getting a tipped wage. That is only reserved for very few professions. Also, if they are getting a lower wage based on receiving tips, that issue is between them and their employer. Not between them and me.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Housekeeping at the Marriott's Manor Club, Williamsburg, VA is by Mastercorp a private timeshare housekeeping company in Williamsburg, Va.

They are not on Marriott's payroll.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Haha, spoken like a true European. Oops, I forgot you are not part of Europe anymore.

Joking aside. I fully support your view. Since moving to America and since covid I find that this tipping thing has become very annoying.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Thailand, they apply a 7% Service Charge to all bills which is shared out at the end of the year amongst all MVC resort employees in all departments.
This is a good incentive to ensure staff retention and rewards everyone who contributes to the excellent running of the resort.
I prefer this method, with any additional tipping to housekeeping, pool service, restaurant…staff a personal choice for exceptional service.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot you are not part of Europe anymore.
There's quite a difference between Europe (~49 countries) and the EU (26 countries).
One is a geographical region, the other is a trading block.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's quite a difference between Europe (~49 countries) and the EU (26 countries).
One is a geographical region, the other is a trading block.

It can all get very complicated and continues to change!​

Europe and the difference between EU, EEA, EFTA, Schengen, ETIAS, and the list of member countries.​

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
We also tip at least $20, with note, more if indicated.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Housekeeping shouldn't be getting a tipped wage. That is only reserved for very few professions. Also, if they are getting a lower wage based on receiving tips, that issue is between them and their employer. Not between them and me.
Philosophically that is my thought as well, though there are locations where tipping housekeeping is the standard and others where it is not and we do adhere to the standards where we are. If one is comparing to hotels in the US, at the last time I investigated it's roughly 50/50 of those that where pay is assuming tips, but I am not aware of any timeshares in the US where timing is part of the formal pay structure. Thus I do not tip as a routine. However, if they do something special above and beyond or we leave a mess, we will often tip. Normally we're trying to make it as easy as possibly by stripping beds, pilling towels near the door (not in the way), emptying trash, running DW and the like.

Last edited:

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Question - If it was determined that most of these workers were union workers, would it impact your view on tipping?. I suspect unions like to overlook any income from tips in their negotiations. Tips could be truly incremental to reasonable compensation.

The Marriott approach where the rooms are cleaned in preparation for the guest and not touched again until prepared for the next guest. This makes this room cleaning like prepping a car for rental.

Interesting thoughts and views here.

Last edited:

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Philosophically that is my thought as well, though there are locations where timing housekeeping is the standard and others where it is not and we do adhere to the standards where we are. If one is comparing to hotels in the US, at the last time I investigated it's roughly 50/50 of those that where pay is assuming tips, but I am not aware of any timeshares in the US where timing is part of the formal pay structure. Thus I do not tip as a routine. However, if they do something special above and beyond or we leave a mess, we will often tip. Normally we're trying to make it as easy as possibly by stripping beds, pilling towels near the door (not in the way), emptying trash, running DW and the like.
..."timing is part of the formal pay structure" -- what is timing housekeeping? Did you mean tipping rather than timing?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
..."timing is part of the formal pay structure" -- what is timing housekeeping? Did you mean tipping rather than timing?
typo combined with autocorrect.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question - If it was determined that most of these workers were union workers, would it impact your view on tipping?. I suspect unions like to overlook any income from tips in their negotiations. Tips could be truly incremental to reasonable compensation.

The Marriott approach where the rooms are cleaned in preparation for the guest and not touched again until prepared for the next guest. This makes this room cleaning like prepping a car for rental.

Interesting thoughts and views here.
Some include daily cleaning but not many, a few include mid week service. Daily tipping might affect my choices but not my philosophy, midweek service would nto.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Unless something's happened whilst I was sleeping the British Isles are still part of Europe.
Yes, yes. I was trying to be too clever meaning to say the EU.

You all got me. But, seriously tipping has gotten out of hand in the USA and it has always been about showing gratitude for good service instead of shoring up poor wages over on your side of the pond.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
20 a week, in nightstand with a thank you note. Always in BR so the boss doesn't just grab it off kitchen counter or some random person after door unlocked. Sometimes we catch the crew in the hall and hand it to them instead. Yeah, they are paid ok by maint fee, but we like them to think guests are not tightwads (an opinion which seems to prevail in Maui government) and happy workers do better work.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
My policy is to tip $10 per bedroom for the week. So $10 for a studio, $20 for a 2BR and $30 for a 3BR. My reservations are weeks reservations, so the person cleaning up after me is most likely the same person cleaning before me, and if the room was nice and clean when I arrived, then it merits a tip IMO.