• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that would make me unhappy with owning a Grupo resort is the relatively short time in advance that owners can reserve their week(s). This was discussed before and as I remember, an owner can reserve 6 months in advance. Correct me if I am wrong. As an exchanger through SFX, I can request a week at any Grupo Mayan resort 18 months in advance.

Great observation!!! We usually make our reservations 11-12 months in advance of checkin.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Thanks Karen Rose,
For taking the time to make a public post offering the apology to Dolly and, again, providing ways to communicate.
In responding to my request for her status based upon all the responses she received, I was disappointed to see that Dolly used the words "threatened and bothered" during your communication process. Even though it is not necessarily an accurate description, one's perception is their reality. However when posted, it remains. Customer Service is a thankless job at best in most cases.
My husband and I are very happy and satisified with Grupo Mayan, starting with a MP and upgrading to the GL. Others have posted the same response. We appreciate the upfront approach which you and the company have taken.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was out all aft., and Phyllis (pittle) and Tropical lady were kind enough to pm the address. Also thanks for your e-mail, Pat. Will let you know if I get a reply from Grand Mayan using the new e-mail address. Thanks to everyone who answered and posted. Elli
Update: Just to let everyone know, the new link worked, Grand Mayan replied, and airport pick-up has been arranged. Thanks again. Elli

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Possible missed message

Thanks for your concern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Tropical Lady,

I am learning more and more about this fascinating subject, and how untrue that old addage [You get what you pay for] is.......!!!!!! Clearly many people get much more for very much less - I suppose it is a bit like an airline, some passengers are paying top dollar, some are on buddy passes, others travel with miles and many just buy thinking that because online the airline says guaranteed lowest price on their web site that is 'gospel truth' - I suppose it happenes in many industries but one would think that the highly regulated travel related players would be more transparant. I am still curious about this thread, would you know the best way to activate it again or could you advise me of any one who may know what happened to the purchasers.

Thanks Dolly.

PS I will give another update when I hear back from the resort.

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Hello again,

Hi everone,

Thanks for all your support, I will give you an update when I hear back from the resort, the moderator told me that this normally takes a little while.
In the meantime I am going to do some homework and check out some of the tips I have been given.

Dolly

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Tropical Lady is in ERROR

Some of your comments do not reflect the way we operate, so we will be more than happy to investigate that further as we take those allegations very seriously.

Tropical Lady, I was under acute duress when the mayan used this tenor, if you re-read my posts and my inital thread It was titled by me saying

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I NEVER made any allegations whatsoever - I do not know what you infer ???

Dolly

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dolly - I think you are mixing posters up - the following statement was posted by Karen Rose from Grupo Mayan, not Tropical lady:

Dear Dolly,

There is a lot of information going on here. I guess I may be able to clarify the specific doubts about your purchase if you contact me directly and provide me your contract details.

There are a lot of benefits when buying from a developer, so, if I can be of any help to you as a representative of the resorts; kindly contact me at: grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com or by telephone at 1-800-292-9446.

Some of your comments do not reflect the way we operate, so we will be more than happy to investigate that further as we take those allegations very seriously.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

Quite frankly, if it were me, I'd accept Karen Rose's help - what do you have to lose? Part of her job is to do damage control on TUG - it is in her best interest to help you find a satisfactory resolution.

As for "allegations" - the word "allegations" means your side of the story - what you said happened, so of course you made allegations - when you say "this happened to me" that's an allegation.

Are you back home now? No response from GM?

Last edited:

dollydaydream

Reaction score
No mix up.........

Dear Denise,

I was writing to Tropical Lady, I do not know how to do the quote thing yet, if you read her post she made reference to my communications with Karen Rose............they never took place, remember I was advised not to contact their offices.

Allegations can be construed as
•The act of alleging.
or
•A statement asserting something without proof.

I am not aware of what I alleged, I found Karen Roses tenor of a threatening nature [which she has now apologised for] for which I am grateful.

That is it.

Dolly

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What you alleged is that you have a very odd friendship with a sales person, including going to church with her. Since none of us can prove whether it's true or not, it is indeed an allegation. Your statement is an allegation, until it's been proven to be true.

This is what Karen Rose said:

This is how I would interpret it: "Some of your story does not agree with the way we usually do business. I'd be happy to look into it, because we are taking your story very seriously."

Frankly - I don't see anything threatening about that at all.

I am not suggesting that you call the office - I'm suggesting that you click on Karen Rose's blue user name and send her an email and ask what she has to offer - that's where I'd start. If you don't like her offer - don't respond.

Please answer this question - are you home in Canada now?

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
. . .
I have recinded my contract but I am concerned about the return of my money . . .
Dolly.

. . .
I am not suggesting that you call the office - I'm suggesting that you click on Karen Rose's blue user name and send her an email and ask what she has to offer - that's where I'd start.
. . .

Why ask what they have to offer? If Dolly already rescinded, then the ball is in GM's court to follow through with the process of canceling the contract and refunding her money.

And Dolly - just click the little Quote button at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. That'll open up a new window with the quoted post and room for you to add a new post. If you want to Quote more than one post, as I did at the top of this one, go to the first post you want to quote and click the "+ button at the right of Quote; nothing will seem to happen, but you can then go to the next post you want to quote and click Quote.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ,

I'm just chuckling because I always wondered how you seamlessly post two quotes in one reply. Thanks for the TUG 101 tip.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ,

I'm just chuckling because I always wondered how you seamlessly post two quotes in one reply. Thanks for the TUG 101 tip.

Even after 1,3010 posts there are things to be learned! It wasn't long ago that I learned how to change the title of a post :eek:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that would make me unhappy with owning a Grupo resort is the relatively short time in advance that owners can reserve their week(s). This was discussed before and as I remember, an owner can reserve 6 months in advance. Correct me if I am wrong.

Great observation!!! We usually make our reservations 11-12 months in advance of checkin.

Depends on the contract. The older Mayan Palace contracts are indeed 6 mos. (but I know of exceptions during the Swine Flu scare), and some upgrades are 8 mos., others are 12. There may be more I'm not aware of.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even after 1,3010 posts there are things to be learned! It wasn't long ago that I learned how to change the title of a post :eek:

Me, too! I remember late one night pestering Tug Brian to quickly change a title for me that could have been misleading. Either he or another mod graciously made the change without asking me where I'd been for 9 years. :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes I am home in Canada

I'm curious - all your previous posts through post #208 have been posted from Mexico - even though you supposedly arrived home on March 1st.

But after I asked you if you were in Canada, you signed off, and then came back about 30 min. later, and for the FIRST TIME, posted from a Canadian Internet Service provider, in post #210.

How'd you get from Mexico to Canada in 30 Min.?

Last edited:

dollydaydream

Reaction score
DeniseM,

I'm too am curious, one thing which could be the explanation is as I mentioned several times I was making my posts from my blackberry, I purchased a SIM card in Mexico which gave me local calling abilities and a Mexican number too. When you were so preoccupied in finding out my exact location [which I still am trying to understand, presumeably you were already knew the mexican server which I was logged on to, so you were trying to trick me into a lie......???????] perhaps TUG should think about what this says about themselves. I then answered you from my desktop PC and have now had my SIM card switched back on my Blackberry.

I have been surprised at the hectoring tone of some of the posts, after the initially supportive comments, and I wanted other opinions. I didn't like these demands about where I am and when I am home and all. It is actually quite unsettling, and personally I was not really happy with starting to give such personal information. My friends here are saying I should be very careful of information I give out about myself over the internet.

Apart from that I want to say this - I asked a simple questions at the start, because I was surprised everything on here seemed so negative, and very soon I was assured by the moderators that I had been scammed and should rescind. To me, making an "allegation" in this context is a complaint, and I just said what I had experienced, I didn't start out to complain or get a refund. I didn't post any sort of complaint. It was my account which led to the allegations by others that I had been scammed.

My first post was about looking for cheerful news. Then I find myself being lectured by the moderators on the meaning of words, being urged to give the resorts a chance, and getting "hunted down" over my whereabouts like I did done something wrong. My friends are saying it's possible that people involved in the group are insiders who are helping the scammers. I really don't know what to believe now.

I don't like the inference that it's 50/50 I am a liar. Surely it goes without saying that readers can't generally verify the contents of posts. I don't want to term my account "unproven allegations" - I know that they are true. I started out feeling really welcomed and supported here , but now I am wondering who to trust. When you are monitoring my whereabouts, it really feels like I am being mistrusted.

I am grafeful for the time spent by various people giving me information, but I did not expect a forum to be so intense like this. I guess it's another learning curve for me, but I want to try to concentrate on other stuff for a while. I am truly sorry if I have upset anyone. My next trip to Mexico is a few months away yet!

Dolly

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolly - I am the last person that would support Grupo Mayan, but the bottom line is that many parts of your story just don't ring true:

-the way you suddenly switched to a Canadian IP

-the odd details of your story - like going to church with the sales person

-the description of the pkg you claimed to have bought is not accurate

-the fact that you called your sales person AFTER being advised not to

-your non-response when people asked over and over for specifics about what you bought

-your paranoid reaction to Karen Rose's offer of help

It simply doesn't add up.... and since we have a regular parade of people on TUG who have a hidden agenda, it made me curious.

Last edited:

jnjn

TUG Member
Reaction score
????

I just jumped to the last page and started reading... Is it just me or did the Mexico section just start filling up with some really "odd" posters? Or was it always like this?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Is it just me or did the Mexico section just start filling up with some really "odd" posters?
It's just you!:D

We've had some interesting and entertaining discussions lately.

Reaction score
Having Examined A Lot Of Complaints Websites "lyin' Mayan" Is No Exaggeration

Hi everyone,
I am new to this group and I'm just a guest for now, I recently purchased at the Mayan Palace............I am very concerned to see no positive reports, can anyone reassure me please.
Dolly

I have been studying these websites for sometime now and the main complaint is that people have been lied to....and how!!! Ex employees of the Mayan say that seventy per cent of what the reps say during those presentations and negotiations is " B.S. " They have also said that the Mayan is the worst timeshare company in Latin America regarding their name in the business. Hence the new thing is that they are using the "Wyndham" as a cover making people believe that they are dealing with a "reputable company" and not the "sleazy Mexican" one, they have a deal with the Wyndham!!!!for renting properties so that buyers believe that they are dealing with Wyndham, the largest timeshare company, I believe and quite well known, not dishonest as a rule. The name that the Mayan should use is this one "Lyin' Mayan" if they were to be honest about themeslves!!!

I would not recommend anyone to deal with these people, certainly in the UK the Timeshare Consumers Association call them "dangerous people to deal with" and do not recommend anyone to part with any money for anything that they might have on offer! The BBB has the same idea, with the lowest rating and what more can I say, they have been quoted as having more suits than a clothing warehouse!!! Warning after warning, nothing is certain with these people. It is not recommended to have any dealings with them. It has put me off for life!!! Not worth the trouble. Perhaps they could open a company giving intensive course to those who want to learn how to be devious!!! and learn crooked ways. They have it down to a fine art.

You need to do your homework before engaging in timeshare really. There are very few decent ones I am told. But you have to search them out if you really want timeshare. I do not, no way, it has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would never touch it with a barge pole!!!

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I have been studying these websites for sometime now and the main complaint is that people have been lied to....and how!!! Ex employees of the Mayan say that seventy per cent of what the reps say during those presentations and negotiations is " B.S. " They have also said that the Mayan is the worst timeshare company in Latin America regarding their name in the business. Hence the new thing is that they are using the "Wyndham" as a cover making people believe that they are dealing with a "reputable company" and not the "sleazy Mexican" one, they have a deal with the Wyndham!!!!for renting properties so that buyers believe that they are dealing with Wyndham, the largest timeshare company, I believe and quite well known, not dishonest as a rule. The name that the Mayan should use is this one "Lyin' Mayan" if they were to be honest about themeslves!!!

I would not recommend anyone to deal with these people, certainly in the UK the Timeshare Consumers Association call them "dangerous people to deal with" and do not recommend anyone to part with any money for anything that they might have on offer! The BBB has the same idea, with the lowest rating and what more can I say, they have been quoted as having more suits than a clothing warehouse!!! Warning after warning, nothing is certain with these people. It is not recommended to have any dealings with them. It has put me off for life!!! Not worth the trouble. Perhaps they could open a company giving intensive course to those who want to learn how to be devious!!! and learn crooked ways. They have it down to a fine art.

You need to do your homework before engaging in timeshare really. There are very few decent ones I am told. But you have to search them out if you really want timeshare. I do not, no way, it has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would never touch it with a barge pole!!!

The Mayan sales people are awful but all ts salespeople lie. Bought my first ts in 1997 from the then Fairfield group, same lies. Have been to several presentations at other resort affiliations and most do lie a LOT! The worst was at the Villa Del Mar in Puerto Vallarta. Guy was really nasty and abusive. It's not unique to Mayan. I don't condone it either.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just jumped to the last page and started reading... Is it just me or did the Mexico section just start filling up with some really "odd" posters? Or was it always like this?

It's just you!:D

We've had some interesting and entertaining discussions lately.

It was not always like this. It's not just you noticing it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free