• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
The land of make believe..

This thread is not really a fair place to debate issues...

Denise has not told Dolly how she is going to Guarantee her,that the unit she fell in love with, will be available to her ,in the winter for 4 to 8 weeks a year..

by avoiding this question with comments such as ..('I really did not follow you')...or( 'this is not curing cancer')...or..the belittling of (everytime I try to have a rational conversation with you Sally ..I regret it')..and the infamous threat of ..calm down..your tone is wrong. (really saying).I can demean ..and avoid answering your question ......

I for one would like Denise to address this issue...

She has advised Dolly..on direction,without really solving the main issue...Dolly loves the Mayan properties ....She would like to stay there in the winter for more then a (LOTTO) week...(if even available ) .and I think this is just sad...

I WANT A PLAN,(for DOLLY)...from Denise...

Everything ,she has posted,was hoping for bad times to continue..hoping 56 (teaser) weeks will be available each year...and the absurd notion that at ANY time in history.. a Grand Luxxe unit will be obtainable for $250. weekly...this is just silly..

Oh and Siesta..I have researched your WESTIN resort...nice..but really (overall) not even in the same line of offerings...sorry...(nice beach though)

Also..very expensive .. as.well as everything in that part of the world...not really for the weak purse...

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh and Siesta..I have researched your WESTIN resort...nice..but really (overall) not even in the same line of offerings...sorry...(nice beach though)
I don't own a westin in hawaii, just a measly sheraton in the desert. :D

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
This thread is not really a fair place to debate issues...
Then why do you continue to do so? If you have an issue to discuss with Denise, please communicate with her by private message.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
well..

Tug is about ALL sides of the timeshare entity,..is it not??

I just think ,my side should be allowed to be told...thats all..

I have private messaged Denise and she was not what you would call cordial..

I respond to fuzzy facts being told as truth...like.. (you can get this anytime you want)..

I just thought Dolly should know ,(from a Grand Bliss member)..that booking top tier unit weeks,with low (outside) booking value..is a prayer..at best...

This is not what Denise is hawking...

Also..as Mike has said ..over and over..ownership has many perks..that add up to $$$$ saved...

Does Dolly have a husband or friends that like to golf???or spa??? or does she like first class butler service??..or the no fees unless you use clause??

Denise will have her trying to compete for limited weeks at best and staying in often crappy trades...A nightmare!!

If Dolly has the means ..she deserves the BEST vacation that will buy...she will not find that in a hit or miss plan..(as Denise is suggesting)..

also again..Denise says she THINKS high season units will be always available..

Quess what..I have been a grand Mayan member(a much larger total unit offering)..then the luxxe....for 12 years....I have learned from expierience..even those units are (sold out)..in the first day of the month of booking ,if not the first 20 minutes of that day... in high season..

I do not know where Denise pulls her info on high season from..but it is not fact..

Last edited:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elli tried that one and it was returned undeliverable. I used it a couple of months ago and it worked.

Elli, did you find a working email?
I was out all aft., and Phyllis (pittle) and Tropical lady were kind enough to pm the address. Also thanks for your e-mail, Pat. Will let you know if I get a reply from Grand Mayan using the new e-mail address. Thanks to everyone who answered and posted. Elli

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And the absurd notion that at ANY time in history.. a Grand Luxxe unit will be obtainable for $250. weekly...this is just silly....

I do not know where Denise pulls her info on high season from..but it is not fact..

The Grand Luxxe deposits and $256 a week Getaways are listed on the Interval International website right now - it's public information - go look it up yourself. The deposits are also posted on the TUG Sightings forum where 156 TUG members have already seen them.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything is game with the exchange systems, and it goes both ways with the food chain. For instance, South Africa can exchange into HI (well, maybe not Westin, but I wouldn't bet it can't).

IMO ( as a lowly MP owner), Grupo is hurting its owners not only by sales practices, but by dumping 'developer' units into exchange systems. I use the term 'developer' loosely, meaning after units are sold, they don't pass to an HOA--as Grupo is the owner & developer. This reduces rental opportunies for owners as well as availability for owner reservations.

Being low on the Grupo food chain, but having holiday weeks that rent for 3-4x the m/f, I'm doing ok and recouped my resale cost in about 4 years with rentals. And I truly like their product--just not all of their operating strategies.

Regarding negatives with staying at mega-resorts: Heck, staying there doesn't prevent us from venturing into the local culture. In fact, we enjoy the onsite amenities while there, but most of our time is spent outside the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Then why do you continue to do so? If you have an issue to discuss with Denise, please communicate with her by private message.

No thank you..... it's pointless.

Hopefully, at least we saved Dolly from some serious buyer's remorse.

Dolly - if you want more info. on the plan I outlined for you, send me a private message or email and I'd be glad to discuss it in detail. It will save you $59,500

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anything is game with the exchange systems, and it goes both ways with the food chain. For instance, South Africa can exchange into HI (well, maybe not Westin, but I wouldn't bet it can't).

IMO ( as a lowly MP owner), Grupo is hurting its owners not only by sales practices, but by dumping 'developer' units into exchange systems. I use the term 'developer' loosely, meaning after units are sold, they don't pass to an HOA--as Grupo is the owner & developer. This reduces rental opportunies for owners as well as availability for owner reservations.

Being low on the Grupo food chain, but having holiday weeks that rent for 3-4x the m/f, I'm doing ok and recouped my resale cost in about 4 years with rentals. And I truly like their product--just not all of their operating strategies.

Regarding negatives with staying at mega-resorts: Heck, staying there doesn't prevent us from venturing into the local culture. In fact, we enjoy the onsite amenities while there, but most of our time is spent outside the resort.

All resorts give developer weeks to the exchange companies if they have them. I have exchanged into developer weeks at several resorts including Grand Mayan, HGVC/Flamingo, Marriott/Ft. Lauderdale Beach, etc.

The resorts do this to get new prospects for sales. Doesn't work with us because we don't do sales presentations.

Grupo Mayan has a lot of developer weeks because they are very large and have built a lot of new units. The Grand Luxxe is a new product so there are developer weeks. That isn't going to last forever.

When we first started going to the HGVC/Flamingo there were lots of weeks so it was easy to get an exchange. I did 4 exchanges into the HGVC/Flamingo in 1 year. However when they sold out, it became much more difficult to get an exchange. That will happen at that Grand Luxxe as well.

I agree 100% with your last statement. We did lots of activities away from the Grand Mayan, but it is very nice to be able to just enjoy the resort. Our last 2 week stay, we never went off the resort because most everything was shut down because of the swine flu thing. However we didn't feel deprived at all as we enjoyed the resort.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
John,

Absolutely agree many resorts dump developer weeks into exchange systems to draw new blood, so to speak.

Grupo has an abundance of weeks available for exchange, and I am sure they will dwindle as time goes on. I just empathize for my fellow Grupo owners who own a newer product and now see it for exchange, especially when they may be vying for limited owner week confirmations. In the perfect world, all owners would get their weeks locked in before exchanges are deposited, but ya know this isn't a perfect world and resorts supposedly make their best estimates as to owner demand vs. open space before bulk depositing.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John,

Absolutely agree many resorts dump developer weeks into exchange systems to draw new blood, so to speak.

Grupo has an abundance of weeks available for exchange, and I am sure they will dwindle as time goes on. I just empathize for my fellow Grupo owners who own a newer product and now see it for exchange, especially when they may be vying for limited owner week confirmations. In the perfect world, all owners would get their weeks locked in before exchanges are deposited, but ya know this isn't a perfect world and resorts supposedly make their best estimates as to owner demand vs. open space before bulk depositing.

One thing that would make me unhappy with owning a Grupo resort is the relatively short time in advance that owners can reserve their week(s). This was discussed before and as I remember, an owner can reserve 6 months in advance. Correct me if I am wrong. As an exchanger through SFX, I can request a week at any Grupo Mayan resort 18 months in advance.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
allright...ok...

so now Denise has promised Dolly, that she can obtain a 2 bedroom Grand Luxxe unit ,with the same packaged perks ..for $500.

how about some reality ..

Dolly...You can get into a lower tier of the Mayan properties on ebay. for roughly 2 to 4 thousand bucks or more after all said and done...Luxxe and Grand Bliss units will almost NEVER come up on resale because of the no M-fee unless you use. clause in these contracts..folks who own have no need to liquidate..it does happen ,but is VERY, VERY,rare...

These lower tiered units ,while nice are much smaller and not even close to the luxery and sq.footage of the luxxe...you will most likely be locked into a m-fee,even if you cant go...there will be no extra perks,as you lose these on ebay transfer...

The grupo properties are the premier timeshare resorts ,of Mexico...

I suggest ,based on your means,to purchase what works for you..We love the safety and great food ,as well as the secure knowledge,that these properties will look and run like the day we became members...

When you start messing with trades and one time only deals,you open yourself up to a lot of heartache..often you find the resorts you end up with,fall way short of what grupo Mayan offers..

If you love these resorts..do not hesitate on owning...many, many, years of 2 weeks yearly...at grupo mayan properties,and not one let down in any resort expierience...now THAT is SOLID advice from one who has owned...not someone who thinks she may go in the future and only rarely has visited mexico at all..

As for the many other resorts (some that demand all inclusive)as well...............enjoy the rehashed food choices..mostly those awfull little breakfast meats/ lunch cocktail weenys/dinner soup base wonder ingreidient....nothing gets wasted...:eek: ..you will NEVER endure resort shennanigans like this at grupo mayan properties...First class all the way...how do you want to spend your hard earned vacation???...If you love Mexico ,as we do..the choice is simple.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well! How Comforting To See That Someone Is Getting The Proper Advice Re. Grupo Maya

You don't have to drive back to the resort - you can AND SHOULD rescind by mail immediately.

Yes, you can really buy for pennies on the dollar on the resale market - look at these Ads for resales in Mexico - http://realestate.shop.ebay.com/i.h...kw=&_osacat=15897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Look through your purchase papers and see if you can find the instructions for rescission (although they are notorious for leaving them out in Mexico.)

If not, here is an advice article that can give you some guidance - it was written for another resort, but everything else applies to you:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

And I was going to mention other Mexican timeshare as well, although I do not know much about them. But from what I see the Grupo Mayan are definitely to be kept away from unless "daylight robbery" is your "thing", and you like to be on the receiving end!!! Well done, Denise!!!

Be SURE you dispute it with your credit card company immediately, and block any further payments. Be aware that they may have opened a new credit card Acct. for you - look in your purchase papers.

I would NOT call the sales office - they will do anything and everything possible to block your rescission. Even if they TELL you that you don't have the right to rescind in Mexico - YOU DO! It's the law - even in Mexico.

Don't delay - it's critical to have it post marked within 5 days of signing the contract.

We could have done with this advice from someone prior to getting involved with those "cheap trip" salesmen in Cancun!

Last edited by a moderator:

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
there you have it...

[Sally - this is getting old. Feel free to defend your property, but you aren't going to make this personal by starting a poll about who is right and who is wrong. Please confine the rest of your posts to the topic, and don't make it about people. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sally - consider this a formal warning. If you can't follow forum rules and the directives of Moderators, you are going to be suspended from TUG.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Note to all who are reading this thread

If at any time you wish to put any other poster on the "Ignore List", just click on User CP on the blue bar at the top of this page and scroll down all the way to the bottom to the Miscellaneous section at the far left. There you can click Buddy/Ignore lists and enter the name of any poster whose posts you no longer want to see.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Dolly,
You started a thread (which is now locked) on Feb 24th about your purchase at Mayan Palace (which turned out to be a GL), a resale through them, 2 bdrm, 2+2 weeks per year for $59000. Your question was about price which generated 194 replies and 3076 reads, covering all aspects of buying a timeshare from resale vs the developer and you received a gament of info. Your post did not seem to imply any disatisfaction with the purchase other than you wanted validation for what you paid. In addition, you then asked about a vacation club and received info/opinions about that. Now a thread started in 2009 is resurrected as you want to know the outcome of that situation.
Could you please update the people who invested time and gave you info, opinions, as to where you stand with your purchase.....in the process of rescinding and how is it going.....you did not rescind and why......what about the vacation club?? You may be in the middle of a process and that's ok, but just an update...it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

dollydaydream

Reaction score
my update.............

Dear Tropical Lady,

I wrote this private message to the Moderator as I didn't know where to turn, I am now not bothered and I no longer feel threatened by that Rose from customer service.

I didn't realise that I left such a 'cliff hanger' amongst the group so I am happy to share this with you.

All good wishes.
Dolly

Originally Posted by dollydaydream
Dear Karen,

I have recinded my contract but I am concerned about the return of my money, We do not go back to Vancouver until Tuesday 1st March. We are currently just outside Guadalajara in the retirement town of Lake Chapala, I can't wait to get back, this has all been too much I have lost a lot of sleep...........on vacation !!!! go figure. I have limited internet connection there are cafes here but I have been using my blackberry a lot.......probably at terrible expense. I am bothered by that Rose woman from the Mayan Customer Service, I will do as you suggest and have nothing to do with them. Scotiabank require everything in writing, which is no problem. I am reluctant to post anything on the forum because I do not know if legally Mayan can sue me, I know it sounds spineless but I do not know what the laws are. Can you give some advice?

Thank you so much.

Dolly.

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Best wishes.....

Dolly,
Thanks for the update. So many times, it seems, someone comes on with a question/concern which generates a host of posts that go off in different directions and many varying opinions. Still good discussions. But a majority who start the thread do leave the posters hanging without any response that the replies helped, circumstances changed, etc.
The request for info was in no way to pressure you to give confidential/personal information, but a general "how is it going"?
It sounds as though you are getting resolution and now can take time to understand timeshares and the different programs. Thanks again.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since the original poster on this thread has provided more information on her situation, I'm reopening the thread to add her comments so that maybe we'll have some resolution to her issues.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolly - Did you get a response from Grupo Mayan? What did they say?

Inquiring minds want to know... :hi:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those of you who are interested in visiting one of the Grand Luxxe resorts, there are multiple Getaway weeks available for LX2, (Grand Luxxe, Nuevo Vallarta) starting at $53 a night, on II.

Also - see the Sightings Forum for a bulk deposit (exchanges) for this resort.

Last edited:

Grupo Mayan

Reaction score
I regret to hear I bothered Dolly

Dear Readers and Dolly,

My sole purpose of participating in this forum is to offer help and clarify any concerns anyone may have with their timeshares with us.

I truly regret my attempt to help Dolly was taken out of context. I wish I could have been able to intervene in anyway to help her resolve her issues with us.

Anyway, this is a humble apology as it was never my intention to bother her at all, as you can see by the message I posted addressed to her.

As an advocate to Customer Care, I will remain available if anyone needs my assistance at grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com and 1-800-292-9446. We value and respect both our members and non members. Their concerns are very important to us and we are diligently working to resolve any complaints they may have.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.