• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you avoid buying a Florida timeshare due to Florida Senate Bill 4 D?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Is this new Florida law giving anyone pause over buying in Florida due to possible big increases in fees?

Would it likely be a one-time hit or annual impact to overall fees?

Please also provide verified fee increases due to the law.

Structural Reserve Funding Requirement

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Looks like Disney is not increasing fees enough to warrant concern.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Perhaps this would be a good poll question?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this new Florida law giving anyone pause over buying in Florida due to possible big increases in fees?

Would it likely be a one-time hit or annual impact to overall fees?

Structural Reserve Funding Requirement

This law was actually passed back in May of 2022, exactly four months before Hurricane Ian whacked part of SW Florida. I claim no expertise on this law, but do own weeks at several impacted FL timeshare properties at or over 3 stories in height and therefore subject to the “4D“ requirements, so I have some limited first hand experience regarding its’ application.

My (and my Board and Board attorneys) understanding is that a structural engineer must be “engaged” before 12/31/23, with the actual engineering assessment having to be completed by 12/31/24. Absent discovery of any structural problems, projected costs for this process (to be repeated only once every 10 years thereafter) don’t seem to be prohibitive in the opinion of the Boards and (two different) management companies of our two respective resorts.

That said, the more immediate (and permanent) “killer” as far as FL owner fees go is the fact that insurance costs (at least for coastal SW FL) have literally TRIPLED in just the past two years or so. At our small, independent resorts, we‘re talking about INCREASES of well over $350k per year. Unlike “4D” compliance costs, this hit will occur each and every year and, it may be safely assumed, will also see annual increases to boot. Certainly a factor to consider for prospective FL buyers, as well as those entirely reasonable (and only periodic) “4D” requirements.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The other thing that will impact fees is the inability of associations to waive fully funded reserves for certain structural reserve funding items starting in 2025. This will likely mean an increase in reserves with the bills that come out in late 2024 for most systems.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Yes, the MFs having the highest increases seem to be those on the coasts - VB, HHI - where insurance costs have increased tremendously, and in Hawaii and California.

And the other aspect in relation to this law is that with the WDW resorts all being near each other, the cost of the necessary inspections and services can be shared among them.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is because it is fundamentally a lease of the building, not ownership.

I'm not currently in the market. If I were in the market, and it were a year ago, MGV would have been on my target list. If I were in the market now, it would not be--and nothing in Florida would be for the next few years. I want to see how this shakes out, because it has the potential for changing value propositions in a non-trivial way.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder if this is because it is fundamentally a lease of the building, not ownership.

I'm not currently in the market. If I were in the market, and it were a year ago, MGV would have been on my target list. If I were in the market now, it would not be--and nothing in Florida would be for the next few years. I want to see how this shakes out, because it has the potential for changing value propositions in a non-trivial way.
A lot of DVC resorts also share physical structures with DVC hotel properties. So I suspect a number of expenses are shared with the master association. Are hotel type properties bound by SB-4D? If not, this bill may not impact a lot of DVC resorts.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I'm kind of concerned as I *just* got HGVC Seaworld, but this year's increase wasn't huge, ~ 10% I think? I kind of hope they've been taking care of this all along so there won't be a massive increase from all of this but IDK. They're already on the high side of price for these things so...

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Depends on what you want to do with it.

If it is to trade then you should be concerned no matter where you buy. Currently, Vegas looks like a good place because MFs stay comparatively low with little risk for disasters etc. Having little risk does not mean it will not happen and Vegas may somehow spiral out of control because of dams running dry, some legislation to raise taxes, or something else. Just look at how some people bought into cheaper systems to trade in RCI because Disney was available. They may have cheap MFs now but probably have to work harder for their lemonade or be paying for something they now do not want or use. So, I would say as long as you go in with eyes wide open and an exit strategy if you really become unhappy then do it.

We bought Lakeshore Reserve at construction thinking we will be able to make better use of exchanging by locking off and having 2 x 1 bedroom units(This is because our Son Antem Unit was a dedicated 2 bedroom). Now it is the worst thing I ever did. We moved to the USA, the points system was introduced shortly after buying, and the Marriott subsidy of MFs went away while they did not build out the resort so few owners have to pay for maintaining amenities etc which increases the MFs. Fortunately they waved fully funding reserves this year which would have put MF at $5000 for a 2 bedroom. Now I wonder what may happen next year.

Buying where you want to go most often and having that unit tradeing well seems to be the best advice for spending money well.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
If it is to trade then you should be concerned no matter where you buy. Currently, Vegas looks like a good place because MFs stay comparatively low with little risk for disasters etc.

A trader week is only as good as 1) What it can pull; and 2) How many weeks it can pull on a single maintenance fee. Las Vegas would be rather low on my list of possible trader-weeks. It's much, much better to own a week at the only timeshare in town, in a beloved prestige area. There are a handful of these scattered around the US.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
A trader week is only as good as 1) What it can pull; and 2) How many weeks it can pull on a single maintenance fee. Las Vegas would be rather low on my list of possible trader-weeks. It's much, much better to own a week at the only timeshare in town, in a beloved prestige area. There are a handful of these scattered around the US.
Being in the Marriott system an reading other forums(see HGVC) was the reason I referenced Vegas. I do agree with you.

Orlando does seem to becoming over priced for using as trader and a keeper.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

I was thinking the same thing. I was considering picking up a MGV to exchange or Florida Club usage. I might rethink that strategy now. I own at SVV so we'll see if there are any major increases.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's much, much better to own a week at the only timeshare in town, in a beloved prestige area. There are a handful of these scattered around the US.
Yes, yes there are. And maybe only a small subset of those are owned or operated by one of the branded systems. :D

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
A 17% increase is not great, but that still leaves the '24 fees at like $1900, or a little less. That's not bad, but I wonder what's going to happen if the FL legislature does not change the "cannot waive full funding after '25" part of the condo law.
I’m very happy owning only 1 Marriott timeshare in Orlando…and that’s a 2 BR lockoff….I would not be happy owning 2..3 or 4 weeks…We purchased over 20 years ago pre construction…and have had many great II exchanges over the years.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you want to go often and with a short travel distance.