• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH
Just purchased 2 Oceanfront units at WKORV North. Getting ready to book and would appreciate any feedback you have regarding what units, buildings to get into. Also what to avoid. Thank you!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Bldg. 8 - 6th floor - when you make the reservation, use the online special request function. Be aware that your odds are far better if you make the reservation exactly 12 mos. before check-in at midnight.

LahainaMoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
There are as many opinions on this as there are whales in February. But...

All of Building 8 is oceanfront. MOST of Building 5 is oceanfront. Our favorite is Building 8. As you probably know, North building are on an angle to the ocean. Building 8 faces the pool or the ocean. We prefer facing the pool, but be aware that the afternoon sun hits the lanai directly. Building 5 is nice, but you have a chance of being behind Pailolo. That is a turnoff to some.

As Denise says, book as early as you can. You can request the building and a high floor, but timestamp rules at this resort.

Some dislike Building 8 because you have to walk outside to get to it. Doesn't bother us. You can reach Building 5 from the parking lot by walking all the way through Buildings 7 and 6.

Both buildings are a wonderful location in a fabulous resort.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I'd avoid the ground floor/lower floors of both buildings. In actual fact they just looked out onto a newly formed 'pool' for a couple of days when we were there earlier this month as we had a tropical rainstorm blow through. Building 8 over 5 always, just for peace of mind to avoid being above/behind the bar.

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd avoid the ground floor/lower floors of both buildings. In actual fact they just looked out onto a newly formed 'pool' for a couple of days when we were there earlier this month as we had a tropical rainstorm blow through. Building 8 over 5 always, just for peace of mind to avoid being above/behind the bar.
Thank you so much. You've given good information! Appreciated!

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
Building 8, upper floor, period! You can’t request a specific unit, but for Building 8, units 1-8 have the pool view, units 9-14 have the best ocean views. Absolutely make your reservation at exactly midnight Orlando time at the 12 month mark to get the best time stamp, which will help with your villa assignment requests. A Friday check-in day also helps (if it’s a Home Resort reservation, your reservation starts on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday only) and try to check in exactly at 4 pm, if not a bit earlier (unlikely your villa will be ready, but increases the odds of a better room before the hordes arrive). The front desk clerks will show you on a resort map where they have you assigned, so there can be a bit of wiggle room, depending on their mood, your attitude, and occupancy levels that week. Congratulations and good luck!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Building 8, upper floor, period! You can’t request a specific unit, but for Building 8, units 1-8 have the pool view, units 9-14 have the best ocean views. Absolutely make your reservation at exactly midnight Orlando time at the 12 month mark to get the best time stamp, which will help with your villa assignment requests. A Friday check-in day also helps (if it’s a Home Resort reservation, your reservation starts on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday only) and try to check in exactly at 4 pm, if not a bit earlier (unlikely your villa will be ready, but increases the odds of a better room before the hordes arrive). The front desk clerks will show you on a resort map where they have you assigned, so there can be a bit of wiggle room, depending on their mood, your attitude, and occupancy levels that week. Congratulations and good luck!
I've never understood why some people take an absolute age when checking in should take no more than 5-10 minutes. Now I know it's because they probably value 'bartering' over a simple room assignment over showing some consideration to the long line of people behind them ;)

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I've never understood why some people take an absolute age when checking in should take no more than 5-10 minutes. Now I know it's because they probably value 'bartering' over a simple room assignment over showing some consideration to the long line of people behind them ;)
I’ve seen a lot of this, but we don’t partake. We’re always happy with our assigned villa. I have noticed guests are being nicer to associates this year.

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are as many opinions on this as there are whales in February. But...

All of Building 8 is oceanfront. MOST of Building 5 is oceanfront. Our favorite is Building 8. As you probably know, North building are on an angle to the ocean. Building 8 faces the pool or the ocean. We prefer facing the pool, but be aware that the afternoon sun hits the lanai directly. Building 5 is nice, but you have a chance of being behind Pailolo. That is a turnoff to some.

As Denise says, book as early as you can. You can request the building and a high floor, but timestamp rules at this resort.

Some dislike Building 8 because you have to walk outside to get to it. Doesn't bother us. You can reach Building 5 from the parking lot by walking all the way through Buildings 7 and 6.

Both buildings are a wonderful location in a fabulous resort.
I'm not understanding what you mean by "some dislike building 8 because you have to walk outside to get to it". As far as I know, all of the villas at the "North" building must be accessed through outside halls. Are you possibly referring to the older building? Thanks

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve seen a lot of this, but we don’t partake. We’re always happy with our assigned villa. I have noticed guests are being nicer to associates this year.
I don't think it's being rude or inconsiderate to first ask where your room assignment is before accepting it. After all, when were going to spend up to two weeks there we want to make sure its somewhere in the area that we requested. I have no problem waiting for others to do the same.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I'm not understanding what you mean by "some dislike building 8 because you have to walk outside to get to it". As far as I know, all of the villas at the "North" building must be accessed through outside halls. Are you possibly referring to the older building? Thanks
Building 8 is completely separated from/doesn't share any hallways (or walls) with the other buildings. Hence, you have to go "outside" of the main building complex, walk past the pool, and then enter building 8 (whereas all the other buildings you can technically stay "inside" one of the connected hallways from the lobby to get to your room.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think it's being rude or inconsiderate to first ask where your room assignment is before accepting it. After all, when were going to spend up to two weeks there we want to make sure its somewhere in the area that we requested. I have no problem waiting for others to do the same.
A request is just that, a request so how can you 'make sure'? If your request couldn't be accommodated what are you going to do about it, ask that they move other people just to suit you? I have seen some people 'occupy' check in for 30+ minutes even on days when the line is very long and in the meantime they are calling over just about every member of their family to discuss 'who knows what'?