• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

With the stock market plunging. . .

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My annuities sure look good. They make a great hedge, and stability. Right now with the all-around instability and uncertainty of the future, I'm glad I have 'em. Sure, it's not the majority part of my holding, there's stocks, International, bonds, some gold and some real estate, but those checks that jut keep on coming every month are sure nice.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There's a whole 'nother thread dealing with market volatility anxiety.
As you say, those of us with pensions (type of annuity), have it made in the shade.
Even though our nest eggs may drop a ton, I don't need it before the come-back.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For those that sail Carnival brands (they have other brands other than Carnival ships for those Carnival haters out there), it is a good time to buy their stock for the $100 OBC shareholder deal.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We did our own hedge awhile ago and moved some of our investments into rental property. None of them declined in value this week.

For those that sail Carnival brands (they have other brands other than Carnival ships for those Carnival haters out there), it is a good time to buy their stock for the $100 OBC shareholder deal.

Do you know if Carnival is the only brand that offers OBC?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We did our own hedge awhile ago and moved some of our investments into rental property. None of them declined in value this week.

It seems that they do;

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My annuities sure look good. They make a great hedge, and stability. Right now with the all-around instability and uncertainty of the future, I'm glad I have 'em. Sure, it's not the majority part of my holding, there's stocks, International, bonds, some gold and some real estate, but those checks that jut keep on coming every month are sure nice.
Amen. Moved all of my IRA into deferred fixed income annuity 4 years ago and they will start paying in another 3 years. We are still subject to my husband's RMD, but we can deal with that fluctuation.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I always said leave in the stock market what you can afford to live without.

I remember when growing up, savings accounts had high interest and many seniors lived off that interest. As interest rates went down so did their income. I learned from that.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
N
You don't mention when you bought them or what your earnings are. Our stock portfolio, even with the recent slide, is up over 50% in the last 5 years. Once the market recovers for this recent correction, I'm hopeful we'll be up even more.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Royal Caribbean Cruise (Royal Carribean, Celebrity, Azmara) offer OBC to stock holders

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't mention when you bought them or what your earnings are. Our stock portfolio, even with the recent slide, is up over 50% in the last 5 years. Once the market recovers for this recent correction, I'm hopeful we'll be up even more.
I bought a couple of immediate annuities back in 2006ish. They locked in at 7% payout until I'm 98. I get about $1100/mo. So far I live on that and SS. Like you, my market holdings have grown nicely for 8+ years and now I'm faced with RMD's. The market is doing it's gyrations, and it has zero effect on my lifestyle or sleep.

geekette

Reaction score
dividends keep getting paid, another raise announced. Far to go to see much red in my portfolio, I had a few that were red before all this started. I continue to reinvest dividends. I can be happy in any kind of market, but scooping low now can make a powerful difference down the road. I own a lot of companies and I don't expect to lose any dividends nor companies, but I could.

The key for me is to not be reliant on any one company or sector. I own across the basic material, manufacturing, distribution, product, and point of sale for some industries (food, I own the whole way on food, but I don't have any restaurants so I won't be hammered by people not eating out, and buoyed by people buying groceries and thank you Costco shoppers). Big ole conglomerates like MMM aren't likely to be impaired severely long term.

I like to think of it as trading one paycheck from one company for multiple paychecks from multiple companies. I live in an at will state so my jobs have always been subject to whims of office axe. It's not so different, just more eggs in more baskets.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
People are now seeing first hand the value of having annuities (or a pension) as one leg of a “four legged” retirement stool (the other three, for me, being Social Security; Stocks/Bonds (dividends/interest); and a good single malt Scotch.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Always best to buy at the bottom of a cycle, as they say...but not sure this is the bottom yet. I rolled the dice (only 5K ), looking for a 16% return in 10-12 months.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Always best to buy at the bottom of a cycle, as they say...but not sure this is the bottom yet. I rolled the dice (only 5K ), looking for a 16% return in 10-12 months.

My FA did a bunch of puts in early February which have proven to be a god send. He said he saw “cracks” in the economy and wanted to hedge. Now, he is starting to think on buying calls.

Boy, finding a great FA is like finding a gold mine.

So far, I have only lost 1.3 percent of my net worth. Lucky, as I think we are at 20 percent from the highs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
For us annuities is one of 5 legs. 2 Social Security, 1 RMD (managed accounts), 1 annuity and the last one is managed taxable accounts of stocks/bonds/etc which will go to the estate. We only need the first 4 to live on.

Curious. Do you know the average Social Security monthly payment? I hear it’s higher than Canada.

In Canada, the CPP is about 1 k a month depending on how many years you contributed and whether you made over 50 k a year to max out the payment.

We do have guaranteed income supplement but you have to be under the low income cutoff to get that. Plus, there is Old Age Security. The maximum if you are under the low income cutoff is about 2 k a month.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious. Do you know the average Social Security monthly payment? I hear it’s higher than Canada.

In Canada, the CPP is about 1 k a month depending on how many years you contributed and whether you made over 50 k a year to max out the payment.

We do have guaranteed income supplement but you have to be under the low income cutoff to get that. Plus, there is Old Age Security. The maximum if you are under the low income cutoff is about 2 k a month.

In the US it varies with how much you have earned / contributed and it takes the highest 35 years of contributions.

Social Security pays out an average of about $1450 per month. Someone who has contributed the maximum for 35 years and delay collecting until 70 years old will get about $3700 per month. If someone contributed very little it can be something like $700 per month. I think if one is poor, there are other sources of help available - food stamps, low income housing etc, but it is a struggle for them.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
A Canadian will soon amplify here, but there is CPP (like an IRA; you have to contribute) and also OAS (like our SS except entirely funded by taxes). The latter is currently CDN613 per month if you lived 40 years in Canada. And of course, medical care is free.

Brett

Reaction score

yes, people with good pensions don't worry much about the stock market.
And those with pensions and stock investments held over 30 years have done especially well. My 99 year old mother is an example - she has good pensions that cover her living expenses and she is sitting on a $2.5 million stock portfolio even after the recent "correction". My parents never saved anything during their working lives!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My wife signed up for SS at 62. Her first check was deposited into our bank account last January. We were in Mexico and we do check our accounts occasionally on trips but not usually. We used the atm at a grocery store so we could buy some art. Since using the atm at a grocery store isn't our norm we check the account and couldn't figure out why we had more funds that we thought. We finally figured it out. It was that first ss check.

We got out of mutual funds in 2009 and I only trade occasionally. I learned that I don't like day trading, lol.

We did add more rental units. The real estate j curve hit shortly after we bought and the values of all the real estate went up. Real estate sales were hot in the last few years. Rents also increased but so did taxes and insurance. Hard to say what will happen next with real estate but one certainty is there isn't any more in the city. What is there is there.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For us at this point I am glad we did not get around to investing hubby's lump sum pension, which is currently sitting in a Treasury Money Market Fund in a rollover IRA brokerage sweep account, or do a 401K rollover, as that is in a Stable Value Fund with just a little exposure to company stock.

Not collecting SS either, so what makes me the most nervous is - yes, the accounts that have gone down that are in stock mutual funds- though just around 35%- and of course, the cash we keep withdrawing to live on and to fix up the house.

Not having a regular paycheck coming in does feel very unsettling.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I look at this way:
The market is increasing my ratio of bonds to stock.
Something, I've been wanting to do, just not this way.

I think we're about half-way through this roller-coaster.
And the 360 deg. inversion is coming up.