• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg visit in July

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! My wife and I just booked Week 28 (check-in Friday, July 12) at "King's Creek by Spinnaker" in Williamsburg. (The resort is sometimes called King's Creek Plantation.) We're staying in a 3-bedroom unit, that I believe is in a town home.

I'm familiar with the area, having traveled there a few times with my first wife when our kids were young. I'm traveling with my second wife and teenage stepson, and one of his friends. So I know about Colonial Williamsburg, the theme and water parks, and the proximity to Virginia Beach, for beach days.

I'm posting here simply because TUG people are friendly and sometimes know about interesting events or things to do that might escape the notice of visitors. If you have any insights into the resort (e.g., construction, problems, or something positive) please share, or anything about things to do in the area beyond the standard visit to the historic area or beach, that would be appreciated! If you have a favorite restaurant in the area, that would also be good to know!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We were there in December. We got a freestanding cottage with 3rd bedroom as a separate lockoff apt. This would be fun for your stepson/friend so maybe call and see if you can request-or if that’s what you’re already assigned. It only had a K bed and foldout-so you could give them upstairs bedrooms instead. K 1st and and twins in 2nd bedroom.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
We were there in the fall for Thanksgiving traveling with our then 18 year old son.

We went over to Norfolk for the Nautilus museum as it previously had been very interesting, but this time it was in exhibit limbo with little to see, but we enjoyed visiting the Battleship Wisconsin again (we enjoy climbing around in navy boats at every opportunity). We had a fantastic lunch at Jack Browns Beer and Burger Joint in Norfolk.

Of the "historic stuff" our favorite was the weapons demonstration at Jamestown Settlement and having lunch in one of the old taverns at Williamsburg.

One shop we went to that we all loved was the Windchaser Meadery. It was a family run business and we had a wonderful visit and tasting with the owners and wound up buying quite a lot of mead. Also the Burton Parish Gift Shop (in the Colonial Williamsburg main street area)

Pick up the events books that are available in town. We visited once in June and had lots of outdoor concerts going on. At Thanksgiving they had ice skating set up and other holiday events.

For what it's worth, we think Water Country is a great water park and we love Busch Gardens, but in the summer we found these were more enjoyable by showing up at 4pm and staying until close (cooler temps and shorter lines). We had a pass so we went to one or the other several times in the evening over 7 days. Hope you have a fantastic trip with your family!

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in December. We got a freestanding cottage with 3rd bedroom as a separate lockoff apt. This would be fun for your stepson/friend so maybe call and see if you can request-or if that’s what you’re already assigned. It only had a K bed and foldout-so you could give them upstairs bedrooms instead. K 1st and and twins in 2nd bedroom.
Thanks for the tip!

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in the fall for Thanksgiving traveling with our then 18 year old son.

We went over to Norfolk for the Nautilus museum as it previously had been very interesting, but this time it was in exhibit limbo with little to see, but we enjoyed visiting the Battleship Wisconsin again (we enjoy climbing around in navy boats at every opportunity). We had a fantastic lunch at Jack Browns Beer and Burger Joint in Norfolk.

Of the "historic stuff" our favorite was the weapons demonstration at Jamestown Settlement and having lunch in one of the old taverns at Williamsburg.

One shop we went to that we all loved was the Windchaser Meadery. It was a family run business and we had a wonderful visit and tasting with the owners and wound up buying quite a lot of mead. Also the Burton Parish Gift Shop (in the Colonial Williamsburg main street area)

Pick up the events books that are available in town. We visited once in June and had lots of outdoor concerts going on. At Thanksgiving they had ice skating set up and other holiday events.

For what it's worth, we think Water Country is a great water park and we love Busch Gardens, but in the summer we found these were more enjoyable by showing up at 4pm and staying until close (cooler temps and shorter lines). We had a pass so we went to one or the other several times in the evening over 7 days. Hope you have a fantastic trip with your family!
Oh wow! That;s a lot of great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that! Once again the value of being a TUG member proves itself! LOL

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Hey everybody! My wife and I just booked Week 28 (check-in Friday, July 12) at "King's Creek by Spinnaker" in Williamsburg. (The resort is sometimes called King's Creek Plantation.) We're staying in a 3-bedroom unit, that I believe is in a town home.

I'm familiar with the area, having traveled there a few times with my first wife when our kids were young. I'm traveling with my second wife and teenage stepson, and one of his friends. So I know about Colonial Williamsburg, the theme and water parks, and the proximity to Virginia Beach, for beach days.

I'm posting here simply because TUG people are friendly and sometimes know about interesting events or things to do that might escape the notice of visitors. If you have any insights into the resort (e.g., construction, problems, or something positive) please share, or anything about things to do in the area beyond the standard visit to the historic area or beach, that would be appreciated! If you have a favorite restaurant in the area, that would also be good to know!

When I was in Williamsburg last May, the trip to Virginia Beach was like an hour and a half one way. I guess that could be a day trip, but it's a decent amount of time in the car.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a great time! We've been to Williamsburg in the summer and it is just mind-blowingly hot and humid. We love Water Country, and I agree about going after 4 pm. Busch Gardens is nice, but it is just so hot.

For Colonial Williamsburg, we usually buy full-week memberships and then park at the visitors' center and take the bus to the main area. Colonial Williamsburg has an event calendar that goes week by week. Plan ahead for things you want to do (we love the behind-the-scenes tours). Try to take note of things that are in air-conditioned spaces (like talks at the museum) so you can take breaks from the heat. Bring your water bottle. You can always hop the bus back to the visitors' center and watch Story of a Patriot a couple of times to catch your breath!

Book dining reservations and tour reservations ahead of time if there's something you really want to go to, they fill up fast.

Look online to see if there are any events at William and Mary--they sometimes have concerts and shows, and they have their own art museum. The Williamsburg Public Library is excellent and they sometimes have interesting events too.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! That;s a lot of great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that! Once again the value of being a TUG member proves itself! LOL
Quick follow up question. Did you find the unit to be clean
Have a great time! We've been to Williamsburg in the summer and it is just mind-blowingly hot and humid. We love Water Country, and I agree about going after 4 pm. Busch Gardens is nice, but it is just so hot.

For Colonial Williamsburg, we usually buy full-week memberships and then park at the visitors' center and take the bus to the main area. Colonial Williamsburg has an event calendar that goes week by week. Plan ahead for things you want to do (we love the behind-the-scenes tours). Try to take note of things that are in air-conditioned spaces (like talks at the museum) so you can take breaks from the heat. Bring your water bottle. You can always hop the bus back to the visitors' center and watch Story of a Patriot a couple of times to catch your breath!

Book dining reservations and tour reservations ahead of time if there's something you really want to go to, they fill up fast.

Look online to see if there are any events at William and Mary--they sometimes have concerts and shows, and they have their own art museum. The Williamsburg Public Library is excellent and they sometimes have interesting events too.
Thanks for the info! Awesome.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick follow up question. Did you find the timeshare unit itself clean and things generally in good condition? We're not extremely fussy but just want to know the carpets and furniture aren't worn out and shabby. I only ask because some reviews suggested the decor was a bit tired. I don't mind the decor being tired, as long as the place is clean and overall nice.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When I was in Williamsburg last May, the trip to Virginia Beach was like an hour and a half one way. I guess that could be a day trip, but it's a decent amount of time in the car.
We did it when we were there years ago. Was a nice day trip in April- Easter week.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right beside Water Country USA and about 2 miles from Busch Garden Theme Park.
Check the internet for some discounts for both attractions.

In July it can be hot, hazy and humid in Williamsburg, VA.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Our Unit was clean and furniture was not worn. Not Marriott or HGVC quality, but completely fine. We’d stay again if it we needed a 3 bedroom. The space was great. We had 7 people.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You say you think it is a townhouse....if that's the case you may be in the Estates section with two bedrooms on one side and another connected through a vestibule. Strange layout.

Family/Casual restaurants:
Sal's by Victor
Food for Thought
Second Street
Pierce's Pitt BBQ (counter service)
Paul's New Town
Retro's (counter service)
Blue Talon Bistro
Colonial Pancake House (breakfast/lunch)

Other unique places:
Casa Pearl
Cheese Shop

Fancier:
Opus 9
Cochon on Second
Le Yaca
Fat Canary (not for kids)

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

@thetimeshareguy , we were at this TS last October in a 2 bedroom unit, loved the resort but had issues with our unit, the kitchen sink was out and they refused to move us to a working unit, even though it was 75% empty at the resort. We enjoyed the outdoor pools, mini golf and participated in two activity's - made salsa one day and played Horseshoes another day.

We went to Bush Gardens and loved it and we did the guided tour of Jamestown and Yorktown, purchased off Groupon. We also went to the
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. It was a great visit.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
@thetimeshareguy , we were at this TS last October in a 2 bedroom unit, loved the resort but had issues with our unit, the kitchen sink was out and they refused to move us to a working unit, even though it was 75% empty at the resort. We enjoyed the outdoor pools, mini golf and participated in two activity's - made salsa one day and played Horseshoes another day.

We went to Bush Gardens and loved it and we did the guided tour of Jamestown and Yorktown, purchased off Groupon. We also went to the
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. It was a great visit.
Thanks for the info!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please pick-up the Free Williamsburg, Jamestown & Yorktown visitor guide for 2024. There are some good coupons in that free magazine.
There are many coupons in that free magazine of outstanding restaurants that Big Matt recommended .
There is a Go-Kart Plus site off Richmond Road and a Gold Rush Mini Golf off Richmond Road and a Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf Mini Golf off Mooretown Road.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Sal Hall is the Assistant GM at King's Creek. He used to be the GM at Wyndham Governor's Green and we became friends there. He is a people person and was a very active manager while at Governor's Green. Last time we were at GG, we took a ride to King's Creek just to chat with Sal for a few minutes.

I would not hesitate to contact Sal if anything is amiss.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please pick-up the Free Williamsburg, Jamestown & Yorktown visitor guide for 2024. There are some good coupons in that free magazine.
There are many coupons in that free magazine of outstanding restaurants that Big Matt recommended .
There is a Go-Kart Plus site off Richmond Road and a Gold Rush Mini Golf off Richmond Road and a Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf Mini Golf off Mooretown Road.
Thanks for the great tip! Much appreciated.

thetimeshareguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sal Hall is the Assistant GM at King's Creek. He used to be the GM at Wyndham Governor's Green and we became friends there. He is a people person and was a very active manager while at Governor's Green. Last time we were at GG, we took a ride to King's Creek just to chat with Sal for a few minutes.

I would not hesitate to contact Sal if anything is amiss.
Wonderful info! Thank you! It's always good to have a personal connection if anything is amiss!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trader’s Joes, Fresh Market, Publix, Walmart Super Stores, Kroger’s and Food Loin are some of grocery stores located in Williamsburg.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Back in the day TUG liked Ukrops for the grocery store with customer service. The stores were sold out in 2010 and renamed as Martins.

DRIless

Reaction score
I was at Busch Gardens last night, it'd been a hot day but at 6:30PM it was getting nice in the afternoon sun. My daughter and I got seven coaster rides in, 1-Loch Ness Monster, 4-Griffon, 1-Verbolten, 1-Pantheon, saw the evening fireworks while in line for that and made it out of the park before the closing rush. A nice Fathers Day evening.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the day TUG liked Ukrops for the grocery store with customer service. The stores were sold out in 2010 and renamed as Martins.
Today that store is Publix in the same location. The building have been totally remodeled.