• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens when you reach RTU date?

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a week at Aruba Surf Club. I know that property is a RTU which does not expire until 2061, but I am just curious as to what happens then? My guess is at that point Marriott will just do away with weeks and force everyone into the points system if they choose to stay a MVC member?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I do not have a Crystal Ball that tells me what the World will be like in 38 years. Assuming Homo Sapiens are still the dominant life force.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a week at Aruba Surf Club. I know that property is a RTU which does not expire until 2061, but I am just curious as to what happens then? My guess is at that point Marriott will just do away with weeks and force everyone into the points system if they choose to stay a MVC member?
In general it reverts and you no longer own. The RTU is Aruba is a little different than some I've seen where there's a better chance the RTU will be extended than say, DVC. As I understand it, the government in Aruba would have costs if they took the land back. I can get a better and more detailed account from someone there is you truly need it but I own a week there as well and I wouldn't worry about it until down under 10-12 years.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When the RTU expires, you lose the ownership and I don't think you would receive any residuals based on the value of the land or property. It is just done.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
When the RTU expires, you lose the ownership and I don't think you would receive any residuals based on the value of the land or property. It is just done.
When they close the sales center there, that will be your clue that your ownership will soon be gone.

But being more serious, I can imagine that MVC won't want to give up the property either, so they will probably be trying to negotiate a new RTU period. Now whether that would have any benefit to current owners, I don't know. They might just start over selling RTU weeks to new owners, or they might throw the usage into the trust and sell more Abound points. I'm not quite sure how they would work though – not sure how they can add RTU to the trust since it isn't owned property. So if any of us are still around in 2061 – I probably won't be – it will be interesting to see what happens.

The other question might be, how badly will the property decline in the last decade or so if there isn't going to be a new RTU period? MVC would have little incentive to do anything more than the most essential of maintenance to fulfill their waning obligations to RTU owners. They might even decide to take the Marriott name off the property so that they didn't need to maintain brand standards.

Have any of the MVC RTU properties ever reached the end of their RTU periods? I don't think it's happened yet, right?

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I was also wondering what will happen when we reach RTU date in 2033. Not any more. Hurricane Irma in 2017 followed by property owners unwillingness/inability to renovate cut our RTU short. No compensation, no explanation.
The Towers at Mullet Bay on Sint Maarten

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Tourism is Aruba's main driver in their economy. I believe they will just extend the RTU. Any other answer would be counter to a healthy economy. I do not own there but we have gone almost every year since 2008.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Tourism is Aruba's main driver in their economy. I believe they will just extend the RTU. Any other answer would be counter to a healthy economy. I do not own there but we have gone almost every year since 2008.
Aruba might extend the RTU (maybe for a price) – but why would MVC do the same? They'd likely offer RTU owners a wonderful opportunity to purchase an extension of their RTU rights for a five-figure $um. After all, the contracts for existing owners end in 2061. They're unlikely to offer an extension for free.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I contacted Owner Services back in 2015, seeking clarification about RTU resorts and what happens at their end date.
Their response (by email) was
"the property goes to the land owner and if the lease is renewed then the usage of the weeks for the owners will still continue."
I also checked the HOPA for our Playa Andaluza RTU ownership and if I read the "legalese" correctly then at the end of term either
- after discharging any liabilities and management charges, the net proceeds of sale are distributed to existing holiday owners in good standing
or
- the plan is renewed along with the RTU ownership for existing holiday owners in good standing

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Aruba might extend the RTU (maybe for a price) – but why would MVC do the same? They'd likely offer RTU owners a wonderful opportunity to purchase an extension of their RTU rights for a five-figure $um. After all, the contracts for existing owners end in 2061. They're unlikely to offer an extension for free.

I believe MVCI has no say in what happens. Let's pick this discussion up in 2060.