• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John Villa

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were looking at a 3BR villa for resale. Is there a ROFR with Westin. I asked the owner and they said no. I am pretty familair with Marriott and HGVC timeshare. I am new to Westin. Any help with buying and using a westinn resort would be appreciated. Do they have an internal exchange?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes the do have an internal exchange program, and they have ROFR, but they seldom use it. For lots of info. on Starwood and WSJ, come hang out on the TUG Hotel Based TS Board.

Also - click on ADVICE in the red bar, and scroll down to the Starwood Article.

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only some resorts in Starwood have a FROR. I know that Kannapali has it and was told that Kierland doesn't. Marriott sometimes uses this but I have heard that Westin never does.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
5*

do you have that much time off or do you rent,ot trade? my goal is to become 5* but it will have to happen slowly. did you buy them all from starwood? or some resales and did you requalify them. did you use the exploere program to get extra starpoints? so many questions.... have you stayed at the hotels and what kind of accomodations did they give you? did you use starpooints at standard rate and then got upgraded? so many more questions..... please tell me all you can. i think we want to do this for our retirement.6-8 weeks in someplace warm would be great. have 3 weeks so far. thanks in advance for all the info:D

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
what does FROR stand for?

I think they mean ROFR: right of first refusal- the resort has the right to buy the property back at the agreed upon contract price

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
FROR= First right of refusal AKA ROFR=Right of first refusal
Sorry for the confusion! The industry that I used to work in used the term FROR. I'm not an attorney; just got used to the terminolgy that was used.n I have only been reading on TUG for about a month and I will keep working to learn the lingo.

We bought Kannapali OF Deluxe on resale market (148,100 points)
We then requalified it with a Harborside 3BR PL direct (196,900 points)
We bought a Kierland 2BR PL on resale market (148,100 points)
We then requalified it with a Lagunamar 2BR PL direct (95,700 points)

I retired about 2 years ago so we have plenty of time to travel. That is why we have a house in Tahoe and SoCal that we travel between. My wife and I have a 1 & 3 year old so the villas (even the studios) are much better than a hotel or cruise ship room. We bought the weeks and locations that we did in order to use them. We use the resorts that we have bought but will consider trading them for other Starwood timeshares (St. John?) sometime in the future. I don't believe that trading for hotel points is a very good value from what I have looked at. I obviously have not stayed at the Lagunamar property as it is not open until next year but the other properties are awesome. I have been to Cancun several times and I am very familiar with the location Laguanamar and I am confident that we will love it.

5 Star Perks- The ones that I feel are a benefit to us.
The early checkin and late checkout are nice.
Autoupgrades are awesome and almost always happen (if possible).
In the future, we will likely use the function of reserving and then trying to trade.

I hope this helps.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retired with a 1 & 3 year old?

Nicely done.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I sold my WSJ studio last fall I was informed by Starwood that they did not have a ROFR, nor was the ROFR-style wording that Marriott uses at it's ROFR resorts in the deed.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
When I sold my WSJ studio last fall I was informed by Starwood that they did not have a ROFR, nor was the ROFR-style wording that Marriott uses at it's ROFR resorts in the deed.

SVO has a ROFR for some - and not others. Perhaps they do not for WSJ, but they do for WKORV and WKORV-N

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
David or Robin are correct. Westin has ROFR for my Kaanapali but not for my Kierland. I was told this but did not read it for myself as both were resale units and I got lazy because it didn't matter after I made the purchase. I am not sure specifically about St. John because I do not own there.