• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea or Maui Ocean Club

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello
Just wondering between these 2 great resorts. Is there anything that will make you stay in one or the other?

thanks for the feedback !

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hello
Just wondering between these 2 great resorts. Is there anything that will make you stay in one or the other?

Guaranteed view.

The view from our lanai is important to us; we don't go to Hawaii to look at a parking lot structure. Both resorts have units with excellent views and units with really bad views. OF at either or even OV at MOC would be the deciding factor for us.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Hello

Some of the units at MOC - the original building and I don't know what percent - are hotel conversion units and as such, do not have full kitchens (no oven or stovetop, but dishwasher!) and no in-unit laundry. We are checking in there Sunday for the first time and have one of those 1 bdrm units. Here are some photos a fellow Tugger sent me: MOC - 2016 Renovation | Flickr.

I agree with vacationtime1 from what I can see of unit views that those do look lovely. I also don't know if there are any "poor" units, i.e. parking lot views which I understand Nanea does have. I am sure someone else can comment on that.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Nanea has a full kitchen, gets you access to WKORN and WKORV pools, and is near Duke's Beach House and Whaler's General Store. MOC is close to Kaanapali Beach and Whalers Village. Depending on the tower you reserve and/or exchange into, you'll have either a full kitchen or limited kitchen. IIRC, Lahaina & Napili towers have full kitchens, but the other towers have limited kitchens.
There have been reports of a bad smell at times at Nanea due to the sewage treatment plant almost directly across the street. When we stayed at WKORV, we walked to Nanea several times, but did not notice the smell.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The smell comes when the wind blows right. I have smelled it at WKORVN and shudder what it must smell like at WNA.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you need a one bedroom, Westin Nanea has a limited number of one bedrooms and no lockoffs.
48 one bedroom villas,
250 two bedrooms villas
38 three bedrooms villas

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

We prefer the location of the Marriott with access to Whalers Village and the walking path but having a full kitchen and a W/D is important to us also. Generally it depends on the group. For just Kim and I the kitchen and W/D are not as important thus we'd take the Marriott old or new section over any of the Westin's. For a family trip we'd take Marriott new section then Westin's then Marriott old section. Nice problem to have to chose.

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. We may want to go with a 2 bedroom. How would I know which building or view I got?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
With Marriott, you can see the view code on your exchange history and they honor that view. A few years ago I had an island view studio and two weeks before check in another studio was available on II and I gambled and retraded it.....and I got an oceanfront unit! But it is a gambler.

With Westin, assume an II exchanger will get the the least desirable unit behind owners reserving at 12 months, Staroptions reservations at 8 months, Pre-view guests, cash paying guests then II.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here’s my Westin Nanea view from a 2018 II exchange (from the Vistana balcony thread)
NOTE: Nanea has units with parking garage views that have to deal with noise from the shuttle (link)

Interval International exchange into Westin Nanea. Assigned building 7 on the 2nd floor (7208) facing buildings 4 & 5 overlooking the plunge pool with a peek of the ocean behind the palm.

1a07895f-cfa8-4e68-8855-c960eb2205d5-jpeg.8333

897ae483-6ff0-47de-8326-0a1099156f86-jpeg.8334

dd07071f-4185-412e-9f59-46bd62bcb671-jpeg.8335

f1728e7a-68b5-47ec-9051-1195a7c54b05-jpeg.8336

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
right now due to low occupancy you can get lucky.We had a great ocean view with our 310 certificate at north.We are coming back this Sumner with my children and grand babies to Nanea with a sampler . We were warned at our recent presentation we would most likely have horrible views.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With Marriott, you can see the view code on your exchange history and they honor that view. A few years ago I had an island view studio and two weeks before check in another studio was available on II and I gambled and retraded it.....and I got an oceanfront unit! But it is a gambler.

I know to look on my exchange history to see the Marriott code I have ended up with but have been looking at rerades recently and can't figure out how I would know the code BEFORE I do the retrade. I recently saw a 2 bedroom OV that I could retrade for my 1 bedroom, but I didn't want to end up with a larger unit but no ocean view at all.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got 1 bedroom at Maui ocean club napali w the full kitchen but garden view via II for July. Is garden view worser than island view? I also got match to Westin north in a studio for the same period. I assume garden view 1 bedroom is better than a Westin studio w no view guarantee

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I got 1 bedroom at Maui ocean club napali w the full kitchen but garden view via II for July. Is garden view worser than island view? I also got match to Westin north in a studio for the same period. I assume garden view 1 bedroom is better than a Westin studio w no view guarantee

Marriott Ocean Club
Resort view categories. Napili’s views are shown in the first column.

1612070889132.jpeg

Westin Ka‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas
Resort view map - http://vistana-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/vistana-web/destinations/maps/kor-resort-map.pdf

1612072348739.jpeg

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know to look on my exchange history to see the Marriott code I have ended up with but have been looking at rerades recently and can't figure out how I would know the code BEFORE I do the retrade. I recently saw a 2 bedroom OV that I could retrade for my 1 bedroom, but I didn't want to end up with a larger unit but no ocean view at all.

i didn’t know you could see the code before hand. Thought it was a lucky gamble until confirmed. Maybe someone knows...

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i didn’t know you could see the code before hand. Thought it was a lucky gamble until confirmed. Maybe someone knows...

That was my question too; I don't know either and I would not want to go for maybe a larger unit but one with a much poorer view. I was wondering if there is a way to see ahead of time or is it just a gamble.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
That was my question too; I don't know either and I would not want to go for maybe a larger unit but one with a much poorer view. I was wondering if there is a way to see ahead of time or is it just a gamble.
There's no way to know online BEFORE the exchange. I don't know if you can call and ask, but it may be worth a try...unless another tugger can verify that the rep can't/won't be able to tell you the view prior to the trade.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There's no way to know online BEFORE the exchange. I don't know if you can call and ask, but it may be worth a try...unless another tugger can verify that the rep can't/won't be able to tell you the view prior to the trade.

Thanks; very helpful. We had (now have) a 1 bdrm OV at MOC and I saw that there was a 2 bdrm retrade available (I am working from here and it would have been handy) but I didn't want to take a chance on giving up the OV.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks; very helpful. We had (now have) a 1 bdrm OV at MOC and I saw that there was a 2 bdrm retrade available (I am working from here and it would have been handy) but I didn't want to take a chance on giving up the OV.
You're welcome. I recently retraded a 2BR at Nanea for a 2BR at MOC Napili. As luck would have it, it was an OF unit. I gifted it to a friend that is leaving Oahu next month. They had a phenomenal 3rd floor OF unit. I wish I could have gone with them!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

If you get a willing rep they can provide you the code, particularly if you are calling in to make the trade.

I’d have the Marriott Maui Interval room code chart handy aa the rep was telling me about two units and I didn’t recognize either code

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
@TXTortoise that's great news. I'll have to remember that next time.