• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Laguna Mar Visit

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, We are looking forward to going to the Westin Lagunamar in March.
Any insider info that would help us enjoy the week? We are 3 generation family, the kids are 9 & 11. I won't tell you my age:)
What is like walking around the area? Are there grocery stores for milk & eggs. Local restaurants, excursions.

Not much to ask! Thanks, Maria

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a grocery store a short walk called Soriana. There is a nicer grocery store a short bus ride called Selecto Chedraui.

Or you can user Uber eats app to have groceries delivered from either store or Costco.

Lots of restaurants across the street in La Isla mall or within a short walk. The local bus is very easy 12 pesos per ride if you need to go further.

Last edited:

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a grocery store a short walk called Soriana. There is a nicer grocery store a short bus ride called Selecto Chedraui.

Or you can user Uber eats app to have groceries delivered from with store or Costco.

Lots of restaurants across the street in La Isla mall or within a short walk. The local bus is very easy 12 pesos per ride if you need to go further.
Terrific advice. Thank you.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Airport transfers and excursions: I was happy with Cancun Shuttle. Cheap and efficient. If you book an airport transfer with them, they also included a full day cenote trip for free, which was quite good. A catch: on the cenote tour, they stop for an hour at an overpriced souvenir shop on they way - that's how they can offer the tour for free. But you don't have to buy anything.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you arrive at the Cancun airport (past customs) you'll be "greeted" by a bunch of people who look official - like they are part of the Cancun tourism board waiting to help you. AVOID. They are going to try to sell you a timeshare. Just say no thanks and move along.

Watford

Reaction score
Any insider info that would help us enjoy the week? We are 3 generation family, the kids are 9 & 11. I won't tell you my age:)
What is like walking around the area? Are there grocery stores for milk & eggs. Local restaurants, excursions.

The Soriana grocery store is a short walk away and has everything you need at a reasonable price.
We always take our carry on bags with us as it makes the return trip easier!
Lots of restaurants just across the street but be careful crossing as the traffic goes extremely fast especially the busses.
A trip to Isla Mujeres is a pleasant day out ... so is a trip to Chichen Itza but that can be a long hot day.

johnnyrolls1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe, Marriott Fairway Villas
Airport transfers and excursions: I was happy with Cancun Shuttle. Cheap and efficient. If you book an airport transfer with them, they also included a full day cenote trip for free, which was quite good. A catch: on the cenote tour, they stop for an hour at an overpriced souvenir shop on they way - that's how they can offer the tour for free. But you don't have to buy anything.
Is Cancun Shuttle the one recommended by Lagunamar? I have seen notices that recommend to avoid travel to Cancun due to violence. Is it safe to go to Cancun at this time?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Is Cancun Shuttle the one recommended by Lagunamar? I have seen notices that recommend to avoid travel to Cancun due to violence. Is it safe to go to Cancun at this time?
The media will always highlight violence in Mexico. We aren’t necessarily safer here, certain US cities even have high crime and are on other countries’ travel warnings. Just be smart, always vigilant, and don’t make yourself a target. Lagunamar is very safe.

johnnyrolls1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe, Marriott Fairway Villas
The media will always highlight violence in Mexico. We aren’t necessarily safer here, certain US cities even have high crime and are on other countries’ travel warnings. Just be smart, always vigilant, and don’t make yourself a target. Lagunamar is very safe.
Thank you

bajohnsons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WLR
The transportation company recommended by Lagunamar, with a desk in the lobby, is called The One. They've always been very reliable for us and I like an in-person contact at the resort. We've used USA Transfers in the past which was also great. They are similarly priced. Others have their favorites. YMMV as they say.

Calba205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista x 2
I was just there in January with my family and it was our 3rd or 4th time since 2019. We feel completely safe exploring the local restaurants across the street at La Isla mall and within about a mile walk. We’ve never gone further than Ruth’s Chris. We have not tried shuttles, buses or any excursions so I cannot comment on that. If you need a taxi, I suggest having the resort call one for you and any restaurant call your taxi for the return. There is currently a dispute going on between Uber drivers and taxis. As someone else said, speak to no one inside the airport. Head outside and find The One transportation company. My best recommendation for the kids would be to find out the times that the trainers are working with the dolphins at the Aquarium across the street and schedule breakfast at Jugo de Limon during that time. They have tables overlooking the dolphin swim area and the kids can watch them do their tricks from the table. There are some really good and very reasonably priced Mexican restaurants at the mall. If anyone in your group wants to get away for an adult dinner, I highly recommend Taboo and Cenacolo. Both are walking distance. Enjoy!

aimersyo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex

Can't help you much, we will also be there for the first time the 2nd week of march, with our 9 year old son. Hope there are plenty of kids to play with.

We booked our airport transfer through the concierge, The One was the company, seemed relatively reasonable. We booked 2 excursions that were highly rated on tripadvisor. One was to Chichen Itza, followed by a dip in a cenote and a stope in a cute colonial town. The other one is a snorkel expedition that stops at a shipwreck. Can't tell you yet how good they are but they had good reviews.

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just there in January with my family and it was our 3rd or 4th time since 2019. We feel completely safe exploring the local restaurants across the street at La Isla mall and within about a mile walk. We’ve never gone further than Ruth’s Chris. We have not tried shuttles, buses or any excursions so I cannot comment on that. If you need a taxi, I suggest having the resort call one for you and any restaurant call your taxi for the return. There is currently a dispute going on between Uber drivers and taxis. As someone else said, speak to no one inside the airport. Head outside and find The One transportation company. My best recommendation for the kids would be to find out the times that the trainers are working with the dolphins at the Aquarium across the street and schedule breakfast at Jugo de Limon during that time. They have tables overlooking the dolphin swim area and the kids can watch them do their tricks from the table. There are some really good and very reasonably priced Mexican restaurants at the mall. If anyone in your group wants to get away for an adult dinner, I highly recommend Taboo and Cenacolo. Both are walking distance. Enjoy!
Thankyou so much, you really gave thought to my request. My Grands will be thrilled at the "Dolphin Breakfast."
Can't help you much, we will also be there for the first time the 2nd week of march, with our 9 year old son. Hope there are plenty of kids to play with.

We booked our airport transfer through the concierge, The One was the company, seemed relatively reasonable. We booked 2 excursions that were highly rated on tripadvisor. One was to Chichen Itza, followed by a dip in a cenote and a stope in a cute colonial town. The other one is a snorkel expedition that stops at a shipwreck. Can't tell you yet how good they are but they had good reviews.
We went to Cichen Itza it was wonderful. We have planned to go to Tulum this time.
Sounds like ships in the night. We will be later in the month. We have a 9 & 11 year grands and staying at the westin.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

We did that same trip to Chichen Iza but left our girls behind as they were a bit older than your son. It was a nice day out but it might be a long day for a 9 year old. If I remember rightly the 'cute colonial town' is a stop off at a place trying to sell souvenirs.

We had quite an experience on the public bus from outside the resort to Costco/Walmart involving armed police. I thought it was a good life experience for our girls who were teenagers at the time but it must have left it's mark on them as they vowed never to go back to Cancun :giggle:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We did that same trip to Chichen Iza but left our girls behind as they were a bit older than your son. It was a nice day out but it might be a long day for a 9 year old. If I remember rightly the 'cute colonial town' is a stop off at a place trying to sell souvenirs.
We did this on our last trip, for the second time and it is probably our last. It is certainly recommended for everyone, but it is a long drive and Chichen Itza as grand as it is, is also a big tourist trap filled with people hawking "souvenir". Every one of them asking you to come over and take a look. The "colonial town" was Valladolid and then there was another stop for lunch at a cooperative selling local made Mayan things. I found the food to be pretty tasty too. All the tacos I could eat! I did a vlog video on my channel very early on showing our experience.

Last edited:

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
We did an excursion that took us to Tulum, then snorkeling, then a village for a delicious lunch, zip line and cenote swim. We had the van all to ourselves just us and the kids. I don’t remember the company we booked it with but it was very nice. In addition to the restaurants at the mall I recommended Porfirio’s. It’s upscale Mexican. If you go don’t miss the churro cart for dessert.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We did an excursion that took us to Tulum, then snorkeling, then a village for a delicious lunch, zip line and cenote swim. We had the van all to ourselves just us and the kids. I don’t remember the company we booked it with but it was very nice. In addition to the restaurants at the mall I recommended Porfirio’s. It’s upscale Mexican. If you go don’t miss the churro cart for dessert.
Sounds like Alltournative. We took that same tour. Enjoyed it very much. The food was great.

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We had quite an experience on the public bus from outside the resort to Costco/Walmart involving armed police. I thought it was a good life experience for our girls who were teenagers at the time but it must have left it's mark on them as they vowed never to go back to Cancun :giggle:
I can't thank you enough for your transparency. We took a local bus years ago and enjoyed the trip. We probably would have taken a chance!