• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Desert Willow resale advice

samelli

Reaction score
Hi all! I first came on here when I purchased a $15,000 of Westin points at Westin Desert Willow Villas. I read a lot on this site and was super grateful for all the advice, and canceled it. :)

I am now ready to buy a resale!

I am interested in purchasing a resale, Gold/Gold Plus, floating week, annual, 2 bedroom lockoff unit at Westin Desert Willow Villas.

[solicitation redacted]
2. What should I know about buying a resale (specifically at this resort, I have combed through all the TUG general FAQs!)
3. Are SMTN and Redweek reputable places to purchase from?

I know I won't be able to exchange as easily as buying points from the developer, but I really liked the resort and would definitely stay there again 1x a year. What are the pros and cons of purchasing a resale, and any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As you know, you won't be able to use StarOptions on resale. That is the biggest drawback. That said, you really should just look at buying a mandatory resale week at a resort that comes with StarOptions. I would think Westin Desert Willow is pretty easy to book with StarOptions at eight months just about any time of the year except peak winter weeks in February and March and certain holidays. You could pick up a Sheraton Vistana Villages that is going to have a lower maintenance fee and can book those same weeks with the same number of StarOptions. This would then give you the flexibility of VSN vs having to trade via II and pay the II membership and exchange fees instead of just the one VSN fee.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Pros and Cons:

Desert Willow is a nice timeshare and the lockoff splits into two 1-BR units rather than a 1 BR and an efficiency. (Pro)
The Desert Willow maintenance fee seems high to me (Con)
I am uncertain if owning a Westin gets any preference period in Marriott through Interval International. It probably has some preference when exchanging into other Westins.

samelli

Reaction score
As you know, you won't be able to use StarOptions on resale. That is the biggest drawback. That said, you really should just look at buying a mandatory resale week at a resort that comes with StarOptions. I would think Westin Desert Willow is pretty easy to book with StarOptions at eight months just about any time of the year except peak winter weeks in February and March and certain holidays. You could pick up a Sheraton Vistana Villages that is going to have a lower maintenance fee and can book those same weeks with the same number of StarOptions. This would then give you the flexibility of VSN vs having to trade via II and pay the II membership and exchange fees instead of just the one VSN fee.
Appreciate this! Maybe I'm old school, but the points system seems like the scam of their timeshare pitch and end up being hard to use. Is this a viable option to what you're suggesting? "44,000 Vistana Sheraton Flex Points"

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Appreciate this! Maybe I'm old school, but the points system seems like the scam of their timeshare pitch and end up being hard to use. Is this a viable option to what you're suggesting? "44,000 Vistana Sheraton Flex Points"
There is a big difference between a mandatory resale deed and Sheraton Flex. Don't go with Sheraton Flex, you won't be able to use that at Westin Desert Willow. Don't buy Westin Flex. You want to buy a deeded week at a mandatory resort. Did you see this mentioned in any of the FAQ stickies you read at the top of the forum?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Westin Desert Willow is a beautiful timeshare and cheap to buy resale for a platinum season week. I would only buy Platinum (I did buy an EOY platinum, actually).

II and Marriott (formerly Vistana) allow me to deposit my week to receive back a blended trading power for platinum season for my lockoff unit. I don't have to pay $95 to lock off, like I do with Marriott, and my trading power was exceptional until lately.

The drawbacks:
Trading power is down over the last few months in II but may improve. Not sure if it will, but I am hoping.
You cannot book a specific week to deposit and can only get the blended trading power (Makes me crazy after the recent drop in trading power)
The fees are pretty high, even higher than Marriott's Shadow Ridge, which I can book a specific week, I can lock it off for $95 and deposit high TP weeks to II. Much better choice.

What would I do, if I had about $17K lying around? I would buy Westin Kierland 148,000 Mandatory Options (platinum season 2 bed lockoff) and use it for booking within Westin. Fees are lower and it's never going to lose its value as a mandatory resort. There is nothing Marriott can do to ruin that product, but they would sure love to take away resale owners' rights. They cannot. It's a great value for the money.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you want to go to Desert Willow at least half of the time, buy Desert Willow -- annual or eoy as appropriate and definitely buy a high season week.

If you want to stay at Westin resorts other than Desert Willow at least some of the time, buy Kierland plat+ as @rickandcindy23 suggests.

I agree with @dioxide45 -- neither flex product is appropriate for your purposes (and in my mind, appropriate for anyone only in very, very limited circumstances).