• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa or The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort

Volcom32001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast Villas(x2)
Marriott Grand Chateau(x2)
HGVC BLVD(x2)
Hello,
I'm trying to plan a family vacation in October to The Big Island Hawaii and book with bonVoy points. Both Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa and The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort cost the same amount. For those who have knowledge or stayed at these resorts, which would you prefer? Which would you prefer for young kids(1yr old and 3yr old.)? Thanks

TSKing

Reaction score
The Westin at Hapuna Beach is fabulous! The beach is noted to be one of the best! The restaurant there also is great! But I believe the Marriott to be more family friendly. That's not to say I haven't seen families at the Westin, I have. I have stayed at the Marriott timeshare portion, and if you can get a one bedroom villa there, they are great, and you will have more space. An upgrade to a suite at Westin Hapuna is rather difficult I believe. I am just a single person so I haven't really scrutinized the family oriented facilities where I stay, I'm sorry to say. Just can give you the overview. Oh, the Marriott is more conveniently located to restaurants and shops across the street so definitely a plus plus especially for a family. The Westin is rather secluded and about a 10 minute drive from the shopping area by the Marriott.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I haven't stayed at either, so can't talk about the quality of the resort. But I echo the comment about Hapuna Beach being the best on the island. However, the resort is it, nothing walkable from there. The Marriott, while the beach at A-Bay isn't as nice, does have the King's and and Queen's shopping centers which offer more restaurant choices and some shopping.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha. We stayed at both this past November. Thanksgiving week at Hapuna and the following week at Waikoloa (the timeshare not the hotel section). We have been staying at Waikoloa since they opened the timeshare wings several years ago, probably 6-7 times. First time staying at Hapuna. Had a great time. Personnel were great. Restaurants were excellent. Enjoyed eating at all of them. Hapuna Beach is gorgeous. There are lots of stairs up and down to the beach. It was a lot for our "old" knees! (In our seventies)! But it was all good. There is a ramp to avoid all of the stairs. The kid's pool is big and only a short walk to the beach. An adult pool up a couple levels. The views are terrific! I don't know about children's activities at Hapuna. I know Waikoloa has children's activities. Waikoloa is beach level. Not lots of stairs. A pool slide is always fun. Great sunset views. A good beach with lots of activities.
Waikoloa has both hotel rooms and timeshare rooms. Having the extra room of the timeshare and the partial kitchen is better for us rather than the hotel rooms.
Let us know which you choose!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Haven't been to the Westin, but I believe Waikoloa has a shallow sandy pool for the young ones.