• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VB's Ocean Key Vs. OC's Ocean Time

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Looking to TUG for advice. Slightly more than the typical mid-Atlantic Ocean City (OC) Vs. Virginia Beach (VB) dilemma.

It is moderately hard to book a prime summer 2BR timeshare in both places for the same long weekend. I need to cancel one by the end of tomorrow to get a full RCI refund.

I had planned to book a 2BR Ocean Key unit at VB right at midnight last night when it opened up under the 10-month RCI Points window for Friday 6/16/23 through Tuesday 6/20/23 to use for a long weekend beach trip the first weekend my kids are out of school with the Juneteenth Federal holiday being recognized the following Monday.

I had the 2BR Ocean Key unit in my cart, and the RCI Points website crashed before I could check out. I was worried I lost it, so I looked to see if any 2BR was available in OC. I managed to book the same dates at Ocean Time. My original Ocean Key reservation eventually came back (took about 45 minutes, despite what is supposed to be a 15-minute hold for something in a cart) and after some more hassle I now have it booked as well.

I really would like to try Ocean Time (or any OC TS with a good location). But the $85 cleaning fee (in addition to the $85 resort fee if the RCI description is to be believed) in addition to not having an indoor pool if it rains is why I originally prioritized Ocean Key.

Ocean Key costs 33,600 RCI points versus 22,080 for Ocean Time. Ocean Key will have a $64 cleaning fee and no resort fee. I have stayed at Ocean Key on 3 previous trips and liked it. I have been to Ocean City before (and am familiar with it generally) but have never stayed at Ocean Time.

What would fellow Tuggers suggest? Am I missing something if I do not check out Ocean Time?

Last edited:

KLC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Looking to TUG for advice. Slightly more than the typical mid-Atlantic Ocean City (OC) Vs. Virginia Beach (VB) dilemma.

It is moderately hard to book a prime summer 2BR timeshare in both places for the same long weekend. I need to cancel one by the end of tomorrow to get a full RCI refund.

I had planned to book a 2BR Ocean Key unit at VB right at midnight last night when it opened up under the 10-month RCI Points window for Friday 6/16/23 through Tuesday 6/20/23 to use for a long weekend beach trip the first weekend my kids are out of school with the Juneteenth Federal holiday being recognized the following Monday.

I had the 2BR Ocean Key unit in my cart, and the RCI Points website crashed before I could check out. I was worried I lost it, so I looked to see if any 2BR was available in OC. I managed to book the same dates at Ocean Time. My original Ocean Key reservation eventually came back (took about 45 minutes, despite what is supposed to be a 15-minute hold for something in a cart) and after some more hassle I now have it booked as well.

I really would like to try Ocean Time (or any OC TS with a good location). But the $85 cleaning fee (in addition to the $85 resort fee if the RCI description is to be believed) in addition to not having an indoor pool if it rains is why I originally prioritized Ocean Key.

Ocean Key costs 33,600 RCI points versus 22,080 for Ocean Time. Ocean Key will have a $64 cleaning fee and no resort fee. I have stayed at Ocean Key on 3 previous trips and liked it. I have been to Ocean City before (and am familiar with it generally) but have never stayed at Ocean Time.

What would fellow Tuggers suggest? Am I missing something if I do not check out Ocean Time?

I've never been to Ocean City (and I'm not an owner) but I have been to Virginia Beach's oceanfront. Which one costs less? Which one is closer to drive to? I would recommend comparing those two items and go from there.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

We stayed at Ocean Time a few years ago and liked it a lot. Large clean unit and it's on the ocean side of the Coastal Highway, so the beach is right there. And we had a balcony where we could see the water. If you love Ocean City, it's a nice place to stay.

Are you sure they don't have an indoor pool? There are pictures of an indoor pool on most sites. I think guests have access to the indoor pool somewhere nearby.

We're supposed to go to Virginia Beach for the first time next year, so I can't really compare the two. But we love Ocean City and we would be happy to stay at Ocean Time again.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I've never been to Ocean City (and I'm not an owner) but I have been to Virginia Beach's oceanfront. Which one costs less? Which one is closer to drive to? I would recommend comparing those two items and go from there.

The cost stuff I have is in the thread. I called Ocean Time and there is only one $85 fee. (The management company was critical of RCI on how hard it is to update listings.

The OC location is a 3 hr 5 minute drive. VB is 3hr 30 minutes. Traffic can and does often snarl either drive. I am fine on making the OC vs. VB decision myself .... mostly it is a discussion of the two properties from my perspective. I am more than fine with either city/location.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I always get confused between Ocean Time (very nice, we really liked it) and Sea Time (not nice, we didn't like it). They are pretty much next door to each other--in fact I think the indoor pool that Ocean Time gives access to is the one at Sea Time.

Were you able to ask the Ocean Time people about access to an indoor pool?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I asked for everyone’s advice on A and B …. then I went with C. I cancelled both of the reservations discussed above.

When looking around on the RCI website I saw the same days available at “the Quarters” RCI #1434 in Ocean City.

I decided to go with it mainly because I like it’s location (further South) in OC better, it has a pool, and it also has an RCI “hospitality” level designation.

It will cost 30,720 in points and has a resort fee of $75.00. I was surprised to see it available for short stays in points, I had thought it was a quarter share.

Ocean Key was probably the safe bet, but I look forward to checking it out and hopefully having a bit more space and a full kitchen.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The cost stuff I have is in the thread. I called Ocean Time and there is only one $85 fee. (The management company was critical of RCI on how hard it is to update listings.

The OC location is a 3 hr 5 minute drive. VB is 3hr 30 minutes. Traffic can and does often snarl either drive. I am fine on making the OC vs. VB decision myself .... mostly it is a discussion of the two properties from my perspective. I am more than fine with either city/location.
I booked 2 weeks at Ocean Time last night (while currently staying at 2 Weeks at Ocean Key 2 BR). Access to the beach is the same. June 16 weekend, I think the ocean water will be too cold to swim at both places. I like that you have easy access to the boardwalk in VB. Ocean Time gives you access to the indoor pool next door at the Waves or at least they did. The pool at Ocean Key is often crowded and very loud. I generally don't use the pool at either. For a longer stay I like the full kitchen at Ocean Time and the ability to open up the balcony to rid yourself of kitchen or other kinds of smells. I like the crabs and seafood better in Ocean City. Even with traffic Ocean City is 1.0-2.5 hours quicker. I left at 9:00pm on a Saturday night and it still took 4.5 hrs to get to VB due to an accident near Lorton.

KLC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Well, I asked for everyone’s advice on A and B …. then I went with C. I cancelled both of the reservations discussed above.

When looking around on the RCI website I saw the same days available at “the Quarters” RCI #1434 in Ocean City.

I decided to go with it mainly because I like it’s location (further South) in OC better, it has a pool, and it also has an RCI “hospitality” level designation.

It will cost 30,720 in points and has a resort fee of $75.00. I was surprised to see it available for short stays in points, I had thought it was a quarter share.

Ocean Key was probably the safe bet, but I look forward to checking it out and hopefully having a bit more space and a full kitchen.

Great! Sounds like a winner. Enjoy!!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to your review of the Quarters!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
June 16 weekend, I think the ocean water will be too cold to swim at both places.

While sometimes colder than we would like, we have for the last three years gone to Virginia Beach the weekend earlier than this and always swam.

I want to say the water most recently was around 73 degrees.

I was a bit surprised on a map how much further north OC is than VB … hopefully it will work out for us to swim some.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Today the ocean was 75 in Virginia Beach. I took a day trip to Nags Head yesterday. The ocean temp was 75.5 there so not really any warmer. Both were a bit chilly but not terrible, IMO. I think it is going to be closer to 70 mid June. But boy the waves were crazy rough in Nags Head. Pretty to look at and listen to but too rough to fight with if you wanted to stay upright.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today the ocean was 75 in Virginia Beach. I took a day trip to Nags Head yesterday. The ocean temp was 75.5 there so not really any warmer. Both were a bit chilly but not terrible, IMO. I think it is going to be closer to 70 mid June. But boy the waves were crazy rough in Nags Head. Pretty to look at and listen to but too rough to fight with if you wanted to stay upright.

For weekend trips, OC and VB are good enough. If we have a week to vacation in the summer, we are headed to SC beaches (HHI in recent years). Jelly fish got us at Coligny (HHI) this year ... but we moved to another beach and had no further incidents.