• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Internationale Information Guide update!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
on my list to update this article that hasnt been touched in 10 years.

any VI owners offer some suggestions or alterations? or has this system fundamentally changed and none of this applies anymore?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Most of this is still valid.

Updates:
Take out any reference to Maid points and replace with Reservation fee. This is a $20 fee at the time the reservations made.

Instant Exchange: The fee is now $145 per week. The points required are the same, but a 4 BR has been added at 154 points.

Exchange companies are both RCI and II.

The list of resorts has expanded with the recent addition of RAVC resorts:
Aloha Towers. Honolulu
Butterfield Park. Chandler AZ
Eagles Nest. Branson
Inn at Otter Crest: Otter Rock OR
Kauhale Makai. Kihei, Maui
Keauhou Kona Surf and Racquet Club. Kailua-Kona, HI
Tahoe Trail. Stateline, NV
Waikiki Skytower. Honolulu

There may be others; the list of resorts is at https://www.viresorts.com/resorts/index.html

The 2021-22 operating fund cost is $7.98/point.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The direct exchange option ( deo) cost has increased to $145 and they do not accept all weeks from other resorts. I always call or email before reserving a week that I plan to place in the deo.

I didn't realize some of the VI benefits until I read this article. We have met owners at some of the resorts that are Platinum owners but are also something else like Legacy owners who were the first to buy in.

Many of the VI resorts are older but in decent condition. Because they are older often times the location is in a place that would not be "permittable" today. Shoreline regulations and zoning wasn't as big a deal 50 years ago. I like the locations.

Bob Burns was the co-founder.

Bill

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @TUGBrian Brian, @sue1947 and @easyrider for bring this up.

I am considering a VI ownership myself and as such, I have few questions that may be added to the article. Since I am not familiar with all the terms (I own Worldmark and Marriott), some of it sounds confusing. The table in the article is nice to give an idea of benefits but most expressions are undefined. What is a hot week. Is it a red week.

It will be very helpful if after the table, you add explanation to every line used as much as possible.

My questions are more for II How does VI trade with II and how do you compare it with Worldmark.

Can you do instant II exchange, How strong is VI compared to Worldmark in II. Does it matter if you are within the 45 days for flex change. What are the points deducted from your account. Can you do a deposit first or space banking. What is the exchange fee $209 as usual.

For RCI, does it work as points system or weeks. Can you do instant exchange too.

Also is the reservation fee refundable if you cancel the reservation. Can you modify a reservation or it will be another fee. I ask this as I change my mind all the time.

TIA

Sam

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
awesome, will incorporate the above changes...thank you!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hot weeks are deo weeks that are getting close to check in. I copied part of what is available today regarding hot weeks.

Bill

Hot Weeks Availability
Check out VI's Instant Exchange Hot Weeks. Book within 45 days of travel, pay the discounted fee, and get away for LESS!
Last Update: 9/7/2021 2:48:07 PM
12 rooms found
Mexico and Latin America
(1)
USA - Florida
(1)
USA - Hawaii and South Pacific
(1)
USA - Northeast
(1)
USA - Rocky Mountains
(3)
USA - Southwest
(5)
Exchange Fees
Offer valid on 7-night Instant Exchange weeks.
Instant Exchanges, including Hot Weeks, are non-refundable, non-cancelable, non-changeable (including name changes).
Unit TypeCost per week
Studio$310
1 Bdrm$410
2 Bdrm$510
3 Bdrm$610
4 Bdrm$710

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My questions are more for II How does VI trade with II and how do you compare it with Worldmark.

I use SFX for VI exchanges. With SFX I reserve a week that they want and usually get an extra week. I like Worldmark better than VI. We bought a VI with 8 years left on the rtu and I was looking for another short rtu just to extend my ability to use VI for a few more years. Our membership ends in 2022 but continues until our points are used up by 2024.

Both systems have pro's and con's. In VI there are many members that will make huge reservations to be at a certain resort in a certain time for personal use. Commercial use is prohibited so a member does have a better shot at a reservation. Waitlisting a room you want gives you an edge over others regarding reservations but it does cost a bit.

Bill

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I am considering a VI ownership myself and as such, I have few questions that may be added to the article. Since I am not familiar with all the terms (I own Worldmark and Marriott), some of it sounds confusing. The table in the article is nice to give an idea of benefits but most expressions are undefined. What is a hot week. Is it a red week.
Hot weeks are the leftovers at 45 days. Anybody who owns another timeshare can deposit a week with VI. As with anything else, the good stuff goes quickly. I think the new rules around guest certificates in WM has greatly reduced the number of WM units available, but there are still some.

It will be very helpful if after the table, you add explanation to every line used as much as possible.
For a resale owner, ignore most of the table. It's for higher levels of ownership and much of it was new to me.
I haven't done any trades using VI, but VI deposits seem to be strong traders in II. The low season weeks seem similar to a WM upper blue deposit. They mostly deposit 1 BR or studios with 2BR deposits a very rare occurrence. The owner website is down right now so I can't look up the procedures.
Can you do instant II exchange, How strong is VI compared to Worldmark in II. Does it matter if you are within the 45 days for flex change. What are the points deducted from your account. Can you do a deposit first or space banking. What is the exchange fee $209 as usual.

For RCI, does it work as points system or weeks. Can you do instant exchange too.

Also is the reservation fee refundable if you cancel the reservation. Can you modify a reservation or it will be another fee. I ask this as I change my mind all the time.
The reservation fee is not refundable. This seems to keep the rental market down.

TIA

Sam

Bottom line: VI is a well run, independent timeshare company. There are sales, but they actually take 'no' for an answer. It's pretty simple. You make a reservation and pay the $20 fee. Cancellation is 30 days out unless you buy insurance which costs $45. Some resorts are totally VI and some just partial, i.e. they may only own a few weeks. Let me know what resorts you are interested in and I can tell you how difficult it is to get into.
WM has more resorts, but VI treats their owners much, much better.
Sue

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The only additional thing I would note is they seem to be rebranding as VI Resorts.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WM has more resorts, but VI treats their owners much, much better.

WM resorts are usually nicer than VI resorts. There are a few VI resorts that are pretty nice but most VI resorts are older and haven't been refurnished for a time. I haven't noticed a big difference between how we are treated other than at a presentation. The Wyndham presentation is worse than the VI presentation but both kind of stink, imo.

These are just a few reasons I'm not planning on extending our membership with VI once the rtu expires.

Bill

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All.

So does VI exchange with II. If so how does that work (points based or weeks based) Can you book a week and deposit it. Can I do instant exchange and II takes the points from my account. If so how many points.

How easy is to book Rosedale in Vancouver.

Also how easy is Hawaii Royal Kuhio and fairway villas to get into.

TIA.

Sam

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both systems have pro's and con's. In VI there are many members that will make huge reservations to be at a certain resort in a certain time for personal use. Commercial use is prohibited so a member does have a better shot at a reservation. Waitlisting a room you want gives you an edge over others regarding reservations but it does cost a bit.

Bill

So you can book the entire month out like July 1-31. Can you send your kids. Can they be listed on the membership or only 2 people like WM.

When you say Commercial use is not permitted, what does it entail. Cannot send any one else. I do not think the resorts are high end to rent out.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you can book the entire month out like July 1-31. Can you send your kids. Can they be listed on the membership or only 2 people like WM.

When you say Commercial use is not permitted, what does it entail. Cannot send any one else. I do not think the resorts are high end to rent out.

Yes, you can book as many days as you have points at 12 months out. For us, I can check in and my wife can check in for the same week in different units just like WM. For others to check in you need a guests name on the reservation. I should know how much the guest pass is because I have placed guests names on reservations at VI. I think its about $30 - $35.

Regarding commercial use. here is the bylaw. Trading and exchanging are for personal use but renting for profit might be a grey area depending on what the deal is. Yes, you can get a guest pass for a reservation. I'm not exactly certain where the line is regarding commercial use.

ARTICLE VII - PROHIBITION AGAINST COMMERICAL USE
The VI Program is intended, and may be used, only for personal, family or household purposes. Use of the VI Program for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. The Board of Directors may suspend or terminate the membership of any Member who knowingly and repeatedly violates this Article VII or any rules or regulations promulgated with respect thereto.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
So does VI exchange with II. If so how does that work (points based or weeks based) Can you book a week and deposit it. CAn I do instant exchange and II takes the points from my account. If so how many points.
I haven't done an exchange with VI, but reading through the info on the website, it is request first with points deducted after the match is made. in addition, they give what sounds like an AC with each exchange.
"Upon a qualifying exchange confirmation (up to one per year), Interval will deposit a certificate directly into your Interval account. The certificate will be valid for 12 months and carry a redemption fee."

There's a 50% reduction in points at 30 days out.

With RCI: it's Points:
  • 1 VI Point = 420 RCI Points
  • VI Points will be deducted from your account only AFTER you have confirmed an RCI exchange.
  • Most RCI Weeks resorts reservations = 22.5 VI Points or less when booked within 30 days of arrival.

Both Rosedale and Royal Kuhio both seem to be easy to book. Weekends are harder, of course, but there is availability in both for this month. VI books a year out and both have plenty of availability.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
incorporated many of the suggestions above, will need to work on the table to make it more readable.

(also added the discussion link directly to this thread as it contains some really good info!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
table should be fixed and display properly (and much more readable now)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not this is worth including in the article. But I'll throw it in.

There was a period time when Sunterra (acquired by Diamond Resorts) was the resort manager and Sunterra was upselling VRI owners to join Club Sunterra. Consequently, certain amount of VRI became part of Club Sunterra, and when Diamond Resorts acquired Club Sunterra, that inventory became part of the the Diamond Club. With Hilton acquiring Diamond, that inventory will now pass through to Hilton.

The amount of inventory is not huge, but we have used that inventory on several occasions to do three or four day stays at Sea Mountain in Hawaii, at one of the Kahana area resorts on Maui, and at Clocktower in Whistler. The availability is limited, and when we have seen availability, for the locales and times of interest to us the available stays have been three to four nights only.

With the VI inventory in Diamond, we have found the point values in Diamond to be consistent with the size and nature. That is a significant contrast with Diamond "affiliated" resorts, such as Raintree Vacation Club.

For the average person, I suspect that the Diamond/Hilton interconnection will appear mostly as dots on a map showing resort locations, with little to no actual availabilit.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Yes, you can book as many days as you have points at 12 months out. For us, I can check in and my wife can check in for the same week in different units just like WM. For others to check in you need a guests name on the reservation. I should know how much the guest pass is because I have placed guests names on reservations at VI. I think its about $30 - $35.

There is no fee for guest use. You just put the guest name on the reservation. I'm pretty sure you can have multiple reservations at the same time. I'm planning a family gathering for October 2022 and will have 6 rooms. I don't think that's a problem. I've often seen people checking out of 3 to 5 rooms.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no fee for guest use. You just put the guest name on the reservation. I'm pretty sure you can have multiple reservations at the same time. I'm planning a family gathering for October 2022 and will have 6 rooms. I don't think that's a problem. I've often seen people checking out of 3 to 5 rooms.

We usually have a multiple unit reservation every year. We have a four unit reservation and a three unit reservation. We haven't had a problem checking in as long as my wife or I are checking into all of the rooms. This is a plus for VI.

I only remember one time that I changed a name on a reservation but I couldn't remember if there was a cost to change the name. This is another plus for VI.

Bill

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, I called VI and spoke to an owner care representative. Once he said his name, I recognized it as he used to work for Worldmark but moved to VI a year ago. He said few people from Worldmark moved to VI when they closed their office in Redmond. He also remembered me by name as we spoke often when I called Worldmark.

Once thing he stated is the benefits of Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum are only applicable if you buy directly from VI but not resale. Maybe there was an option to come via RAVC by buying one of their weeks,

Also does anyone have a points chart for the VI Waikiki resorts. If these are the same, we just need one of them for 1 & 2BR.

Thanks.

Sam

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure do.

OAHU, HAWAII
Royal Kuhio

1bd Maximum Occupancy 4

Prime December 15 - April 30 15

Choice July 1 - August 31 November 16 - December 14 13

Quiet May 1 - June 30 September 1 - November 15 11

OAHU, HAWAII
Fairway Villa Stu 1bd 2bd

Maximum Occupancy
3 4 4

Prime December 15 - April 30 11.5 15 18.5

Choice July 1 - August 31 November 16 - December 14 10 13 16

Quiet May 1 - June 30 September 1 - November 15 8.5 11 13.5

HONOLULU, OAHU, HAWAII
Waikiki Skytower
1bd
Maximum Occupancy4
Prime
December 15 - April 3015
Choice
July 1 - August 31
November 16 - December 1413
Quiet
May 1 - June 30
September 1 - November 1511

HONOLULU, OAHU, HAWAII
Aloha Towers
1bd2bd
Maximum Occupancy46
Prime
December 15 - April 301518.5
Choice
July 1 - August 31
November 16 - December 141316
Quiet
May 1 - June 30
September 1 - November 151113.5

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
to clarify Bill's post:
For Royal Kuhio: there are only 1 BR units. The number after the date is the cost per night for that season; i.e.15, 13 and 11 in Prime, Choice and Quiet season.
Fairway Villas have studio, 1 BR and 2 BR units. The 3 numbers after each date range are for the different sized units in order. i.e. in Prime season, a studio is 11.5 per night, a 1 BR 15 and a 2 BR 18.5.

These resorts cost the same for weekend and weekdays, but they differ for other resorts. For example, The Pines at Sunriver is cheaper midweek during Quiet season (spring and fall).

Looking at availability. There are 1 BR available for next early Sept (booking opens a year out). The 2 BR units are slim pickings.

There is the option to book at 390 days for a fee. This makes booking some spots really difficult. This looks like it is being used for late Sept at some of your list above.
Advance Reservation Wait List
What is an Advanced Reservation Wait List (ARWL)?

The ARWL is a request for a specific resort and unit size with both the arrival and departure dates falling within a 390-day window. Should your Advanced Reservation Wait List (ARWL) request be matched at 365 days and you confirm the reservation, you will be charged a $200 fee which includes your reservation Booking Fee. If you choose not to accept the match, you will be charged a $100 Decline Fee. Requests will be processed in the order they were received and matched against the available inventory at 365 days. Owners will be notified if the request is confirmed. If the request could not be confirmed at 365 days from the check-in date, it will remain on the waitlist for no additional fee and will continue to be matched against inventory from cancelled reservations.

Arrival date: This is the check-in day at the resort with an arrival time after 4 pm. (The check-out date cannot be more than 390 days from the day you make your ARWL).

Departure Date: This is the check-out day at the resort with a departure time before 11 am. The departure date may be no more than 390 days from the day you make your ARWL.

Keep in mind:

1. ARWL is a request, not a booking or reservation.
  2. You can make a request with a date of arrival more than a year out from today’s date, and the departure date within 390 days.
  3. ARWL requests are processed at 365 days from the arrival date, and are matched in the order they were created. If your ARWL matches an email or phone call will be sent on the first business day it matches. You are required to confirm your ARWL match by the date given in the automated phone call and email.
  4. If your plans change, be sure to cancel your ARWL reservation request as soon as possible (before your request matches) to avoid the decline fee. Advanced Reservation Wait List decline fee is $100 per request.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @easyrider and @sue1947.

From what I gathered Sue, there is no availability in the system for the above locations until early Sep which is 12 month out. For some locations, others may be using the 13 month advantage from RAVC or advanced booking. I was primarily interested in these locations for few days in Waikiki before or after KoOlina. So based on your search, that may not be easy Sue.

From my talk with the VI OC, he stated that I pay full value unless I am within 30 days from check-in which will make it 50% points value.

What is Exclusive Nightly Exchange.