• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Sunpass (other than in Florida) where EZ Pass is accepted........

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beginning back in June of 2021 one could use their EZ Pass in Florida. But, one CAN'T use their Sunpass in EZ Pass states UNLESS their transponder is the Sunpass PRO version.

The State of Florida will upgrade your existing Sunpass to the Sunpass PRO but it will cost you an additional $16.

I wanted to post this so to help Sunpass Transponder customers avoid non payment of toll issues when they head into those traditional northeast EZ Pass states using a traditional Sunpass Transponder. My advice would be to upgrade to the Sunpass PRO if you ever plan to travel out of State.

Enjoy your travels!

[Thread moved from Florida forum to TUG Lounge at poster's request]

Last edited by a moderator:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How much is an EZ Pass? And why would I, as a current Sunpass owner, not just get an EZ Pass, vs. a Sunpass PRO? Seems like an EZ Passs is a superset of Sunpass, so no need to have a Sunpass anymore. Or am I missing something?

Kurt

beejaybee

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Weirdly last summer when traveling the WVA Tpk, our EZpass, which needed a cc update, was not billed but our Sunpass on our windshield was!
Within a couple weeks we will be traveling in the same vehicle to FL which is fine for the Sunpass, but returning home we will be back on the WVA Tpk so I'm worried we may be double billed. What do Tuggers think about removing the Sunpass and just using EZPass?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would only have one in my car at any one time, personally.

As an aside, the Central Florida authority sells a single transponder that covers more or less everything in the eastern half of the US. I have one and it is very convenient. It is portable, so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle, including rental cars.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Beginning back in June of 2021 one could use their EZ Pass in Florida. But, one CAN'T use their Sunpass in EZ Pass states UNLESS their transponder is the Sunpass PRO version.

The State of Florida will upgrade your existing Sunpass to the Sunpass PRO but it will cost you an additional $16.

I wanted to post this so to help Sunpass Transponder customers avoid non payment of toll issues when they head into those traditional northeast EZ Pass states using a traditional Sunpass Transponder. My advice would be to upgrade to the Sunpass PRO if you ever plan to travel out of State.

Enjoy your travels!

I saw the sunpass pro in Publix this week. I already have an ez pass as I live in ny but I use my sunpass when in Florida. I was tempted to switch to sunpass pro but I’ll likely just bring the sunpass portable when I travel and keep my ez pass in my car in NYC

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We also have the portable older version of the sunpass that we used when having to rent a car when we flew to Orlando for our Disney trips. We drive now since relocating.....we brought both (the EZ pass is affixed to the car and the sunpass is kept in a foil pouch we received with our ez pass years ago (it prevents bring charged for a toll when you don’t want it to). We normally don’t pay any tolls any more...we take 95 to I-4 thru Orlando to Disney. However we knew that there is major construction on I-4 in Orlando (they are putting in Ez pass/sunpass only lanes similar to those thru DC) and we were not sure if they were ready yet (no they are not, but getting close as signage is up but covered over). Traffic was heavy but moving going into Disney at 1:00 in the afternoon.

We were leaving at 6 am for our return trip and I checked WAZE to make sure nothing was up.....she said we’d be home in the normal amount of time. Decided to check my Florida 511 app.....has traffic and cameras....eastbound lane closed on I-4 in the heart of Orlando, all 3 lanes blocked due to accident. So thank goodness I had previously printed out the alternate route directions rt 528 to 417 and up to Sanford. Smooth sailing the whole way.....we used the sunpass but just checked my account and was only charged for two tolls....I could have sworn we went through at least four. Now I’m worried that the new tolls they installed across the roadway only accepts the newer sunpass. I guess I’ll wait a few days and see if they show up. It happened sometimes with the rental.

Thanks for the heads up!