• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using HVAC and RCI questions

22travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG. 110 nights, 14 resorts, and 8 states. Wow.
OK. I'm not into social media at all (no FB, et.al) so I've never "followed" anyone, and frankly I'm not sure exactly what that means; but I hope it allows me easy access to your posts.

I was going back and forth between Worldmark and something converted to RCI points for our current needs. Reading on Tug, I had about decided on WorldMark because a) the simplicity of the system and b) the locations. Having read your post, I may go back to looking at RCI points because even with the membership and the reservation cost it seems like an incredible value (assuming you pick one with a good mf per thousand like Grandview). I just could not get a feel for what kind of inventory is available. We tend to travel shoulder seasons because we like to be home (Nashville area) during the summer for gardening and pool maintenance so I think RCI points may be the thing. I may do both.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim
HI, I'm a new member and a confused one!! I own with HiltonGVC - not the new Max level. I have used RCI once to get an exchange property near our son's house, and that is the limit of my use of RCI. We stayed at Massanutten, and were hit with the sales pitch, but I knew not to buy from them, thanks to TUG. But it did make me aware that the inventory I can see when I go to RCI from HGVC is limited, and if I had RCI points I would be able to go to a greater variety of places. Is that correct?? (staying within HGVC is pretty limited)

So my husband and I began wondering if we should buy resale with VV (or another?) that deals in RCI points. But I have lots of questions.
1. If I do buy resale, then would I have a separate RCI account with a direct login, that is different from my RCI account that I navigate to from HGVC?
2. Would I be able to combine the points from the two systems to reserve stays?
3. Is this even a good idea or is there a better way to explore a wider array of locales?

I am so overwhelmed that I'll just start with these questions. I am like a child - I need teaching. Sorry to be so needy, but I think this community will help me get up to speed. Thanks!!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
HI, I'm a new member and a confused one!! I own with HiltonGVC - not the new Max level. I have used RCI once to get an exchange property near our son's house, and that is the limit of my use of RCI. We stayed at Massanutten, and were hit with the sales pitch, but I knew not to buy from them, thanks to TUG. But it did make me aware that the inventory I can see when I go to RCI from HGVC is limited, and if I had RCI points I would be able to go to a greater variety of places. Is that correct?? (staying within HGVC is pretty limited)

So my husband and I began wondering if we should buy resale with VV (or another?) that deals in RCI points. But I have lots of questions.
1. If I do buy resale, then would I have a separate RCI account with a direct login, that is different from my RCI account that I navigate to from HGVC?
2. Would I be able to combine the points from the two systems to reserve stays?
3. Is this even a good idea or is there a better way to explore a wider array of locales?

I am so overwhelmed that I'll just start with these questions. I am like a child - I need teaching. Sorry to be so needy, but I think this community will help me get up to speed. Thanks!!

You would have two completely different types of accounts. You could not combine what you have in one account with the other account.

Each account would have a separate login in.

An RCI points account isn't free. You would have an annual membership fee. You can pay up to five years ahead and each additional year you pay for gets a larger discount.

You could buy something that exchanges in II, Interval International. That would give you access to the Marriott resorts. They're very nice. We own at a resort that allows us to exchange in both RCI and II. I've never deposited our week in II so have only looked at their Getaway Weeks. I haven't been impressed. RCI Last Call Weeks have a better selection and cost less.

22travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would have two completely different types of accounts. You could not combine what you have in one account with the other account.

An RCI points account isn't free. You would have an annual membership fee. You can pay up to five years ahead and each additional year you pay for gets a larger discount.

Thanks, Jan. I don't really understand about the membership fee. I thought that to get points in RCI I would have to buy a deeded property in VV (or another group) that has associated RCI points. My fees would be the MF on the property. I didn't realize that there is a separate membership fee.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW, the acronyms "HVAC" (in the title) and "HGVC" refer to different things.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
First, stop attending sales presentations
Second, don’t think about buying anything else until you understand what you currently own and how to use it.

If you truly own a HGVC resort then you already have online access to inventory in both RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS systems ;)

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
@22travel, this is important to know:
If you truly own a HGVC resort then you already have online access to inventory in both RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS systems ;)

Regarding RCI points:
if I had RCI points I would be able to go to a greater variety of places. Is that correct?? (staying within HGVC is pretty limited)

You already have access to RCI points and RCI weeks through your HGVC account. The units available are not specifically labeled, so if it is a 7 night stay it won't be obvious. However, if it is 6 nights or less with flexibility to change the length of stay, it is probably a trade through RCI points.

HGVC members do not pay separately for RCI. Access to RCI weeks and RCI points is included with the annual fee that is paid to HGVC. HGVC members don't have a personal RCI account; they have access to the one account held by HGVC.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
But it did make me aware that the inventory I can see when I go to RCI from HGVC is limited, and if I had RCI points I would be able to go to a greater variety of places. Is that correct?? (staying within HGVC is pretty limited)

There is (generally) very little limitation on what you can book through HGVC’s RCI portal versus an RCI Points account. There is an HGVC “quality filter” that sometimes defies common sense and keeps you from seeing some availability at (generally a small number) of resorts. If you know something is available in RCI and the quality filter is blocking it, you can call them and book it on the phone.

In my mind, the HGVC RCI “quality filter” is not enough of a reason to buy RCI. I own RCI points traders because they are (usually) more efficient at trading in RCI than HGVC properties and I wanted all of my HGVC points to trade in HGVC.

My recommendation is to spend time exploring the HGVC RCI portal. Use it a few times. If it starts to be a substantive part of your trading (how you use more than 1/3rds of your points or more than 1 trade a year … then it may then be worth thinking about getting an RCI trader.

If you ever wonder if HGVC’s RCI filter is keeping you from seeing stuff, message me or post on this thread what you are looking for … and I can look both ways and let you know.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

Regarding RCI points:

You already have access to RCI points and RCI weeks through your HGVC account. The units available are not specifically labeled, so if it is a 7 night stay it won't be obvious. However, if it is 6 nights or less with flexibility to change the length of stay, it is probably a trade through RCI points.

HGVC members do not pay separately for RCI. Access to RCI weeks and RCI points is included with the annual fee that is paid to HGVC. HGVC members don't have a personal RCI account; they have access to the one account held by HGVC.

That's correct. We own with Wyndham and they give us a free account. The big chains give you a free exchange account. With Marriott you get II, Interval International.

We also own point weeks at Grandview at Las Vegas and like many other resorts that points account isn't free.

22travel

TUG Member
Reaction score

Regarding RCI points:

Thank you for that info. I do get into RCI through HGVC and have used that to book a stay at Massanutten. But my understanding is that when I go in through HGVC and search for a destination, then I can see XX number of places to exchange and go to. But that XX number is limited, only some resorts are open for me to exchange. I understood that if I wanted access to a more complete set of properties that I would do well to have a property that dealt only in RCI points. Am I misinformed?

22travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that info. I do get into RCI through HGVC and have used that to book a stay at Massanutten. But my understanding is that when I go in through HGVC and search for a destination, then I can see XX number of places to exchange and go to. But that XX number is limited, only some resorts are open for me to exchange. I understood that if I wanted access to a more complete set of properties that I would do well to have a property that dealt only in RCI points. Am I misinformed?
I see that escanoe has already given some answer to this question. Sorry.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I understood that if I wanted access to a more complete set of properties that I would do well to have a property that dealt only in RCI points. Am I misinformed?

With an independent membership you'd get unfiltered access... meaning that you'd lower quality properties that do not meet HGVC's minimal standards. The filtered access that I see thru HGVC (both weeks+points) is sufficient for my purposes.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I could not disagree more with this assessment.

It is like someone selected what might have been 5% of resorts (perhaps lower quality?) in 1987 and that is still what is blocked today.

Seriously, as of today Sedona Summit Hilton Vacation Club and the Historic Powhatan Hilton Vacation Club are still blocked (after being incorporated into the Hilton system) because they are “not up to Hilton standards”???

Four Sails in Virginia Beach is also blocked. It is pretty good by VB standards (and certainly better than many in VB that are not filtered out.)

I never understood if it was really supposed to be a quality filter, why not do something like block everything that is not at least a “Hospitality level” in RCI?

I use RCI to book a lot in the mid-Atlantic region. There are perhaps 2 in the region that are blocked that I might want to book sometime.

And again, there is a work around for that. If you know there is availability you can call them up and a phone representative can override the block.

This is a small annoyance and is not a significant deal for 90% (or more) of the trading you may want to do on RCI. If you are looking for inventory in the HGVC RCI portal for a resort and none is available … it is way more likely simply none is available than it is this is the reason.

If there is a resort you are wondering abt, let me know and I can let you know what a regular RCI account shows.

With an independent membership you'd get unfiltered access... meaning lower quality properties that do not meet HGVC's minimal standards. The filtered access that I see thru HGVC (both weeks+points) is sufficient for my purposes.

Last edited:

22travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, now let me ask one more thing. If I have an independent RCI points account do I have a longer booking window than going through a HGVC?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for that info, now let me ask one more thing. If I have an independent RCI points account do I have a longer booking window than going through a HGVC?

No
NOTE: The only exception is the booking window to exchange back into HGVC resorts. With RCI weeks inventory, HGVC placed a booking window restrictions to 9 months (similar to the internal Club booking window).

RCI Weeks inventory can be available up to two years in advance (based on availability)
See example below with Red box highlighting search criteria for 2024 checkin dates.
NOTE: Only RCI WEEKS reservations can be placed on a temporary HOLD.

AC4BA6B5-4A65-4FB5-8C3E-775F1A06D23D.jpeg

RCI Points inventory can be available up to 10 months in advance (based on availability)
See example below. Red box highlighting RCI POINTS.

C98A3FCE-49CC-430A-94C8-9D95ED571F88.jpeg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For those who are not familiar with RCI…
In addition to the RCI exchange fee listed below, some RCI resorts may have additional fees (daily resort fee, daily parking fee, housekeeping fee, etc). The additional resort fees can be found under the RCI Resorts Detail tab (see example below).

06B707C1-0408-4C45-AC5B-844668F80818.jpeg
509465EB-58AB-4E6D-A76F-FE0F344FAB5B.jpeg