• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tulip bulbs

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
A friend gave me a very cool gift from Trader Joe's: a large glass vase with six tulip bulbs in water. The tulips bloomed in about a week and lasted about three weeks. They were gorgeous and it was fun to see them get bigger every day. The only instructions were to keep water in the vase just up to the bottom of the bulbs, which were on a little plastic stand at the bottom of the vase.

Now they are done blooming and I want to know what I can do with the bulbs to have them bloom again next year or plant them. My husband cut the flowers off at about mid-way up the stems. I've taken the bulbs out of the water and have left them just laying on a box in the garage to dry out.

What should I do with them now?

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
I love my tulips

After what can often be a cold winter, and after my nan king cherry tree is finished blooming, my lovely red tulips cheer up my days with their beautiful color.

Unfortunately, after a couple of weeks the flowers are done. The hard part is letting the leaves slowly wither, turn yellow and fade back to the ground. The last step is crucial because the leaves are storing up energy to the bulbs. Without that energy they will not rebloom the next year.

So I do not have faith that your bulbs can rebloom...so many of these store bought blooms are one offs...not designed for multiple blooms.

Good luck on this...perhaps some other tuggers can help you better than I can

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plant them were you want them. The bulbs have to go through the seasonal changes. The problem with tulips is they are best the first time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought these living bouquets several times. I have not had much success regrowing from the bulbs. They have to die back naturally to replenish the nutrients, then go through a dark freeze cycle- either outdoors or in your freezer. Then when a about a month before you want blooms, put the bulbs on that plastic stand and keep water to the base/midway up the bulbs in indirect light.

Google "pushing flower bulbs" for more info on it.

Honestly, it isn't worth the hassle for no more than these cost at TJ's or Costco in the Spring.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Honestly, it isn't worth the hassle for no more than these cost at TJ's or Costco in the Spring.

Jim
Thanks so much, Jim, raygo123, & spirits for your responses. I think I'll take your advice and dump them. They were fun while they lasted!:)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not live in NV.

Around here, Mother's Day gift of flowers with bulbs are enjoyed for the day and planted outside in a flower bed close to the house to avoid deer who like to eat the tasty bulbs.

If they come back and re bloom ... GREAT. If not, they feed some hungry critter.

PS While your flowers were NOT for Mother's Day .. it is the season.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that these types of forced bulbs won't bloom again but if you have a place to stick them in the ground, why not try?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you decide to plant them, if you have some bonemill, mix it into the hole, it will help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been doing some Google research and reading more, and I think it really will be too much of a hassle to try to get the bulbs to bloom again here in Nevada. I don't see many tulips blooming around here in people's yards now that I think of it.

There are a lot of blooming plants around, though, & roses seem to do really well. We have a hedge of gorgeous red bottle brush plants that are in full bloom now.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that these types of forced bulbs won't bloom again but if you have a place to stick them in the ground, why not try?
Ditto what Falmouth said.

Generally, hardy flower bulbs can only be forced (grown inside, out of season) once in the bulb's lifetime. And, tulip bulbs are very hard for homeowner to force, anyway, unless they have been commercially chilled.

Many years, I have bought 100 or more flower bulbs in the fall, just regular bulbs meant to be planted in the ground, and chilled them and gotten them to bloom early indoors. I have a room in my basement that we can keep at 40% to chill the bulbs. I have had great success with hyacinths, muscari, daffodils, and various small bulbs. But, I have never had success with tulips. The commercial growers grow them hydroponically, with very carefully controlled temperatures.