• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring HICV points to IHG points?

NikkoCharger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
I just attended the orange lake resort tour/presentation yesterday and bought into the $7,000 package that gives 30,000 points every year with the option to step up to a higher tier within a year if I want to and keep the same prices. The package doesn't seem like a good idea but I was sold on the idea that I could purchase HICV points and convert them into IHG points.

This works for me as I have an ebay store set up as my side hustle and often do road trips 1 or 2 states over to source new inventory. Often times I'll crash in a hotel for a day or 2 when its not feasible to sleep in the car overnight and the idea of buying points and converting them as well as the "last call" for longer stays really seems to fit my needs. However now that I am starting to do research its seems like there will hidden fees associated with transferring points that were not brought up during presentation/tour and those fees will basically break even when compared to just purchasing points directly from the IHG app or just spending cash like I'm already doing. It also seems like at times (during covid) people were unable to convert their points.

My main questions are:
Can anyone shed some light on this point situation?
Also if I were to rescind my offer and try to purchase an account second hand would it give me the ability to transfer points?

Any help is appreciated with this, Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
30,000 hicv would convert to 24,000 ihg points. It is a 5 to 4 transfer. Your mf plus annual membership fee is going to be way higher than the value of those points. If you purchase a Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach or Lake Geneva resale (not trust points at those locations would give you the ability to transfer but those deeds are getting harder to find and more expensive and using them for hotel points still aren't the best deal.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
It’s a poor transfer for IHG points
Very costly last resort move if you didn’t use your points you could transfer into ihg IF it’s current year points.

30,000 points are just about useless
You’ll have a $145 annual membership , and it will cost you $115 per reservation fee if you protect your reservation with point guard.

If you don’t have the ihg card, you should have one. You can buy IHG points.
You can buy 50,000 points get 50,000 pts for $500

I have a link for the card if you want it. It will give you a extra 10,000 pts & me for a referral

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
30,000 points are just about useless
You’ll have a $145 annual membership , and it will cost you $115 per reservation fee if you protect your reservation with point guard.

I'll second this opinion. Max-Time reservations, while discounted, aren't barn burner deals.

During peak times, you will find little inventory available unless you plan WWAAYY out. The 30K point package is just a come-on to set the hook for a future upgrade.

NikkoCharger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
Thank you all for the quick responses, I will be headed back home tomorrow and will be certified mailing my rescind letter Monday morning. So just making sure, if I were buy a second hand membership, something like this is what I would be looking at?

Reactions: DrQ

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Thank you all for the quick responses, I will be headed back home tomorrow and will be certified mailing my rescind letter Monday morning. So just making sure, if I were buy a second hand membership, something like this is what I would be looking at?
if all your planning to do is transfer to ihg points, there is no point in purchasing an hicv timeshare, even resale. The maintenance fees would be more expensive then just buying ihg points from ihg during their sales.

NikkoCharger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
Thanks guys for knocking some sense into me, I mailed in the rescind letter after getting back home and just recvieved my confirmation letter and refund check back from them.