• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips please! -Attending Sales presentation In singapore Sunday ( 01 Oct)

anujvelu

Reaction score
Dear Seniors on TUG,

I have been a lurker on TUG for the past few years and still don't understand a lot of what goes on.

All my research on TUG pointed me that Hilton program was the best, but in Asia where I live, the Marriott is a more better choice I feel.

The big day is coming up the day after on the 1st. Can you please give me any tips on what to expect and any good deals I can wrangle out of it?

Thanks all.

Velu

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
best suggestion we can give is for you to not purchase anything while at the presentation, but use it to get your questions answered and do your research before making any purchase be it developer or resale!

there are a number of threads here on the marriott forum id read endlessly before attending any presentation so you can be as prepared as possible!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can never really be prepared for your 1st presentation, other than to promise to yourself that you will not buy, and keep that proomise to yourself and kids. Leave your credit cards in the room safe. Then come back here and tell us what you were offered.Any deal will be on the table despite their claims of a one time offer, should you (mistakenly) choose to accept at a later time after doing more research.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure they very clearly identify to you what they are offering to sell, at what price and with what benefits:-
Asia Pacific Points?
Destination Club Enrolment
Annual Maintenance Fees
Annual Club Dues
Owner Status Level
MR Elite Level
Incentive/Bonus for Purchasing
...etc

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If after your presentation, you FULLY understand ALL of this (the numbers from my last pitch in NYC)....and you think what they presented is a good deal for you, buy it. If you don't understand all of it....then its time to come back here and ask a lot of questions.

37128803461_be30016de3_c.jpg

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just listen, my suggestion is not to buy. I would rent before I would purchase a timeshare.
Good luck.

anujvelu

Reaction score
Hi all.

Thanks for the kind advice. I did get through the presentation without committing to anything. :)

Very interesting and I will seek advice on it in another thread.

Regards,
Velu

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If after your presentation, you FULLY understand ALL of this (the numbers from my last pitch in NYC)....and you think what they presented is a good deal for you, buy it. If you don't understand all of it....then its time to come back here and ask a lot of questions.

Got me curious looking at the Math. In the end we bought 3000 points + Grand Vista Platinum 2BR every year. The 3000 points without any incentive (net - 20% off $13.84 per point), was $33,180. They did not allow us to apply an Encore package to it. Grand Vista was $8900. How was $41,520 derived?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Got me curious looking at the Math. In the end we bought 3000 points + Grand Vista Platinum 2BR every year. The 3000 points without any incentive (net - 20% off $13.84 per point), was $33,180. They did not allow us to apply an Encore package to it. Grand Vista was $8900. How was $41,520 derived?
$41,520 is merely 3000 points @ the rack rate of $13.84 per point. The discount on the 3000 points is the $6,240 number, which represents a 15% discount.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

That's actually one of the 'cleaner' whiteboards I have seen during a presentation ... :eek:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

I found the mistake. There shouldn't be an apostrophe. :D
marr-apos37128803461_be30016de3_c.jpg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I found the mistake. There shouldn't be an apostrophe. :D
View attachment 4841
My favorite is the "Retirement Living Will" in the lower right corner. I guess that's an enhancement from the "Retirement 401(k)" they used to pitch. I'm quite certain she has no idea what a living will even is.

Last edited:

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Hi all.

Thanks for the kind advice. I did get through the presentation without committing to anything. :)

Very interesting and I will seek advice on it in another thread.

Regards,
Velu

Well done :) If you don't mind sharing, what was it that they offered? I'm going to the Phuket resort next month and am wondering what are they selling in Asia nowadays (DC points, Asia points, something else?)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well done :) If you don't mind sharing, what was it that they offered? I'm going to the Phuket resort next month and am wondering what are they selling in Asia nowadays (DC points, Asia points, something else?)
Xpat, we will be there too next month.
Perhaps we will get a chance to meet up at one of the Owner Parties or...?

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Xpat, we will be there too next month.
Perhaps we will get a chance to meet up at one of the Owner Parties or...?

It will be a short stay for me (returning for a full week in January) as I've booked a side trip to Angkor Wat but it would certainly be a pleasure to meet TUG's legendary bazzap in person :)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be a short stay for me (returning for a full week in January) as I've booked a side trip to Angkor Wat but it would certainly be a pleasure to meet TUG's legendary bazzap in person :)
Gosh, you really will make me blush! We will be there from 3rd onwards though if dates match.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legendary!