• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on moving?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread people mentioned Oklahoma. My oldest son lived for 3 years while in the Air Force, couple of years finishing college (he is a Sooner), and a couple years working before he and his SO managed to move to Seattle. Every email, telephone call, letter started with: "Have I told you how much Oklahoma sucks." He lived in the Oklahoma City. He said they had 2 Seasons - hot or cold and icy. I lived in Oklahoma for about 6 Months in the late 70's while attending US Army Field Artillery School. I remember the almost total absence of trees and what they called a Mountain was a hill in Oregon.

Uh, that's one part of the state. There is nothing but trees in the eastern half. Including a national forest. But to each his own! I would not live in the Western part of the state either. Or, for you Colorado lovers, the eastern part of that state (the flatlands). I remember the first time I moved here, and my Dad flew in from Ohio, and, the first thing out of his mouth was, hey, there's trees here. Makes me laugh still. I wouldn't live anywhere else, but, I am obviously a minority on that. Though, 20 of the 95 lots here are Californians. The worst part of OKC is not heat or cold, it's the tornadoes out there (and softball size hail at times). You have all seen them on the news many times.

For those who might be shocked:

https://www.nationalforests.org/our-forests/find-a-forest/ouachita-national-forest

Speaking of Colorado, it would be equivalent of visiting from Kansas, seeing the border sign where it says Welcome to Colorado, Land of (something like) mountains and color, or fun, or whatever it says. If you just stayed on the eastern side, you would be like I was first time and say, WHAT mountains and what color, it's all brown!

Absolutely there are no Oregon mountains. The same could be said of most states, Florida, Ohio, Missouri, you name it. DW hates mountains. I am not found of the cold that comes with them. Except for the Big Bend in the S end of Texas, I recall being on top of those mountains (close to 8,000') and it was still 100 degrees.

Note, I was not picking on any state. I was merely trying to point out that people like different things. Definitely do not live where you do not like or enjoy, if you have a choice. I actually thought I would get more criticism for my post. People take their state personally in some cases!

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
... I actually thought I would get more criticism for my post. People take their state personally in some cases!

I've enjoyed people presenting their case for various places in this thread and elsewhere on TUG. Not only has that process given me new vacation destinations to consider, but also new possibilities for our next move. There is still so much of this country I want to see....

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All places have their pluses and minuses. It depends on what is important to you. That is why their are people virtually everywhere. The few places that are very sparsely populated are that way for an obvious reason....I'm looking at you Antartica o_O

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
All places have their pluses and minuses. It depends on what is important to you. That is why their are people virtually everywhere. The few places that are very sparsely populated are that way for an obvious reason....I'm looking at you Antartica o_O

Hey! NO POLLEN HERE!
And very dry!

McMurdo Weather.jpeg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey! NO POLLEN HERE!
And very dry!

View attachment 9129

I am sure it is dry, but it's also 17 degrees, likely a warm day. :) For those of you North Dakotans, Minnesotans, etc, a hot winter day. We still like seasons, probably too cold (and hot) here for some. We've been here almost 6 years, coldest night we have seen is 12. Actually, much worse (at times) is Mount Washington here in the good ol USA. You would not want to be there on a windy day.... But fun to visit in non winter.

I agree that it is great hearing about other states. Still a few I have not been to and need to get there.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I would like to hear from our international friends and the pros and cons of their cities.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I take it she hasn't been to San Francisco, Chicago, New York ... :D I worked in downtown Dallas and saw the homeless panhandling.

Yes there are rough parts of Austin, what city does not have them?

Funny story, my wife and I went to a restaurant in near downtown San Antonio. This was long before consumer GPS and smart phones. I hired a car to drive us to the restaurant and on the way I saw a woman on the street corner. I asked the driver, "Is that what I think?" and he replied "Yep". That part of town didn't seem especially "seedy".

She lives in NY and has been to the city a zillion times.

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
She lives in NY and has been to the city a zillion times.
Then I wonder who gave her the impression Austin was a clean "Leave to Beaver" city. It's unofficial motto is "Keep Austin Weird". o_O

Maybe they were thinking of Austin MN ... Spam, spam, spam , spam ...

Last edited:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been great fun reading everyone's thoughts, experiences, and comparisons! Especially for those places I've only visited and wondered what it would be like to live there. I've lived in a number of very different places, including some mentioned above (Minneapolis, Denver, SF Bay Area, Los Angeles, Sacramento). Got fond memories of each of them.

I've been in the San Diego area now for almost 30 years and still love it here. Yes, it's expensive, though someone coming from the SF Peninsula/Silicon Valley would find it pretty reasonable (home prices are still half of what they are there - of course, salaries are lower, too). Chances are, DW and I will stay here in retirement, but we also love the desert, and occasionally ponder joining many others and eventually moving to a 55+ community in or around Phoenix.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I will plug our local retirement area. Coastal Delaware

Very little snow and a nice fall.
A lot of retirees especially air force due to dover air force base
With above a lot of services and activities geared for the retired
We refer it as slower delaware as opposed to lower delaware due to the laid back atmosphere
taxes very low. No sales tax very low real estate in that county and an exclusion for pension income

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I will plug our local retirement area. Coastal Delaware

Very little snow and a nice fall.
A lot of retirees especially air force due to dover air force base
With above a lot of services and activities geared for the retired
We refer it as slower delaware as opposed to lower delaware due to the laid back atmosphere
taxes very low. No sales tax very low real estate in that county and an exclusion for pension income

Ah, I've been to Ocean View last summer, anywhere near there? I liked the area. Since it's apparently a resort town, few people in winter though.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, I've been to Ocean View last summer, anywhere near there? I liked the area. Since it's apparently a resort town, few people in winter though.

We owned a house the next town back. The closer to the beach you are the less people are year round. When we bought our neighborhood was mostly summer homes. By the time we sold 2 yrs ago we were the last one. I was amazed how crowded it was getting even in winter. The Bethany Beach/Ocean View is better than the Rehoboth/Lewes area as it is less crowded. At this point only the very beach front restaurants close up for winter. If you do not need beach front or block. Real estate is not that bad. What costs 2 million can be had for 300k a few miles back. The retirement area is now stretching almost 10 miles from the actual coast.

PS anybody going give me a holler and I will let you know where to eat and especially where to go for happy hours.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Any military brats out there?
Yep
Earlier in this thread people mentioned Oklahoma. ... I lived in Oklahoma for about 6 Months in the late 70's while attending US Army Field Artillery School. I remember the almost total absence of trees and what they called a Mountain was a hill in Oregon.
I recognized the description of Mount Scott outside of Fort Sill.

Ich wurde in Deutschland geboren, als mein Vater Atomic Annie durch die Landschaft schleppte.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then I wonder who gave her the impression Austin was a clean "Leave to Beaver" city. It's unofficial motto is "Keep Austin Weird". o_O

Maybe they were thinking of Austin MN ... Spam, spam, spam , spam ...

Bloody vikings!

Reactions: DrQ

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Yes to Military Brat.