• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Amtrak Roomette Sale is Great For Socially Distant Travel

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
That be great for couples where one snores too much.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Amtrak was filthy before and barely cleaned...how we can trust them now when cleaning matters so much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Amtrak was filthy before and barely cleaned...how we can trust them now when cleaning matters so much?

The rooms are so small you can clean them yourself and bring your own sheets pillows. My issue would be the air/heat system .

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The rooms are so small you can clean them yourself and bring your own sheets pillows. My issue would be the air/heat system .

I've been on many. They are not clean, and yes, I've always done it myself. Still, if you're on an overnight (which is how I've done it, all but one time from San Jose to LA) you have communal toilets, sinks, and showers. And I assume they've closed the restaurant car. Sorry, I don't see this as safe by any means at this time. I spend a night in a hotel room before Amtrak (and I won't go to hotels right now, either, though not just because of their cleaning reports (did you see the article I posted last week re this issue?) but also because it wouldn't be much of a trip without restaurants, hotel/resort amenities, and other activities.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I've been on many. They are not clean, and yes, I've always done it myself. Still, if you're on an overnight (which is how I've done it, all but one time from San Jose to LA) you have communal toilets, sinks, and showers. And I assume they've closed the restaurant car. Sorry, I don't see this as safe by any means at this time. I spend a night in a hotel room before Amtrak (and I won't go to hotels right now, either, though not just because of their cleaning reports (did you see the article I posted last week re this issue?) but also because it wouldn't be much of a trip without restaurants, hotel/resort amenities, and other activities.
The line I take often has its own commode in your room. You can lock yourself in and depart at your stop. The dining cart is no longer sit down service. You can get take away food not very good so I bring my own. I agree with you not safe especially for my stated reason before.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The line I take often has its own commode in your room. You can lock yourself in and depart at your stop. The dining cart is no longer sit down service. You can get take away food not very good so I bring my own. I agree with you not safe especially for my stated reason before.

The Superliners don't have those...only down the hall.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the price, I’d travel in a roomette again — the seats are comfortable, the cabin is quiet and pleasant-smelling, the included meals are ample and edible, and it’s nice to lie flat while sleeping

"Overall, I found the room to be very comfortable and a pleasant way to travel."

"These were kept to an acceptable standard of cleanliness throughout the trip."

I've taken Amtrak numerous times and always found traveling on Amtrak to be a very nice experience.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The best roomette trip I’ve been on was from Portland to Chicago, just a few years ago. And last year I went Chicago to Boston. These cars are old, and it shows. Not clean, though acceptable. I love train travel and wish we had a better option in the States.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our family took Amtrak from the San Francisco Bay Area to Seattle. We had one of the family rooms. Not comfortable at all. We spent most of our time in the observation car, and our kids wandered around (the rule was, when the train stops DON'T GET OFF!). They had an area designated for kids where they had movies and games. The other rule we had for them was, when meals are announced, come find us in the dining car.

So, for the discomfort. Older dd's bed was too short for her. The top bunk (dh and I traded off) was very uncomfortable as there was almost no room to move and very little head space. The restrooms were communal. Ours was only a one night trip, thank goodness because I didn't sleep at all that night.

Dh and I have taken other Amtrak trains on the east coast, but they have been much shorter trips. The last one we took was from Montreal to NYC. The food was terrible. There was only a snack bar, with not much choice at all, and they ran out of a lot of things.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The food was terrible. There was only a snack bar, with not much choice at all, and they ran out of a lot of things.

Oh yeah, the food.

My last trip in a roomette (last year, Chicago to Boston), they didn’t even have full service dining car. They had prepared box dinners since their budget was slashed they got rid of the cook to order option on many of the lines. It was very disappointing since I couldn’t eat much of it, and what I could was just bad.

Until and unless they improve the overall product I doubt I would travel on Amtrak for another overnight. In non-Covid times I would be open to LA to Bay Area again (it’s about an eight hour trip) and that’s about it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Oh yeah, the food.

My last trip in a roomette (last year, Chicago to Boston), they didn’t even have full service dining car. They had prepared box dinners since their budget was slashed they got rid of the cook to order option on many of the lines. It was very disappointing since I couldn’t eat much of it, and what I could was just bad.

Until and unless they improve the overall product I doubt I would travel on Amtrak for another overnight. In non-Covid times I would be open to LA to Bay Area again (it’s about an eight hour trip) and that’s about it.

When we took the overnight trip the dining car was open and the food wasn't bad.

A fun train trip that I took several times with my dds was from Emeryville (SF Bay Area) to Old Town Sacramento. It was a nice day trip. Get there, have time to look around, have lunch, and come home.

And at least at the train to Seattle, (and the ones on the east coast) the scenery was gorgeous.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When we took the overnight trip the dining car was open and the food wasn't bad.

Amtrak is no longer offering traditional dining car service on its trains east of Chicago and New Orleans. This is a sad development in the downward slide of Amtrak’s long-distance trains, especially under CEO Richard Anderson’s leadership. There have been a number of “obituaries” for Amtrak dining service, but they are misplaced in time. They have either come too soon, or they should have been written about 15 years ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Yes I had read that, probably here, awhile ago. I probably wouldn't have done an overnight trip again, just because the sleeping was so uncomfortable. I really do enjoy train travel though. And loved it in Switzerland.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes I had read that, probably here, awhile ago. I probably wouldn't have done an overnight trip again, just because the sleeping was so uncomfortable. I really do enjoy train travel though. And loved it in Switzerland.

European trains are so much better.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
European trains are so much better.

They are ON TIME! Of course Amtrak doesn't own the rails and their trains can be halted to move the freight trains.

When we were in Switzerland I was on the train by myself. It was getting close to the station and people started getting up in order to disembark. All of a sudden the train stopped! Unheard of. But no one got upset, just waited quietly until it started up again.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They are ON TIME! Of course Amtrak doesn't own the rails and their trains can be halted to move the freight trains.

Sadly, that’s no longer the case. My German friends and I discussed this when I was there last year. I even missed a train because my morning train was late...and the staff at DB told me they are no longer as punctual as they once were. My friends told me to always choose a nonstop train, even if it’s a bit longer trip, so there’s no disappointment or last minute changes. It didn’t used to be that way.

When we were in Switzerland I was on the train by myself. It was getting close to the station and people started getting up in order to disembark. All of a sudden the train stopped! Unheard of. But no one got upset, just waited quietly until it started up again.

Yup, this happens more often than you might think. It’s not uncommon at all.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sadly, that’s no longer the case. My German friends and I discussed this when I was there last year. I even missed a train because my morning train was late...and the staff at DB told me they are no longer as punctual as they once were. My friends told me to always choose a nonstop train, even if it’s a bit longer trip, so there’s no disappointment or last minute changes. It didn’t used to be that way.

Yup, this happens more often than you might think. It’s not uncommon at all.

We were there quite a few years back. A friend of ours who was living in Zurich at the time said that the trains were never late and that people would get upset when they were. That's why I was surprised there wasn't more concern when the train I was on stopped. That was the only incidence when a train was late while we were there.