• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me your favorite studios

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
I sold one of my Hyatt weeks and my buyer (Hyatt) didn’t want the 2024 useage. So I had to make 2 exchanges before completing the sale, which I did as 1BR “placeholders” using the highest 1BR points value with EPlus and the intention of retrading. For those of you unfamiliar with Hyatt, this should have meant I could trade into any 1BR unit, including the nicest Marriotts and Westins, and my only limitations should have been brand preference and the need to exchange into open inventory rather than using OGS. Within a few weeks of making these exchanges, Hyatt/Marriott majorly devalued these weeks, and now to retrade into 1BR units will cost more points which I don’t currently have- although I also own an EOY Hyatt unit with next useage in 2026. I can start using points from that week in May 2025, but I would prefer to sell it points intact before MF come due in Nov 2025.

So: My sunk costs (MF + exchange fee + EPlus fee) for each week is around $1500. Rather than pay another MF so that I can use more points to make 1BR retrades, I’m probably smart to consider cutting my losses and retrading into nice studios. It’s just Mr. H and I, so this isn’t a huge limiter. I’d love to hear about your favorite studios. Im an early riser so a balcony would be nice (to not disturb Mr. H). I also make use of kitchens and washer dryers. So these are bonuses for us.

We can’t travel using these weeks until May 2025 at the earliest. Preferred locations are Southeast US (including Florida), New England in summer, Caribbean, Costa Rica, Europe, Cancun, Hawaii, Western US and then the rest of the world, in that order.

I know the obvious answer is “Westins” and Westin Kaanapali is a thought. What other Westins have studios that might be found in open inventory? But I’m sure there are gems out there I haven’t thought of.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Summer in New England...I've stayed in studios at Attitash that had washers and dryers, as well as a patio. (Stanton House.) I would imagine that Smugglers' Notch studios might also check this box, though I've never stayed in anything smaller than a one bedroom there. Good luck!

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
The studio in Marriott's Los Suenos in Costa Rica has a mini kitchen with dishwasher, full refrigerator and microwave
IMG20230816161333.jpg
IMG20230816161327.jpg

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've not stayed in these specific studios so its the location that I'm recommending and the quality of the overall resort. Using II may limit your ability to get a decent view, but you may get lucky.
The elite resorts on Madeira have studios and I see them come up in open inventory for over new year for very low points, so that is worth considering as it an excellent time to be on the Island as the fireworks for NYE are stunning.
There are studios at the MVC to the east of Paris which come up in open inventory. The Bonvoy website says they have a kitchenette and they say there is a small outdoor space. Its a great place to base a stay for exploring that part of France.
All the best, update us on how it goes when you get to it.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold one of my Hyatt weeks and my buyer (Hyatt) didn’t want the 2024 useage. So I had to make 2 exchanges before completing the sale, which I did as 1BR “placeholders” using the highest 1BR points value with EPlus and the intention of retrading. For those of you unfamiliar with Hyatt, this should have meant I could trade into any 1BR unit, including the nicest Marriotts and Westins, and my only limitations should have been brand preference and the need to exchange into open inventory rather than using OGS. Within a few weeks of making these exchanges, Hyatt/Marriott majorly devalued these weeks, and now to retrade into 1BR units will cost more points which I don’t currently have- although I also own an EOY Hyatt unit with next useage in 2026. I can start using points from that week in May 2025, but I would prefer to sell it points intact before MF come due in Nov 2025.

So: My sunk costs (MF + exchange fee + EPlus fee) for each week is around $1500. Rather than pay another MF so that I can use more points to make 1BR retrades, I’m probably smart to consider cutting my losses and retrading into nice studios. It’s just Mr. H and I, so this isn’t a huge limiter. I’d love to hear about your favorite studios. Im an early riser so a balcony would be nice (to not disturb Mr. H). I also make use of kitchens and washer dryers. So these are bonuses for us.

We can’t travel using these weeks until May 2025 at the earliest. Preferred locations are Southeast US (including Florida), New England in summer, Caribbean, Costa Rica, Europe, Cancun, Hawaii, Western US and then the rest of the world, in that order.

I know the obvious answer is “Westins” and Westin Kaanapali is a thought. What other Westins have studios that might be found in open inventory? But I’m sure there are gems out there I haven’t thought of.
I did a retrade and was charged according to the old point chart in effect when I made the original exchange. This was in February. 430 for a studio when my retrade was 650. I was not charged the additional points.

I don’t know what the rules are for your situation.

It makes it difficult to put in a request when I don’t know what I’ll be charged in points as well.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
MVC Points
I did a retrade and was charged according to the old point chart in effect when I made the original exchange. This was in February. 430 for a studio when my retrade was 650. I was not charged the additional points.

I don’t know what the rules are for your situation.

It makes it difficult to put in a request when I don’t know what I’ll be charged in points as well.

Interesting. I was trying to be succinct in my original post. I actually have three EPlus exchanges. One is into Quarter House in New Orleans in Jan, I intend to use this one but if I could retrade into a DVC I’d do it. I didn’t even try when units for these dates recently became available because I was told this wasn’t possible. This exchange was made before the points chart change.

Looking at my history, my other two EPlus exchanges used 900 points so I must have actually made them after points chart changed. I remember needing to make these exchanges in a hurry before we got to point X in the closing process, and this was right around the time of the devalUstinov. There wasn’t really adequate information at the time (or now) to know the best strategy to take. I have been hoping that I could find a nice brand timeshare 1BR retrade option but it looks like for 1BRs I’m limited to shoulder season off brands or good brands in the dead lowest offseason.

However- if I could retrade the Quarter House unit into DVC in Jan/Feb, I’d do that and then for the other two 900 point Eplus retrades shoot for a Sept 2026 Sept DVC (these are possible) with one unit and likely something like Quarter House into New Orleans with the other unit. I’d be pretty happy with 2 DVC trades, plus a New Orleans off brand 1BR.

How did you accomplish the retrade using the old points chart values? It
will be frustrating if an AKL shows up for the time I already have off work but disappears before I manage to get II on the phone. But I assume that’s the approach?

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was trying to be succinct in my original post. I actually have three EPlus exchanges. One is into Quarter House in New Orleans in Jan, I intend to use this one but if I could retrade into a DVC I’d do it. I didn’t even try when units for these dates recently became available because I was told this wasn’t possible. This exchange was made before the points chart change.

Looking at my history, my other two EPlus exchanges used 900 points so I must have actually made them after points chart changed. I remember needing to make these exchanges in a hurry before we got to point X in the closing process, and this was right around the time of the devalUstinov. There wasn’t really adequate information at the time (or now) to know the best strategy to take. I have been hoping that I could find a nice brand timeshare 1BR retrade option but it looks like for 1BRs I’m limited to shoulder season off brands or good brands in the dead lowest offseason.

However- if I could retrade the Quarter House unit into DVC in Jan/Feb, I’d do that and then for the other two 900 point Eplus retrades shoot for a Sept 2026 Sept DVC (these are possible) with one unit and likely something like Quarter House into New Orleans with the other unit. I’d be pretty happy with 2 DVC trades, plus a New Orleans off brand 1BR.

How did you accomplish the retrade using the old points chart values? It
will be frustrating if an AKL shows up for the time I already have off work but disappears before I manage to get II on the phone. But I assume that’s the approach?
I just did the retrade online because I had enough points either way and I wanted it. I wasn’t charged the extra points and I didn’t ask why….My thought was the exchange and eplus purchase was under the old rules and point chart so I was grandfathered in. But I honestly don’t know why.

I don’t like all the uncertainty about how many points I will be charged with some of my ongoing requests. It makes it difficult to manage my points.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a spreadsheet a few years ago based upon information that I found online. I did it pre-covid so take it for what it is worth. We have not stayed in most of these places, and most are west coast, but I thought that I would add it in case it helps someone. The numbers are the square footage of the units, per the resort website.

Marriott/Starwood
Westin Desert Willow Palm Desert 600 queen in studio, ltd. Kitchen, w/d
Westin Mission Villas Rancho Mirage 560 queen in studio, lg kitchenette, w/d
Kierland Phoenix 530 king in studio, ltd kitchen, w/d
Maui Ocean Club Lahaina 525
Westin Kauai Princeville 510 queen in studio, lg kitchenette
WKORV Lahaina 500 King in studio, w/d - no balcony
WKORVN Lahaina 480 King in studio, w/d
Mountain Valley Lodge Breckenridge 450 queen in studio
Grand Chateau Las Vegas 435
Shadow Ridge Palm Desert 425 King in studio, King + fireplace in master
Lagunamar Cancun 400 queen in studio, lg kitchenette
Ko'Olina Oahu 360
Timber Lodge Tahoe 350 king in studio
Canyon Villas Phoenix 325 sitting area, King bed in studio
DSV 1 Palm Desert 300 2 dbl beds in studio
Streamside Vail 300 no balcony in studio, king or 2 dbls**different configurations
Mountainside Park City 300 King in studio
Summitwatch Park City 300 king in studio
DSVII Palm Desert 200 King bed in studio

Other:
Sedona (Summit/Ridge) Sedona 470 queen bed + sleeper (we stayed here. It was fine, not great, but if you have to pay resort fees, I don't think that the value is there).

Two that we stayed in were in Cabo and both were nice - Grand Solmar at Lands End and Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (pretty sure that is RCI only). Both units were huge, had ocean views and king beds. The resorts were great.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Maui Ocean Club square footage of 525 square feet has to be a mistake. I did stay in one of these. They are pretty small. Or perhaps Marriott counts the square footage of the balcony/lanai. But even then not 525 square feet.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the Maui Ocean Club square footage of 525 square feet has to be a mistake. I did stay in one of these. They are pretty small. Or perhaps Marriott counts the square footage of the balcony/lanai. But even then not 525 square feet.
Marriott.com shows them as 400sqft. But that is the same as the studio in the old towers. So not sure that is even right.

Daytripz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Willow Ridge
Breckenridge Grand

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure that I pulled that info from somewhere, but since it was years ago I don't remember the exact source. I agree that they may have included the lanai, or (always possible) it's a typo. :D

I was surprised when I went back through my II history that since 2011 we have only stayed in 4 studios - Grand Solmar (great), Sedona Summit (fine, not great), DSVI (too small for us - no kitchen was a deal breaker), plus the Donatello (listed as a hotel room) that was pretty good due to location near Union Square in San Francisco. Otherwise, I generally hold out for a 1 bedroom. I am now completely spoiled by timesharing.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
The Crane Resort in Barbados has a 739 SF studio that is called a Junior Suite on their website. The only downside is that there is no ocean view. The Crane is available through HGVC and RCI. We stayed there years ago, and the studio was the second bedroom in a two-bedroom unit. :D

Be careful when booking, because there is another development in this resort called The Park Residences, and the floor plans are different.

1726928541375.png

jeffwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coral Sands, Island Links, Port O' Call, Royal Dunes Players Club, Grandview, Capital Vacations VIP Gold, and about 850K RCI points.
Wyndham Santa Barbara in Pompano Beach. If you're looking for a great vacation in south Florida, I highly recommend this resort. If a studio is all that's available, TAKE IT. The unit is large, has a full kitchen, and for a couple with or without small kids, you will have all the space you really need.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Studio units at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun have washer, dryer, 2 burner cooktop, convection microwave and ocean view balcony.

Only a queen bed if that makes a difference

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Vistana and MVC studios tend to be more complete with a medium refrigerator, 2 burner cooktop, in-unit w/d and accommodates 4 (but cozy)

HGVC studios tend to be smaller with a microwave, hotel fridge and sink. No in-unit w/d. Max 2 occupancy. Their Breckenridge studio offers a full kitchen and fireplace but is very cozy. Valdoro was not originally an HGVC resort so designed differently.

Some former DRI have larger studios but I haven't stayed there:

Cabo Azul has a good sized studio with a kitchen. Panorama (Embarc) has a large studio with more complete kitchen.

elizkress

TUG Member
Reaction score
The studios at Wyndham Sea Gardens are great units and right on the beach, not on the west side of A1A . . And there is a huge cabana bar with entertainment . . A fishing pier and oceanside dining are a big bonus . . Pompano Beach is just a quiet area with a lot of things to do and the location is great . .

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
MVC Points
Thanks for the input everyone, please keep it coming.

Heres what happened since I last posted: based on the upthread post by @DAman, I thought I might be able to retrade one of these weeks (booked before the devaluation) into DVC. The premise was that weeks booked based on the old points chart retain the ability to retrade based on the old points chart.

I found a week in early Feb, and was able to exchange- or so I thought- into a 1BR at Saratoga Springs. I got a confirmation email of the retrade- one that clearly stated it was pending me having enough points. We always get this with Hyatt exchanges and I don’t even read this first email anymore, I just know it’s a two step process. I have been super busy at work, and while I had time and without thinking it through completely, I used DVC points to book two adjacent nights in a 1BR at Wilderness Lodge- a transaction which required that I borrow points and purchase a few one-time-use points (both of which are irreversible transactions).

You can see where this story is going- the retrade was then cancelled by II due to insufficient points in my Hyatt account. I immediately emailed Mark DelCampo, the II liaison to TUG, who everyone raves is so helpful. My hope was that the old points chart values would be honored. Two days and one follow up email from me, I finally got a curt reply that essentially said “um, no”.

So I’m back to square one and also stuck with a 2 night DVC reservation that I can’t use (not entirely out of luck, I can rent this reservation but actually wanted to use those points next year).

I will admit I’m pretty bitter about all this. In the Hyatt system, you cant borrow points in any effective way. So giving folks 6 months or so heads up they’d be changing the points charts would have allowed people to strategize their points use without sucking the Hyatt Vacation Club system dry of points. Then to have no mercy to the folks caught with exchanges that are hard to use- is just such poor customer service on the part of Hyatt and Interval, who are both owned by Marriott. The underlying reason for this move was to try to force Hyatt owners into buying points from HVC but I just wonder why they think poor customer service would actually encourage further purchases?!

Whatever. There’s nothing to do about it but move on.

Ckquis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tanglewood Vacation Villas
Grand Caymanian has nice large studio unit and is in 7 mile beach area, but not on 7 mile beach.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, please keep it coming.

Heres what happened since I last posted: based on the upthread post by @DAman, I thought I might be able to retrade one of these weeks (booked before the devaluation) into DVC. The premise was that weeks booked based on the old points chart retain the ability to retrade based on the old points chart.

I found a week in early Feb, and was able to exchange- or so I thought- into a 1BR at Saratoga Springs. I got a confirmation email of the retrade- one that clearly stated it was pending me having enough points. We always get this with Hyatt exchanges and I don’t even read this first email anymore, I just know it’s a two step process. I have been super busy at work, and while I had time and without thinking it through completely, I used DVC points to book two adjacent nights in a 1BR at Wilderness Lodge- a transaction which required that I borrow points and purchase a few one-time-use points (both of which are irreversible transactions).

You can see where this story is going- the retrade was then cancelled by II due to insufficient points in my Hyatt account. I immediately emailed Mark DelCampo, the II liaison to TUG, who everyone raves is so helpful. My hope was that the old points chart values would be honored. Two days and one follow up email from me, I finally got a curt reply that essentially said “um, no”.

So I’m back to square one and also stuck with a 2 night DVC reservation that I can’t use (not entirely out of luck, I can rent this reservation but actually wanted to use those points next year).

I will admit I’m pretty bitter about all this. In the Hyatt system, you cant borrow points in any effective way. So giving folks 6 months or so heads up they’d be changing the points charts would have allowed people to strategize their points use without sucking the Hyatt Vacation Club system dry of points. Then to have no mercy to the folks caught with exchanges that are hard to use- is just such poor customer service on the part of Hyatt and Interval, who are both owned by Marriott. The underlying reason for this move was to try to force Hyatt owners into buying points from HVC but I just wonder why they think poor customer service would actually encourage further purchases?!

Whatever. There’s nothing to do about it but move on.
That stinks! And you stated the issue accurately as we should have been given advance notice and a copy of the new point charts.

ncaahockeyfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Breckenridge Grand Vacations, Hyatt Residence Club
GP7 and GP8! Fabulous properties and the kitchenettes include a dishwasher