• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taxes on Frequent Flyer Tickets

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just booked two international frequent flyer tickets and was amazed that the taxes were over $200 for each ticket!! Isn't that crazy?

Sharon

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Remember that come tax time.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying out of the UK on a long haul flight brings a huge tax. This tax was imposed by Gordon Brown while he was still Chancellor of the Exchequer not long before he became Prime Minister. He justified it as a tax to discourage people from flying in order to ''save the planet''. The Netherlands has a massive new tax justified for similar reasons that will go into effect on July 1, imposed by their center-left government. They are the only European countries to have this tax.

While my flights to the UK are now short haul, with a much lower tax, if I were going to the UK from the US, I would fly open jaws with the return flight from Ireland or even Germany or France, and use a cheap LCC flight as a bridge to the return flight. This way, one only pays the much lower short haul UK tax. If I were flying to the Netherlands, I would fly back from Brussels, Belgium and bridge those two with a train.

There is something else you have to watch out for on European airlines. They often include a ''fuel surcharge'' on the tax line and charge you that on an award ticket like it was a tax, which is a completely dishonest practice. The only US airline I know that plays this deceiptful game is Delta, and so far only if you are originating in Europe. That started in January, and they say they intend to take it systemwide at some point. I was able to find summer award tickets a few weeks ago for my son across the pond originating in Europe on both Northwest and Delta. NW wanted $86 in taxes and fees, which was all legitimately taxes, while DL wanted $335 in taxes and fees, the majority of which was a huge ''fuel surcharge''.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying from the UK, it does not matter what airline you are on. If you are flying longhaul, Gordon Brown's huge ''save the planet'' tax is going to nail you. And if you are flying from the Netherlands after July 1, you will have the same problem.

You ought to check a ticket flying open jaws into London and out of Dublin, then take a RyanAir hop one way between the two.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our taxes flying out of Toronto, even to Florida, are usually in the $200 range. For that reason (plus the fact that we love Southwest ), we drive to Buffalo and do a hotel park-and-fly.

Dori

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our taxes flying out of Toronto, even to Florida, are usually in the $200 range. For that reason (plus the fact that we love Southwest ), we drive to Buffalo and do a hotel park-and-fly.

Dori

And why we fly from Seattle, unless we're flying FF. OUr taxes last month on tickets to Hawaii weren't too bad.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dori

I wonder if they are dishonestly sneaking a ''fuel surcharge'' (designated YQ, I beleive) into your ''taxes'' calculation. Fuel is an integral and necessary part of the basic service being sold, and an honest airlines simply includes it as part of the fare. A dishonest airline tries to insert it as a seperate charge on the tax line so that they can gouge passengers on award tickets with it, and so that they can advertise deceptive fares.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked two international frequent flyer tickets and was amazed that the taxes were over $200 for each ticket!! Isn't that crazy?

Sharon

Ironically, I just paid $57 each for 2 FF tickets on AA to Aruba. I asked and they said this in only on international flights. New to me; but then this is my first FF flight out of the US.
Speaking of taxes---we found a "glitich" on the AA website that caused us to miss our return flight reservation. We leave a day later, requiring a hotel for one night. We are going to pay over $70 tax for ONE NIGHT in Aruba (unless we can get back on the flight we wanted later--we have 10 months). I think I'm staying domestic from now on.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some Caribbean islands do have a departure tax of $20-25, which is sometimes collected with the other ticket taxes and sometimes paid at the airport. Fortunately, they haven't started to try to ''save the planet'' like the UK and Netherlands. France also has an annoying, but much smaller, ticket tax of around $20 to fund third world social programs.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Whoops- I didn't see the "international" part of that post. I see the word TAXES and my eyes glaze over.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
And why we fly from Seattle, unless we're flying FF. OUr taxes last month on tickets to Hawaii weren't too bad.
Bev, when you fly from Seattle, do you stay overnight in Seattle? If you do, which hotel do you usually stay in? We need 1 night in the fall on our return from the Big Island. Thanks.

Elli